PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Problem

IRISHLADSTABLE
06-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Internet Explorer had encountered a problem with an add on and needs to close. The following add on was running when this problem occured.
File aoltb.dll Company Name (not verified) AOL LLC
Description AOL IE Toolbar Dynamic Link Library.

This error message appeared when I went to use my laptop this morning
My desk top is OK

Any Help would be appreciated

Thank's

Jimmy

standaman
06-23-2006, 09:36 AM
File aoltb.dll is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 512000 bytes (50% of all occurrence), 524288 bytes, 585728 bytes. This .dll file is a Browser Helper Object (BHO) that runs automatically every time you start your Internet browser. BHOs are not stopped by personal firewalls, because they are identified by the firewall as your browser itself. BHOs are often used by adware and spyware. The unique ID of this BHO is 7C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9 (http://www.google.com/search?q=%227C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9%22). The program is not visible. aoltb.dll is able to monitor Internet browser. aoltb.dll is not a Windows core file. Program can be removed using the control panel Add\Remove programs applet. aoltb.dll is able to record inputs. Therefore the technical security rating is 49% dangerous.

Some malware camouflage themselves as aoltb.dll, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the aoltb.dll process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/index.html?ref=file.net) for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

michiken
06-24-2006, 10:44 AM
See my previous post about Spybot, Adaware and other Security Software. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26556)

After you install the software, try booting into safe mode which will skip all drivers.

As your computer starts hit the F8 key while the first ram check message is showing.

Bala
06-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Irish: you did not mention if you use or have ever used AOL. Or perhaps your computer came with AOL installed. AOL is notorious for making custom changes to IE. If so, give AOL a call they are open 24/7. It may simply be a corrupt DLL. Have AOL email you a clean file and install it in the appropriate location.

DJofSD
06-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Better yet -- use FireFox and Thunderbird if you're not an AOL customer.

CapperLou
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Just about a week ago I received an auto update telling me to download some files to fix a security risk to IE from MS. I also downloaded genuine advantage.

Now, many times a day I'm getting kicked off of AOL when it is running and then it comes back with choice of details etc.

But, I'm also getting kicked out just using IE.

Any help would be appreciated. I know now I should not have dlownloaded either of these. I do not have SP2 on this computer. Running Windows XP Home on a Dell 4500 DT 2003.

CapperLou

P.S. Running on Comcast High Speed Internet.

Snag
08-17-2006, 01:12 PM
I do not have SP2 on this computer. Running Windows XP Home on a Dell 4500 DT 2003.

Do you have the auto download turned on for MS Windows Update? If you do, or if you downloaded the latest update on your own, you will have problems because you are not running SP2. The latest update is causing problems for folks that are not running SP2 because MS, in their wisdom, assumed everyone would be running SP2. They now have a conflict and are issuing another fix on Aug 22.

CapperLou
08-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Do you have the auto download turned on for MS Windows Update? If you do, or if you downloaded the latest update on your own, you will have problems because you are not running SP2. The latest update is causing problems for folks that are not running SP2 because MS, in their wisdom, assumed everyone would be running SP2. They now have a conflict and are issuing another fix on Aug 22.

I turned the auto download off this morning. I want to thank you kindly for your help. I cannot download SP2 because JCapper is not compatible with it--you have to do lots of things that I do not want to bother with to get it to work. MS wisdom!!!!!!!!

All the best,

CapperLou

skate
08-20-2006, 10:43 PM
capperlou;

i was just going thru similar problems. i had SP2 awhile back and then removed SP2, thing s going fine, until last month.

man, i just hate (no patience) this crap. so many updates. it makes it tuff to figure just what does what to your system, anymore.

im thinking bout moving back to vegas.

but anyhow, now i have SP2 back, running fine, but im thinking also about using linux or Apple as second PCs.

ghostyapper
08-21-2006, 12:20 PM
You can disable add ons if you have sp2 or just disable 3rd party browser extensions in the tools menu.

skate
08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
ghosty;

ok, yeh i see where youre coming from, things are running good now, but i took the window meesage to Disable, dont need it myself, thanks

CapperLou
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Skate:

MS indicates that there will be a fix for the ie problem for those with SP1 as if 8/22, but so far today I do not see anything. Also I have my updates turned on today and the only thing showing up is SP2 and SP3 which I do not want.

If you know anything further, or have a link, please advise.

Meanwhile, my computer keeps going down from one site after another or cannot access some sites at all.

CapperLou

skate
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
ya capper;;

well, i'm not really the right contact for this type situation. maybe something here will help.

i kinda know enough to fish around , while i don't keep the right notes during my path.

i had many problems w/ scary messages and lost pages etc.
i, years back had SP2, didn;t like and thru out.

things were fine, with sp1, until recently.
i now have sp2, back again and everything is OK.

after reading "snags" comments, this must have been my problem.
with up dates coming in, i cant tell from "nothing"...

but again, here i am with sp2 and going well. updates open.

CapperLou
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
skate:

Around 8/26 MS issued an update to fix the problem they caused for those of us who use SP1 only. Everthing AOK now!!!

CapperLou