PDA

View Full Version : Taliban: resurgence? Yeah right.....

JustRalph
06-26-2006, 08:18 AM
for those of you that were cheering the Taliban re-asserting themselves in Afghanistan..............try this ..........article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-briefs26.4jun26,1,3214943.story?coll=la-headlines-world

Snag
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
"Pro-Taliban militants announced a monthlong cease-fire..."

Who did they announce this to? If the reporter was there and we now know where they are, let's take them out. These kind of reports sound really fishy to me.

bigmack
06-26-2006, 04:49 PM
I think it's opium harvesting season ala 'time to make the donuts'

Secretariat
06-26-2006, 11:51 PM
for those of you that were cheering the Taliban re-asserting themselves in Afghanistan..............try this ..........article.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-briefs26.4jun26,1,3214943.story?coll=la-headlines-world

Interesting. Washington Post sees it this way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/25/AR2006062500866.html

Afghan Leader Losing Support
Foreign, Local Allies Cite Weak Karzai Leadership
By Pamela ConstableWashington Post Foreign Service

Monday, June 26, 2006; Page A01
KABUL, Afghanistan, June 25 -- Many Afghans and some foreign supporters say they are losing faith in President Hamid Karzai's government, which is besieged by an escalating insurgency and endemic corruption and is unable to protect or administer large areas of the country.

As a sense of insecurity spreads, a rift is growing between the president and some of the foreign civilian and military establishments whose money and firepower have helped rebuild and defend the country for nearly five years. While the U.S. commitment to Karzai appears solid, several European governments are expressing serious concerns about his leadership.

"The president had a window of opportunity to lead and make difficult decisions, but that window is closing fast," said one foreign military official in Kabul who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject.

"This is a crucial time, and there is frustration and finger-pointing on all sides," the official said. "President Karzai is the only alternative for this country, but if he attacks us, we can't help him project his vision. And if he goes down, we all go down with him."

In markets and mosques across the country, Afghans are focusing discontent on Karzai, 48, the amiable, Western-backed leader whose landslide election in October 2004 appeared to anchor a process of political reconstruction and stability that began with the U.S.-led overthrow of the Taliban in late 2001.
Since then, public confidence in his leadership has soured with reports of highway police robbing travelers, government jobs sold to the highest bidder, drug traffic booming and aid money vanishing. There are no public opinion polls here, but several dozen Afghan and foreign observers expressed similar views.

Since April, an aggressive Taliban offensive across the south has resulted in the deaths of 600 people. In the past four days, more than 150 insurgents have been reported killed in battles with Afghan and foreign troops in the southern provinces of Uruzgan and Kandahar.

Late last month, a riot in Kabul, in which protesters attacked foreign facilities for hours as police vanished from the streets, raised concerns among many people here that the government is too weak to protect even the capital.
"In the past year, security has gotten worse and worse," said Sayed Tamin, 42, a tailor in a working-class Kabul district who was hemming a pair of pants. "The Taliban have been able to come back because the government is weak. There is corruption in high places and nothing for the poor. People are very, very disappointed."

boxcar
06-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Interesting. Washington Post sees it this way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/25/AR2006062500866.html

Afghan Leader Losing Support
Foreign, Local Allies Cite Weak Karzai Leadership
By Pamela ConstableWashington Post Foreign Service

I guess how you see things is all in who you're rootin' fer. Maybe Karzai is losing some support -- at the same time the Taliban are losing many fighters. Who's winnin' this battle? Well, it wasn't Karzai or the U.S. looking for the ceasefire, was it?

Boxcar

JustRalph
06-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Yep, and we all know who Sec is rooting for.............

Tom
06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
"While the U.S. commitment to Karzai appears solid, several European governments are expressing serious concerns about his leadership."

Says it all. Cut and run libs.....dems and euros have one thing in common - no backbones, no committment, no balls. Kerry should run for president of Europe - he is tailor made for those losers. And big head Ted would make a nice French senator, wouldn't he? All that cheese.......and his whine. :lol:

bigmack
06-27-2006, 12:12 PM
And big head Ted would make a nice French senator, wouldn't he? All that cheese.......and his whine.
Big head? - what big head
Ted Kennedy called for Rumsfeld's resignation. This is interesting. This marks the first time Kennedy has ever come out against anything with rum in it.

Tom
06-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Big head? - what big head
Ted Kennedy called for Rumsfeld's resignation. This is interesting. This marks the first time Kennedy has ever come out against anything with rum in it.

:lol:

Suff
06-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Where is the moderator!? I want this thread closed! It's about a Taliban resurgence....not Ted Kennedy!

But alas, he won't close this thread like he did the North Korea thread....because in that thread I had the Repugs wobbling, and it was TKO TIME!!. So he deemed the off topic thread,--off topic? and fixed the fight.

But since he hates Ted Kennedy so... He'll let this bashfest roll on.

GaryG
06-27-2006, 12:37 PM
It is just incredible to see several here that are openly rooting for the Taliban and other camel jockey terrorists. Is this just to discredit the administration? I think not. Meanwhile our soldiers are being tried for murder and forced to undergo sensitivity training! :eek:

Suff
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
It is just incredible to see several here that are openly rooting for the Taliban and other camel jockey terrorists.
What's incredible is you typing that sentence.

