PDA

View Full Version : Katrina Looters get hammered

JustRalph
06-29-2006, 03:03 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/29/looters.sentenced.ap/index.html

15 years.............whew! Doggies!

KENNER, Louisiana (AP) -- Three people convicted of hauling away liquor, wine and beer from a grocery store after Hurricane Katrina were sentenced Wednesday to 15 years in prison.

The judge said he wanted to send a message that looting would not be tolerated when he gave the maximum sentence to Coralnelle Little, 36, Rhonda McGowen, 42, and Paul C. Pearson, 36, all of Kenner.

more at the link

Tom
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
If they lived in NO, wouldn't this be a reward - 15 years of a clean room, three hots a day, and cable TV? :confused::rolleyes:

byw.....Bush has lived up to his promises - he has delivered the money for Ray Nagin's rebuiling plan. Problem is, Ray doesn't HAVE on yet.
What ever will we do about this "quaigmire" in NO? Ray took money without a plan! I say, we need a definate date to bring our tax dollars back home. Right now, every dollar there shold be re-deployed!
Ray lied, he never had a plan - our money went there under false pretenses.

bigmack
06-29-2006, 05:31 PM
He must have meant the expensive "Godiva" type.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVqK0_TnsZA&search=Ray%20Nagin

Wiley
06-29-2006, 05:59 PM
byw.....Bush has lived up to his promises - he has delivered the money for Ray Nagin's rebuiling plan. Problem is, Ray doesn't HAVE on yet.
What ever will we do about this "quaigmire" in NO? Ray took money without a plan!
It's my understanding the federal money does not go directly to NO and Nagin, there are layers involved through the state and FEMA. Proposals need to be made to where the money will go and what it will be used for.

I was in NO and did volunteer work for a week a couple of months ago and I do know that Nagin has been crying that he did not have easy access to this funding and was trying to get it changed so maybe the policy has changed but I hope not. Agree there definitely needs to be some oversight of this money other than at the city level. Rebuilding to this level is too big a job for any city government especially one as notoriously inefficiently run as NO.

From my experience I doubt the jails down there, Kenner is a suburb of NO and has problems as well, are in much better shape than a lot of the residences so jail time won't be any picnic either.

CryingForTheHorses
06-30-2006, 01:10 PM
15 years!!..I think this judge had a pump!!...Its not like they took the necessities of life..They stole booze..They didnt hurt anyone. Here in South Florida lots of thugs killing people and getting 5 years.I think its a little harsh BUT I do think they need to be taught a lesson.Sad for people to have to loot after a hurricane.I would think doing community work to help fix NO would have been a better sentence.Fifteen years of feeding these guys with taxpayers money is a big waste.The judge may be trying to send a message but at the same time he is adding to the deficit of the nation.

JustRalph
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Funny thing......... there has been flooding all over PA and NY this week. I haven't heard of one case of Looting? Not one case of someone stealing "the necessities" not one case of anyone being assaulted? Amazing.........? huh?

kenwoodallpromos
06-30-2006, 05:23 PM
What is the penalty in Canada for robbing a Packeage Store and stealing booze?
____----
These people wer stealing from either the dead or from people who had to leace everything and flee for their lives- have to know that thier stuff is safe, even if it was only a store. Otherwise, evrybody refuses to evacuate, arms themselves, and its vigilante justice. Take your pick.

Tom
06-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Funny thing......... there has been flooding all over PA and NY this week. I haven't heard of one case of Looting? Not one case of someone stealing "the necessities" not one case of anyone being assaulted? Amazing.........? huh?

And they were not crying and whinnig about where is Bush and FEMA to bail out our sorry areses.
BTW...Naygin still has no plan. Last year, he had a plan he ignored, this he is LESS prepared than that. Chocolate Town is on its own - I say, take back the money.

Ron
07-03-2006, 11:59 PM

There's been plenty of reports of price gauging. The recent floods in PA and NY were predomiently in more rural areas then New Orleans.

And shame on you for comparing these floods to the Hurricane Katrina tragedy.

Dave
07-04-2006, 12:39 AM
The judge may be trying to send a message but at the same time he is adding to the deficit of the nation.

?

are those prisoners being fed w/federal money?
also, what prior convictions did these people have?

although, it's still money better spent then all the rest of the money that's been flushed down that toilet.

JustRalph
07-04-2006, 03:35 PM
There's been plenty of reports of price gauging. The recent floods in PA and NY were predomiently in more rural areas then New Orleans.

And shame on you for comparing these floods to the Hurricane Katrina tragedy.

you are kidding right? the people are in the exact same conditions and they chose not to attack each other, steal from each other etc. Many apparently took appropriate precautions and worked together to "do the right thing" in complete contrast to the character of those in N.O. I see a big difference, even if the scale was smaller.

Tom
07-04-2006, 03:55 PM
The trajedy was not Katrina, it was the peolpe and the local governments.
The real trajedy is we are thorwin good tax dollars to rebuild that ship hole of a city. Let it rot. It is a worthless toilet bowl.
How many times does it take for the ocean to pour over you to make you realize, "Hey! I live in a hole in the sea! What a dipstick!"
Water seeks low levels. So, apparently, do New Orleaners.