PDA

View Full Version : MNR just flying along tonight..

sq764
07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
... ANOTHER f-ing delay before the 3rd race.

I have never ever in my life seen so many gate scratches.. It's mildly sickening.

lsbets
07-03-2006, 08:14 PM
No one outdoes Evangaline when it comes to gate scratches and delays.

bigmack
07-03-2006, 08:26 PM
No one outdoes Evangaline when it comes to gate scratches and delays.
yeah - what he said

michiken
07-03-2006, 08:35 PM
When you have one of the ONLY live t-bred schedules available on Monday and Tuesday featuring the bottom feeders of the claiming world, what else would you expect?

Patch em up, shoot em up and if their lame at the gate so you can't get a check...... scratch them.

Never the less, I still love MNR and give Mark and Nancy credit for at least having a simulcast show worth listening to.

Viv'e le cheap claimer.

bigmack
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Viv'e le cheap claimer.
Well that beats the hell out of Castro as JJ would have.

R5
What to think of this 4 as the early she exhibited in her Apr outings are of note. I've spent little time with this affair in the past - but it's an interesting story with each race. It's tough, but the struggle enhances.

bigmack
07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
R5
What to think of this 4 as the early she exhibited in her Apr outings are of note. I've spent little time with this affair in the past - but it's an interesting story with each race. It's tough, but the struggle enhances.
Well - that was pleasant

GlenninOhio
07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Before we go too far down the "cheap claimer" road, note that the 3rd race at Mnr tonight was a $75K stakes (the first of three $75K stakes on tonight's card).

The filly who was gate scratched was G3 placed at Churchill two races back and was trained by Helen Pitts. The winner was trained by Pletcher.

michiken
07-04-2006, 02:42 AM
Before we go too far down the "cheap claimer" road, note that the 3rd race at Mnr tonight was a $75K stakes (the first of three $75K stakes on tonight's card).

The filly who was gate scratched was G3 placed at Churchill two races back and was trained by Helen Pitts. The winner was trained by Pletcher.

The stakes series is unusual for Mnr. I had not taken a look at the conditions. Was it Virginia Derby Day?

In general though, Mountaineer is a dumping ground for shippers looking to grab a quick check when they have not performed well elsewhere.

I remember one time where a 'super horse shipper' with superior figures was entered in a race it had no real reason to be in.

I looked at my buddy who Sat next to me at the track and stated, "this lame horse is not right". The 2-5 horse stopped in mid stretch and was vanned off. I cashed a nice per/tri for my observations.

If it wasn't WVD day, then take note to monitor how many shipper's usually with large figs don't do so well on the undercard.

Blame it on the egg shaped track ? LOL

shanta
07-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Win prices on last night's card

yup why the heck would anyone want to play here.
Rich

Milleruszk
07-04-2006, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=michiken]When you have one of the ONLY live t-bred schedules available on Monday and Tuesday featuring the bottom feeders of the claiming world, what else would you expect?

Never the less, I still love MNR and give Mark and Nancy credit for at least having a simulcast show worth listening to.

I agree that Mark and Nancy probably have the best simulcast racing show on the internet. I don't know how else you can access this show. Is it on local cable? Anyway, Nancy and Mark are usually very insightful and do point out a lot of behind the scenes stuff for people who are not familiar with the behind the scenes goings on at Mountaineer. I believe that Nancy is or was a trainer at one time? I do not know what Mark's background is. Can anyone fill me in?
Watching them is like being at the track with a couple of pals.

Thanks.

Tom

rrpic6
07-04-2006, 01:35 PM
Tom:

Nancy McMichael has been a trainer at Mountaineer for many years, maybe 20. Mark had held quite a few odd jobs at the track for a long time also. They certainly have improved since the inception of their simulcast show. They are the original duo. It was difficult at times to watch them at first, as neither had a background in tv/radio/video. They both know just about all there is to know about the backside at the Mountain, and that's really important.

JustRalph
07-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Win prices on last night's card

yup why the heck would anyone want to play here.
Rich

I happen to know a MNR trainer. Some of those prices look nice.........but they are such because two guys on the backside and the trainer are the only ones who know how big the horse is going to run. Not to mention the people that the trainer owes money to. He laughs when people mention playing MNR. He calls it the best place in the world to get a workout under race conditions.

shanta
07-04-2006, 03:52 PM
I happen to know a MNR trainer. Some of those prices look nice.........but they are such because two guys on the backside and the trainer are the only ones who know how big the horse is going to run. Not to mention the people that the trainer owes money to. He laughs when people mention playing MNR. He calls it the best place in the world to get a workout under race conditions.

JR,
Anyone actually believing this should certainly not be wagering there.
Rich

Milleruszk
07-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info rrpic6. Mcmichael and Patterson do provide a valuable glimpse into what goes on in the backstretch. They do not just pick favorites all night. I feel I have learned alot about Mountaineer by listening to them.

Tom

bigmack
07-04-2006, 06:27 PM
Milleruszk - Who's the hoss in the avatar?

Milleruszk
07-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Milleruszk - Who's the hoss in the avatar?

