PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday @ the Spa...

Bubbles
08-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Hey...

Dropped about $6 on Friday, putting me in the red by $4.00. I'll try to gain some money here. I don't handicap steeplechases, so we'll start with the second...

2nd-This card has three baby races, which is unusual. We start out with a 6 and 1/2-furlong one. APRIL EYES is my top pick. She's worked well and is by Numerous (Speedy and plenty of stamina to back it up.); should have no trouble at this distance. CANNON IN G completes a longshot-filled exacta. She comes off of a nice gate work and cannot be overlooked. A DEE DOUBLE YOU goes from turf to dirt and gets Johnny Velasquez; both are very positive angles.

3rd-We shorten to 5 and 1/2-furlongs for another two-year-old maiden race. FIRST BLUSH is my best bet of the day. Jerkins is phenomenal (sp.?) with first-time starters, especially when ridden by below average jockeys (Comical but true; Rojas is on this one.). He has incredible works and is the one to catch. COUNTRY LAWYER was a game second last out at Belmont. Chavez is very good with frontrunners, and this one should be setting the early pace. CHIEF CHEROKEE has very good gate works. Cherokee Run is a very good debut sire; deserves a very long look.

4th-This is another sprint where longshots are incredibly live. SHAMROCK BLUES is 12-1 on the morning-line. He gets Bridgmohan, who's been unusually hot lately, and drops down in class; dangerous on her best day. RUDE COYOTE is being wheeled back on ten days' rest. She has won at this meet before and should fire here. COVEY ROOST lost to Rude Coyote by three last out. The far outside post hurts her, but she should get up for a piece.

5th-In the first route race of the afternoon (1 and 1/16 on the grass.), I went with SPECTACULAIREONTAP. She closed well here last out and has won two of three at the Spa; watch for her late. GAYLE'S GLORY completes the exacta. She stole her last race here; that result could repeat if nobody challenges her. SOME IRISH LEGEND bounced badly at a mile last out. If she makes a move on the far turn, she'll be very tough to catch.

6th-Another baby race here, and, in this one, I went with HERECOMESBRICE. This Hennessy colt has very solid works over the surface and is the one to catch. Another horse with solid works is RIVERCARD. She's improved dramatically since being shipped to Saratoga; is playable. SACRED VOW stopped badly over an off-track on Whitney Day. She's worked very well since then; gets Day and has a fair shot.

7th-In this seven-furlong allowance, I went with ONE N THREE. This horse has run second twice in a row at this level; definitely the one to catch. BEAU'S FANTASY has good speed. With the track being as speed-favoring as it is, he is one to watch out for. SHERM hasn't raced since March. However, his works are not bad, and he merits an exotics play.

8th-This 1 and 1/8-mile allowance is wide-open. I'll go with FISHER POND. This horse has been out two months, but has great early speed, and all speedballs in this field must answer to him and the Mig. THIS GUNS FOR HIRE also has good speed, but was tiring at the end of his last race. He did win, but by two diminishing lengths, which does not sit well with me. DR. ROCKETT was a clear second to Travers runner Saint Marden last out. He's shown flashes of speed, and at 12-1, he looks awfully tempting.

9th-In the 1 and 1/16-mile finale, I went with E K'S JET. She ran the hands off of the stopwatches in a recent turf work over the training track, making her dirt flops a throw-out. WILLOW BEND complets the exacta. She ran a decent time in her last turf try, making her a fairly dangerous filly. DEGROVE ran well last out. She should be pressing the pace early, but 8-5 is a bit extreme.

Any questions?

SilverSow
08-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Interesting choices... I even agree with some of 'em! LOL... others I think haven't a prayer, but that's why they run the races, isn't it?

I'm hoping that closers will start to show their faces and that last weekend's rain washed the early speed outa the Spa, although yesterday's results sure show a return to the speed bias that's dominated the meet.

Anyway... My picks...

1st Race: Loverineveryport and Miles Ahead... box 'em...

2nd: Sammy Moonammy and A Double Dee You... in doubles with...

3rd: Country Lawyer and First Blush... Pick 'em rounds out the trifecta...

4th: Rude Coyote, Mom's Appeal, and Covey Roost... in no particular order...

5th: Spectaculaire On Tap, Gayle's Glory, and we'll throw You'll Be Happy in for a share...

6th: Like Alton Bay a lot - throw out the last one in the mud... and plug in Gulch Approval along with Herecomesbrice...

7th: One N Three and Smart Tap... and if Sherm's ready, that's the 3rd pick...

8th: Crimson Hero, This Guns For Hire, and Fisher Pond...

9th: We'll throw in a ton of horses since I'm using 3 from the AE list here... I'll go with Dillye, Degrove, Lilly Y, E K's Jet, and addTiger's Halfmoon and Willow Bend in that order as the scratches take the early ones out.

Rock & Roll!