PDA

View Full Version : Wanna Sell Me RPM Books?

Molock
08-26-2002, 12:55 AM
Okay, I know you guys will probably roll your eyes at this, but I was wondering if anyone had any of the infamous Dave Powers books that they'd like to unload, particularly Angle Emporium and System 17? What can I say, I have a weakness for reading about angles.

Thanks!

dav4463
08-26-2002, 11:31 PM
I have System 17 and Hammering the Chalk. I'd be glad to send both of them to you for free. I too enjoy reading all the systems and I actually may find something that improves my own handicapping. Send an e-mail with your mailing address and I will get it to you.

sligg
08-27-2002, 01:42 AM
Dave 4463

What did you think of Hammering The Chalk? My opinion was that it was the usual junk that RPM publishes-all hype and no substance.

dav4463
08-27-2002, 03:56 AM
I bought Hammering the Chalk mainly to compare it with my own show method to see if I could improve my method. Needless to say, mine was a lot better. It certainly did not deserve a full page ad in RPM's catalog. One loser, and it takes 17 winners to get your money back using the system! I made my own JT23 system for show betting that showed an incredible profit on paper for about 3 weeks, then I hit 4 losers in a row and 6 of 8 losers and realized with this type of show betting, it would take forever to get back the money lost. I am now back to my normal win bets, with an occasional place bet, and trifectas and making more money and having more fun! System 17 on the other hand is very similar to my own method although not as in depth, System 17 has potential though.....

Dick Schmidt
08-27-2002, 04:43 AM
Dave4463,

Man, I didn't know we had that many Daves on this board.

Anyway, I think you're wrong about Hammering Chalk. If you use the betting plan described by the author, a loss isn't that big a disaster. It stings, but not that bad. A friend of mine gave me the method because I was wild to see how a 96 race parlay worked. I tried it for a few days on paper and it did work if you followed the guidelines and avoided the high priced horses, like the ones over even money!. I don't play it, as I have trouble keeping up with win bets, but it is a way to play with absolutely no handicapping and lots of action. The author sent my friend a copy of a spreadsheet that does all the math for you, otherwise it is a bitch to play. I would think he would send anyone else a copy who asked.

If nothing else, those huge parlays are fun to talk about. Drop this line into conversation at the track or racebook: "I'm in the middle of a 48 race parlay." Trust me, that will raise some eyebrows.

Dick

dav4463
08-27-2002, 11:29 AM
I guess I will give Hammering the Chalk another look. I'll set aside a separate bankroll and try one of those big parlays! I guess I got discouraged when the 6 of 8 losing streak happened.