PDA

View Full Version : So I'm going to Ithaca...

Bubbles
06-30-2006, 09:32 AM
In two months, I'll be headed to Ithaca College. Majoring in TV/Radio, minoring in Sport Media. If anyone's ever been out there for a period of time and has words of wisdom on anything Ithaca, I'm all-ears and would really appreciate the advice. Thanks a lot!

Bub's

Tom
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Great town - party-party-party! :jump:

Check out the gorge - it is awsome! (Don't fall in!)
You are definately close enough to drive up to Finger Lakes.

Suff
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
In two months, I'll be headed to Ithaca College. Majoring in TV/Radio, minoring in Sport Media. If anyone's ever been out there for a period of time and has words of wisdom on anything Ithaca, I'm all-ears and would really appreciate the advice. Thanks a lot!

Bub's

Bring your snow shovel....

JustRalph
06-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Bring your snow shovel....

and one hell of a heavy coat.................

GameTheory
06-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm an alumn. I was a film/photo student there for 4 years -- 88-92. (Shared the same communications building you'll be in, but different dept. The building opened when I was a soph.)

What you really need more than a snow shovel is a good umbrella. I'm serious -- don't get some crappy umbrella, get the toughest thing you can find or it will be destroyed in the first storm you get caught in, and you'll be caught in them often walking around campus. It rains EVERY day there (sometimes with high winds), so carry that umbrella in your bag even if the weather looks good. It will find a way to rain anyway. (In the summer it is gorgeous, but you probably won't be there then). Be grateful for every ray of sun you see.

Places to eat:

Delivery: pizza, wings, subs -- Rogan's. (Restaurant / gas station/ laundermat half-way up the hill.) I am still looking for a place that makes wings as good as this cheap restaurant that caters almost exclusively to IC students. Yummy. (If you're low on cash and you have a car, go get a delivery job at Rogan's and work a couple of nights a week -- you'll make $150 a night in cash easy.)

Late-night diners: State Diner (students and local wackos) or Mano's (students and truck drivers).

Much of the "cool" stuff in town is in the "collegetown" area of town -- much more Cornell students over there than IC, but good restaurants, music stores, etc. Pay attention to what's happening over at Cornell -- they often have interesting events, films showing, etc open to anyone, plus the Cornell campus is beautiful. (IC is not, really.) Downtown you've got "the commons" -- lots of shops and restaurants. But as a freshman, you'll probably find you don't leave campus all that much.

And if you've been wondering if colleges are really the liberal stronghold people complain about so much around here, you're about to find out. IC is liberal central, especially in your dept. It maybe slightly less so than in the film dept, because the TVR people tend to be less artsy than the film/photo people. (We film students had quite a superior complex regarding you lowly TVR majors.) Let us know if your professors rant about Fox News or not.

And remember, you'll be in driving distance of Tom, so you got that going for you...

Suff
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM

:ThmbUp: . Good seeing you.