Funnycide.

bigmack
07-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Nice. Great story, he was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJYIuWONag&search=funnycide

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Not to bust your balls too much today BM, but seriously....we go from talking about Mountaineer to talking about Funny Cide? I know some would agree the two might go together very well, but really now.....off topic again....

bigmack
07-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Not to bust your balls too much today BM, but seriously....we go from talking about Mountaineer to talking about Funny Cide? I know some would agree the two might go together very well, but really now.....off topic again....
Ya know you are bustin my balls - I asked him who the avatar was and a slight tangent took place.
As Chick Hearn would say No harm No foul No blood No ambulance.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Ya know you are bustin my balls - I asked him who the avatar was and a slight tangent took place.
As Chick Hearn would say No harm No foul No blood No ambulance.

Actually, I came very close to posting a note recommending that a private message would have been a better venue for your avatar question, but I stopped short because I didn't want you to feel I was picking on you....but I guess we're past that point already....

JustRalph
07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
JR,
Anyone actually believing this should certainly not be wagering there.
Rich

Shanta, if you knew the guy I am talking about, you would understand. The place is rife with trainer manipulation........and he sometimes tells me about it before it happens....... But I don't play them because I don't trust the bastard. Not too long ago he lets me in on a horse in a maiden race. The Morning line was 12-1 but he tells me it is a lock. "the trainer is going to let him run tonight" he did win. But they must have told the whole damn world. He paid 8bucks and change. I stay away for those reasons.

PaceAdvantage
07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Hmmmm.....8 bucks and change ain't too shabby for a horse the whole world knows about....M/L makers often times have no clue....

mountainman
08-11-2006, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=michiken]When you have one of the ONLY live t-bred schedules available on Monday and Tuesday featuring the bottom feeders of the claiming world, what else would you expect?

I agree that Mark and Nancy probably have the best simulcast racing show on the internet. I don't know how else you can access this show. Is it on local cable? Anyway, Nancy and Mark are usually very insightful and do point out a lot of behind the scenes stuff for people who are not familiar with the behind the scenes goings on at Mountaineer. I believe that Nancy is or was a trainer at one time? I do not know what Mark's background is. Can anyone fill me in?
Watching them is like being at the track with a couple of pals.

Thanks.

Tom
Thanks for the props. And, more importantly, thanks for watching. In belated response to your inquiry, I'm a 49 yr old (don't look a DAY over 48) native Pennsylvanian, but have resided in WV most of my life. I work mornings as Mountaineer's asst. racing secretary, but was a handicapper and player long before becoming a racing official some 15 yrs ago. I'm an Aries who loves long bubble baths (with action figures from Revenge Of The Sith), candlit dinners (rigatoni or pizza),lone speed, slow jogs, fast women ,and, of course, playing second fiddle to tall cool blondes (who kick HARD in stilletto heels when intentionally irked).

PaceAdvantage
08-11-2006, 04:00 PM
The guy's got a killer sense of humor as well....hey mountainman, I too enjoy the show you two put on when the sun goes down in Chester...

rrpic6
08-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Mark:

Nice job on WV Derby Day. Seems like Chris Lincoln really enjoys his yearly trips to the Mountain. Did you guys keep Dave Johnson in the Piano Bar too long? Geez...he had a lousy day at the mike. I admire your patience with the endless pre-race delays that are becoming normal there. It must be hard to keep your toungue sometimes...as far as making snide remarks on obviously "excited" ( I did not say juiced) horses. Your comments on the stats of some trainers do let us read between the lines.
Ron R.
PS. Nancy is tall enough without stilettos. 6'1" with them?

Milleruszk
08-11-2006, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=Milleruszk]
Thanks for the props. And, more importantly, thanks for watching. In belated response to your inquiry, I'm a 49 yr old (don't look a DAY over 48) native Pennsylvanian, but have resided in WV most of my life. I work mornings as Mountaineer's asst. racing secretary, but was a handicapper and player long before becoming a racing official some 15 yrs ago. I'm an Aries who loves long bubble baths (with action figures from Revenge Of The Sith), candlit dinners (rigatoni or pizza),lone speed, slow jogs, fast women ,and, of course, playing second fiddle to tall cool blondes (who kick HARD in stilletto heels when intentionally irked).

Mark,

Well that explains it all and than some. Now I just have to get the image of you taking a bubble bath out of my mind. :eek:

Seriously, I think that you and Nancy do a terrific job in explaining the nuances of the various race conditions run at the Mountain. You enable a new player at Mountaineer to become "seasoned" player after a few sessions with you guys. And I originally thought that the conditions for all $5K claiming races were the same!

Hosshead
08-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I agree, Mark & Nancy have one of the few shows I don't have to hit the mute button.
Mark is especially good at knowing the strength (class) of a horses' last race, and the other horses in that last race.
Sometimes a horses' last race contained several dropping in class, thus the race was stronger than looks on paper, but Mark will remember.

Com'on, how tall is Nancy, really ?

Zaf
08-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I really enjoy the Mark & Nancy show & like wagering there also.

Z

bigmack
08-12-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm an Aries who loves long bubble baths (with action figures from Revenge Of The Sith), candlit dinners (rigatoni or pizza),lone speed, slow jogs, fast women ,and, of course, playing second fiddle to tall cool blondes (who kick HARD in stilletto heels when intentionally irked).
I trust your wit is beyond most in the community of Chester but there's a pile of us in far and distant places
that get a hoot outta your show.

Come back soon and post more - intentionally irking a tall blonde in stilletos is one of my pastimes.