Back it up.

Seriously...

GaryG
06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
What's incredible is you typing that sentence.

Back it up.

Seriously...This board is full of such posts...Light, Sec, hcap, lbj. You are just pissed about attacks on your local hero....I am passing on commenting on that one though.

lsbets
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Gary, welcome back. Where ya been?

bigmack
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
But since he hates Ted Kennedy so... He'll let this bashfest roll on.
Come on Suff just a bit o fun with Theo.

And ya have to admit that if anyone could take a bashfest it's a head like that.

Tom
06-27-2006, 03:13 PM
....I had the Repugs wobbling, and it was TKO TIME!!.

:lol::lol::lol:

Secretariat
06-27-2006, 03:17 PM
Yep, and we all know who Sec is rooting for.............

rooting for? Grow up, it's not a football game. Ask Pat Tillman's parents.

JustRalph
06-27-2006, 03:27 PM
rooting for? Grow up, it's not a football game. Ask Pat Tillman's parents.

Grow up my ass. You know that you post every day trying to discredit the country in every way fashionable. What is bad for America is good for you. You stand around waiting with baited mouse for bad news. Despicable. If Pat Tillman could read some of what you have posted, he would probably punch you in the mouth.

GaryG
06-27-2006, 05:07 PM
Gary, welcome back. Where ya been?In Nevada on some family related business, I'll tell you some time.
GG

PaceAdvantage
06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Where is the moderator!? I want this thread closed! It's about a Taliban resurgence....not Ted Kennedy!

But alas, he won't close this thread like he did the North Korea thread....because in that thread I had the Repugs wobbling, and it was TKO TIME!!. So he deemed the off topic thread,--off topic? and fixed the fight.

You're dreaming. At least this thread is flowing....your list of combat veterans running as Democrats had nothing to do with any post before it.....

Believe me, closing that N. Korea thread had nothing to do with you personally, and nothing to do with any real or perceived "Repugs wobbling." I was tired of seeing threads go off topic, even in off-topic, so I made a statement. Doesn't mean I am going to close every thread that goes off topic. If I did, sadly, ANY type of discourse on here would soon end.

Exacly how many threads are closed in off-topic, anyway? Hardly any....and you know it....whether they bash dems or repubs, hardly any get closed.

But, if it makes you feel better to act like a martyr, by all means....

Secretariat
06-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Grow up my ass. You know that you post every day trying to discredit the country in every way fashionable. What is bad for America is good for you. You stand around waiting with baited mouse for bad news. Despicable. If Pat Tillman could read some of what you have posted, he would probably punch you in the mouth.

I have never made a post discrediting the country. Quite the contrary. I love this country, but don't beleive putting my head in the sand, or putting tape over my mouth while it is being endangered by a reckless administration. GW is not the country.

As to Pat Tillman, you need to read what his parents have said.

You blindly support anything GW says. That isn't being American, that's just being blind, deaf and dumb.

Suff
06-27-2006, 07:06 PM
But, if it makes you feel better to act like a martyr, by all means....

27 virgins? :jump:

I'd settle for a slightly used blow up doll?

How about 1500 Vbucks?...:D

GaryG
06-27-2006, 07:22 PM
27 virgins? :jump:

I'd settle for a slightly used blow up doll?

How about 1500 Vbucks?...:DHow about a date with Cindy Sheehan?

JustRalph
06-27-2006, 07:47 PM
You blindly support anything GW says. That isn't being American, that's just being blind, deaf and dumb.

you obviously don't read my posts. I don't blind support the Prez. I have more than once commented on him needing his ass kicked. Get with it.......

Suff
06-27-2006, 07:56 PM
How about a date with Cindy Sheehan?

yea know.. right about now....that aint sounding to bad.

I'm in a rut, I could'nt get a date in a women's prison, holding a fistful of pardons.

:faint: :eek:

lsbets
06-27-2006, 08:22 PM
yea know.. right about now....that aint sounding to bad.

I'm in a rut, I could'nt get a date in a women's prison, holding a fistful of pardons.

:faint: :eek:

That's one hell of a rut .......... another reason I won't get divorced. At least I know at some point in the future she'll want another kid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dccprez
06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
you obviously don't read my posts. I don't blind support the Prez. I have more than once commented on him needing his ass kicked. Get with it.......

Hey....wait...

I'M the Prez!

Please don't kick me ass JR! It's really not my fault that the Taliban Resurged-ed...

JustRalph
06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Hey....wait...

I'M the Prez!

Please don't kick me ass JR! It's really not my fault that the Taliban Resurged-ed...

You don't ask for a cease fire when you are re-surging........... they have lost their asses in the last few weeks and now they are turning and running. Begging for a let up by our forces...........

dccprez
06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Er....

Wuz' just tryin' to make a little humor - you know, try to lighten things up a little...

As it is I totally agree with you JR.

JustRalph
06-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Er....

Wuz' just tryin' to make a little humor - you know, try to lighten things up a little...

As it is I totally agree with you JR.

I know, no big deal. I was winging thru the thread while at work. I actually meant to post that info a day or so back.......but got sidetracked at work.