PDA

View Full Version : Curious, who`s making money and what type of handicapping method?

prunes
08-26-2002, 01:43 PM
I`m new to this post and was wondering ,how many of you can honestly say you a winner. If you are by what type of handicapping method do you use,sheet s,players,bris,thorograph,jock/trainer,or good old fasion handicapping,etc.

Rick
08-26-2002, 02:03 PM
prunes,

I'm getting 30% winners and 24% profit (excluding one 81.80 winner which I feel is atypical) on about 4 plays per day per track (I play two tracks). That's using BRIS data available in Ultimate Past Performances only. Obviously, I don't want to detail exactly what I'm doing, but I think it's important to point out that it's possible to win without spending huge amounts of money on software or downloads.

prunes
08-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi Rick, thanks for replying. I don`t find many whith a higher percentage than that I dont keep tracked of how much I invest . I do know I`m ahead this year by quite a bit because I hit the derby, preekness and other large bets, but I`m sure itll ave 25to30%. I use thorograph and self made numbers,when that don`t work I dig deep and get luckywhich is what we allreally need Thanks....prunes

Rick
08-26-2002, 02:41 PM
The best way to improve your handicapping that I've found is to eliminate your "false favorites". We all know how to do this with crowd favorites but it also applies to your own selections. So, handicap the handicapping, so to speak, and you'll be pleased with the results.

I had War Emblem in the KD too but didn't include that in my results.

ranchwest
08-26-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Rick
The best way to improve your handicapping that I've found is to eliminate your "false favorites". We all know how to do this with crowd favorites but it also applies to your own selections. So, handicap the handicapping, so to speak, and you'll be pleased with the results.

I basically agree with you.

There are patterns of horses that will almost aways be the favorite and will win far too seldom to return anywhere near a profit. You really seldom need the board, there's a lot of horses in this category who are virtually automatic.

Rick
08-26-2002, 03:03 PM
ranchwest,

Horses that are ranked best in many different handicapping factors seem to be the biggest money burners around.

My next project will involve using a completely different method of handicapping on the races that I've eliminated my first choice on. I think you can play virtually every race if you use that approach.

ranchwest
08-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Rick
ranchwest,

Horses that are ranked best in many different handicapping factors seem to be the biggest money burners around.

My next project will involve using a completely different method of handicapping on the races that I've eliminated my first choice on. I think you can play virtually every race if you use that approach.

Yes, the more "perfect" the horse, the more likely it is to fit in a money burner category.