PDA

View Full Version : Deep Impact Videos

RobinFromIreland
06-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Japanese Superstar - could win Arc. Created this over the weekend, especially check out the move he made in video 5/6 ... Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B8852B4AFA342E5E

Dave
06-25-2006, 10:15 AM
sweet!

thx for the vids -- I used to be a euroracing freak a few years back.
I even got to bet when arlington had their breakfast at ascot, or whatever it was.

Tom
06-25-2006, 11:56 AM
I stayed up to wathc last night on TVG/Fox.
The finish was awesome! I gave DI no chance at all 3/4 of the way thorugh - not even to hit the board! WOW! GLad I stayed up.
BTW< the coverage waas top nothc - TVGhas the very best team on in the middle of the night. Stevens actually was very good with those two other guys - no idea who they were, but it was like he was working with pros instead the the usual TVG nuts and rose to the level of competence.

Great commentary. ( or was it 3am and too many beers? :confused: )

DrugSalvastore
06-26-2006, 04:20 AM
It's hard to say what exactly he is beating---but, after watching so many of his races.....I really am left with the impression that he is the best race horse in the world.

He did suffer that one circumstantial loss to the older Heart's Cry late last year.

One race before his upset, Heart's Cry was clearly best, in my opinion, while just barely missing in the Japan Cup with an absolutely cyclonic finish. And the start after his upset of Deep Impact...Heart's Cry shipped to Dubai and was a very stylish and alarmingly easy winner of a $5 million turf stake. Heart's Cry easily defeated Ouija Board in both starts---who recently won a very important Group 1 in Europe.

This really is a great time for horse racing in Japan. You think back to 1998 as the glory year of racing in Japan. They had four sensational race horses running there that year. I'm talking about El Condor Pasa, Special Week, Grass Wonder (Wonder Again's older full sibling), and of course the mighty speedball Silence Suzuka.

They also had the filly Seeking The Pearl win a French Group 1 in '98...and it was the 2yo season of T. M Opera O. ---who would eventually break Cigar's earnings record.

They may not have as many spectacular horses in Japan as they did in '98, but, I think a fairly sound case could be made that they have the two best turf horses in the entire world.

bigmack
06-26-2006, 04:26 AM
I think a fairly sound case could be made that they have the two best turf horses in the entire world.
A sound case indeed. Man, those equines are monsters.

The racing in Japan is getting interesting.

Tom
06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
They had 80,000 in the stands for that rae!
80,000!

When was the last time a US track had 80,000 people?
1973-78?:D

cj
06-26-2006, 10:08 AM
They had 80,000 in the stands for that rae!
80,000!

When was the last time a US track had 80,000 people?
1973-78?:D

My guess would be the first and third Saturday of May, 2006. ;)

OTM Al
06-26-2006, 12:07 PM
He did look really good, but he will not get away with lagging that far behind against the best in the world if he goes for the Arc. His one loss was due to running against a top end horse, Heart's Cry, and spotting him too much ground. He could get away with it Sunday as his competiton wasn't the best, at least according to the TVG commentators, who felt there was really only one other horse of quality in the mix, but try that against the likes of Hurricane Run, Ouija Board, Shirraco, and the other top Euros and he won't catch them regardless of if he's the best or not

DrugSalvastore
06-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Well, with Deep Impact, you are talking about a horse who ran the last three furlongs of a two mile race in a supersonic 33 2/5th seconds after making a sustained 5 wide move off the far turn two starts back.

When Heart's Cry got the lengthy jump on him---you have to remember that he was a 3yo narrowly losing to a top older horse---and that his jockey looked to ride an overly confident race....badly underestimating Heart's Cry's own amazing late kick.

Remember, the start before that race, Heart's Cry closed from WAY WAY back and was finishing like a rocket when he missed by a nose in the Japan Cup.

I remember watching films of Dancing Brave come from out of nowhere to win the Arc---I think Deep Impact is capable of putting up that same type of dazzling late run to victory in the Arc. I really like this Deep Impact.