PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Saratoga Restaurant

ELA
07-03-2006, 09:10 PM
So, we are counting down.

What are some of your favorite Saratoga restaurants? In-town, nearby, etc.

Here's some of my go-to's --

Breakfast -- Peppers, Compton's, Beverly's, Country Corner Cafe, Denny's and Ravenous. I've been to the Horseshoe Inn for breakfast as well.

Lunch -- not really an official meal . . . we are at the track!!! LOL. I sometimes get a sandwhich at Peppers. There is a great Italian deli on the west side of town. I can't believe I am drawing a complete mental blank here. I see the sign right in front of me. I am sure many people here will know it -- great sandwiches. Ravenous is great for a pre-track brunch.

Dinner -- well, there's just so many. One of my favorite regular places is the Olde Bryan Inn. Sperry's, Wheatfields, Lanci's, Brindisi's are also regular spots for me. I very much like the Wine Bar -- it's the only spot in town where I can smoke a cigar (inside). Of course, I am leaving several out.

So -- what are your favorites?

Eric

ELA
07-03-2006, 09:58 PM
How could I forget, Winslow's -- for turkey of course.

Eric

ELA
07-04-2006, 08:10 PM
The name of the deli I was thinking about is Roma's. I don't remember what street it's on, but it's a few minutes outside the heart of Broadway (heading west). A great Italian deli.

Sergio's -- family style, a popular spot, popular bar, etc.

Wishing Well -- another Saratoga classic

And the newest place in town, might be the hottest spot in town -- Mare -- where the Luna Lounge was last summer. Very nice.

Eric

andicap
07-05-2006, 10:58 PM
There was some spot I ate at a while ago -- in the mid 90s where Charlie Mone took me. Not fancy but you could out outdoors on a terrace and they served meat and lots of it. A prime rib you could not possibly finish at very affordable prices.

All I recall is that it was white and it wasn't in the downtown area.

SARATOGA112
07-06-2006, 10:14 AM
Andicap , I think you are talking about Cliffs Restaurant. It is on the south
end of Saratoga Lake, the prime rib is huge and the prices are very
reasonable. Its roughly a 15 minute ride from the track. Nice place and
very nice people. You may have to wait 45 min. for a table but it will be
worth the wait.
WPW

andicap
07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Cliff's! That's it.
Thanks -- I vaguely recall driving down Nelson Avenue past the harness track on the way to the place. Or am I hallucinating again?

ELA
07-06-2006, 10:37 PM
I've heard of the place, but never been. Sounds great.

Eric

andicap
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Cliff's! That's it.
Thanks -- I vaguely recall driving down Nelson Avenue past the harness track on the way to the place. Or am I hallucinating again?

Never mind -- you mentioned down past Saratoga Lake --

richrosa
07-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Does anyone like One Caroline Street Jazz & Blues Bistro? Its family owned and run. They have some inventive dishes that change often. The place is casual and has a good crowd. Importantly they have a decent wine list, and a strong selection of good beers on tap.

Mike at A+
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Does anyone like One Caroline Street Jazz & Blues Bistro? Its family owned and run. They have some inventive dishes that change often. The place is casual and has a good crowd. Importantly they have a decent wine list, and a strong selection of good beers on tap.

Never ate there but they have some great entertainment. We did view the menu one night when we stopped in for drinks and to catch the show and it does look very interesting, or as the "foodies" say, "eclectic". Perhaps we will have dinner one night this year since the Brewpub is no longer open. And yes, their beer selection is excellent. Had some Blackened Voodoo last year. Damn - I'm ready to pack the car right now!

Mike at A+
07-07-2006, 10:48 PM
OK, my favorites:

Wheat Fields. We do it twice every year. Their Shrimp Scampi is the absolute best.

There's this Thai place in Glens Falls. Can't remember the name but it is awesome. They also serve sushi. Right across the street from the pool hall and down the street from Davidson's Brewpub (excellent microbrewed beer, good pub fare, nice wraps and burgers and live entertainment some nights).

Adirondack Brewpub in Lake George. Best burger and some fine microbrews.

George's Steakhouse in Lake George. Awesome steaks, prime ribs and last year I sprung for the stuffed lobster tail which was perfection.

Pizza, there's this little hole in the wall on one of the side streets in downtown Saratoga called Esperanto. Perfect crust, not greasy and lots of good cheese and sauce. They have a multi-cultural menu.

Can't beat Winslow's Thursday Turkey dinner with all the trimmings. No argument there.

A great sandwich place for something to take to the track is Kelly's Deli on route 9 between Glens Falls and Saratoga (closer to Saratoga).

Mangino's on Saratoga Lake and Masse's in Glens Falls are decent Italian places but not as good as Wheat Fields.

For Mexican, Leon's in Saratoga (owned by jockey Filiberto Leon) serves very fresh food from scratch. A little pricey for Mexican but worth the splurge after a winning day. Great Margaritas.

ELA
07-08-2006, 12:19 AM

Yes, I like it. Nice place, interesting menu. I've had a couple of interesting and very good shrimp dishes there.

Eric

ELA
07-08-2006, 12:22 AM
There is just something about the turkey at Winslow's!

Ditto on Leon's -- great food and drink, and of course, owned and operated by none other than Filliberto Leon.

Eric

andicap
07-09-2006, 07:27 PM
No one's mentined Lillian's. I've eaten there a lot and I don't think it's overrated -- I've never had a bad meal there.

about eight years ago my wife and I were eating there and a friend walked up and pointed out George Steinbrenner. The Boss happened to be leaving the same time as us and my wife and I followed him down the street where he was went into an ice cream parlor.
When he left we asked the waitress if Steinbrenner had left a tip -- she said he hadn't. Figures.

:D

ELA
07-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Yes, I like Lillian's as well. Very nice place. How about "Dine"? How about Tiznow? 43 Phila?

Eric

offtrack
07-13-2006, 12:11 PM
I've had very good meals at Pennells, just accross from the harness track.

Good crowd, terrace seating.

Mike at A+
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes, I like Lillian's as well. Very nice place.
Eric

Lillian's has the best Bloody Mary's. Never ate there though. We usually do Wheat Fields when on the strip.