PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle

Tom
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Is it jsut me, or is launching this thing a bad idea?
Sounds more like a "fixer-uper" than a space vehicle.
2 of 5 refused to sign off on the luanch, they are talking about what to do if/when it fails, and making economic descisions instead of safety decisions.

When you consider how many flights against how many failures and lost lives, the shuttle safety record is horrendously BAD. If that failure rate happened to the ailines, we would ground everyone of them.

Some NASA nut on CNN just now talking about how he has three orbiters out of maintainence and ready to go if needed for a rescue. My question then, why use one with an obvious crack in foam that was directly responsible for the failure of one mission already?

For the money we spend on the space program ( and I think it is worth every penny) I do think we need somehting better than NASA to run it.
I can't help but remeber the late night telphone conferences where the suppliers told NASA that the O rings would fail, and NASA bullied them into finally supporting the ill fated launch. It was then that I lost all faith in NASA and have never regained any respect for that group.
I hope all goes well, but I think this launch is reckless.

Sailwolf
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Is it jsut me, or is launching this thing a bad idea?
Sounds more like a "fixer-uper" than a space vehicle.
2 of 5 refused to sign off on the luanch, they are talking about what to do if/when it fails, and making economic descisions instead of safety decisions.

When you consider how many flights against how many failures and lost lives, the shuttle safety record is horrendously BAD. If that failure rate happened to the ailines, we would ground everyone of them.

Some NASA nut on CNN just now talking about how he has three orbiters out of maintainence and ready to go if needed for a rescue. My question then, why use one with an obvious crack in foam that was directly responsible for the failure of one mission already?

For the money we spend on the space program ( and I think it is worth every penny) I do think we need somehting better than NASA to run it.
I can't help but remeber the late night telphone conferences where the suppliers told NASA that the O rings would fail, and NASA bullied them into finally supporting the ill fated launch. It was then that I lost all faith in NASA and have never regained any respect for that group.
I hope all goes well, but I think this launch is reckless.

Just like the one trip with the teacher. ( all these symbols; don't have one for stupidity).

kenwoodallpromos
07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Why do they need 7 people?
How can 7 await a (Russian) rescue at the station?
Why the delays for clouds and rain? is this the best we can bulid?
Why do they not just launch fron Edwards, where there is ALWAYS good weather?
In 2010, where cvan I buy a used orbiter to make into a bungee jump amusement?