PDA

View Full Version : Wireless laptop

Tom
06-29-2006, 10:11 PM
I am getting a card for my aptop so can use the hotel wireless option when I'm in Vaga. Is there anything else I need to do to set up it up, does it "find" the signal on its own?

JustRalph
06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
I am getting a card for my aptop so can use the hotel wireless option when I'm in Vaga. Is there anything else I need to do to set up it up, does it "find" the signal on its own?

just ask for the configuration data when you check in. The laptop should be able to find all available networks. You will have to configure the network based on the info they give you. You usually don't have to do much though. Just put in a password etc. Sometimes an encryption key......but most don't even do that now.

bigmack
06-30-2006, 05:10 PM
http://www.jiwire.com/

Hang out in the Bellagio - It's a good place to be.

Tom
06-30-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm at the Gold Coast - HTR seminar.
BillW - didn't we go to the Bilag last year?
I definately want to hit the Gamblers Book Shop again.

BillW
06-30-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm at the Gold Coast - HTR seminar.
BillW - didn't we go to the Bilag last year?

I don't remember, might have looking for water :D . The GBC is a definite this year! :ThmbUp:

bigmack
06-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Tom -

The locals and those in the know:Palace Station Oyster Bar

There's not all that many oysters being throw about but...Order what most of the others order

The guarantee is that - your socks will roll up and down.

bigmack
07-01-2006, 02:52 AM
An institution as you're probably aware.
Don't forget to go in the back where the out of print titles are as there are some great reads to be found.

Doc
07-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Word of caution: I recently spent a few nights in a Wingate Hotel near Garden City, N. Y. It advertised a "free wireless connection," but really it was an ethernet Internet connection in which you plugged a telephone-type wire into the back of your laptop. It worked great, the Internet speed was very fast, but you couldn't move the laptop because the wire was short. Plus, when I got home, I tried to connect my laptop back to my wireless router, and it told me it was receiving the signal, but I couldn't connect. Turns out a friend of mine who installed the wireless system in my house found that the "free wireless connection" had installed, unbeknownst to me, a renegade program called Odyssey which prevented me from connecting. After much searching and head-scratching, he had to reinstall the driver for my wireless PCA card and then delete Odyssey. It was a real mess - so be careful when you connect in your hotel room. Also make sure your virus protection program is up to date.

Doc