PDA

View Full Version : Longest Maiden Run

bigmack
06-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Anyone know the record or approx # of r's it took to break through?

lsbets
06-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Zippy Chippy was over 100 and never did it.

bigmack
06-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Thanks Is
That story is priceless

http://www.syracuseuniversitypress.syr.edu/encyclopedia/entries/zippy-chippy.html

Here's Zippy b4 his 100th loss

kenwoodallpromos
06-23-2006, 03:54 AM
Is Zippy currently an outrider horse at FL? If so he beats ever horse he leads!!

Zaf
06-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Hey Tom,

Say hello to Zippy this weekend for me.

Z

Zman179
06-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Before Zippy, it was Gussie Mae who held the record for futility. She finally won at Atlantic City on her 87th try.

skate
06-23-2006, 01:46 PM
well, i forgot the name, but it must have been Gussie May (i was thinking it was at Garden State). i bet the horse on the 86 th and 87 th try (little wet turf) as i recall, paid about $19.00. middle 90s would be my guess on the time this happened.

horse ran again a few times, didn't win. i think the same owners stayed with this horse, all the way.

bigmack
06-23-2006, 02:48 PM
well, i forgot the name, but it must have been Gussie May (i was thinking it was at Garden State). i bet the horse on the 86 th and 87 th try (little wet turf) as i recall, paid about $19.00. middle 90s would be my guess on the time this happened.
Think he paid an even $20 skate. Precious line -"give him a little rest"

Never Say Never

Horseplayers know what it feels like to lose. Maybe that's why they loved Gussie Mae so much. The six-year-old gelding was on a pace to break Thoroughbred racing's all-time consecutive loss skein, held by Really A Tenor who blew 85 races before breaking his maiden. The truly perverse turned out in droves to watch Gussie Mae as he inched closer to the record books. Local television camera crews began chronicling the horse's sad saga and Garden State Park, where the gelding was doing the bulk of his losing, started admitting anyone named Gus free on days when Gussie Mae was entered.

But then it happened: on June 7 at Atlantic City Race Course, Gussie Mae exploded from the gate and wired a field of $5,000 maiden claimers to lay claim to a winner's circle photo after 84 losing efforts, in effect losing his bid to break the record for losses. "We'll probably give him a little rest," explained Gussie Mae's trainer Robert Marchiano. "He's earned it. Then we'll look for something at seven furlongs again. We originally got him as a pet, but then he started to do well, so we just went on with him."

gillenr
06-23-2006, 11:18 PM
He won a ton of money finishing 2/3 - maybe 250K - before his first win.

Overlay
06-24-2006, 06:02 AM
He won a ton of money finishing 2/3 - maybe 250K - before his first win.

Horses like Zippy Chippy, Gussie Mae, and Jacques Who may make a fair sum of money from the times that they finish second or third before winning, but think of how much win-bet money goes down the drain on them, especially after they come close in their latest race, only to disappoint their backers once again the next time out. The percentages are definitely in favor of betting against them, especially since their odds when they finally do win generally don't come close to corresponding to the risk taken in betting them, or to making up for the previous amount of win money lost.

Tom
06-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Overlay, one of my favorite throw out angles - the proven loser that finished in the money last time out. Like a furnace for money. ZC was actually favored at times!

bigmack
06-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Overlay, one of my favorite throw out angles - the proven loser that finished in the money last time out. Like a furnace for money. ZC was actually favored at times!
It's the same people that figure the coin came up heads 5 times in a row and is now due to go tails

BlueShoe
07-01-2006, 02:22 AM
In the 9th and final race at Monmouth Park,a race for New Jersey bred fillies and mares valued at 10 thousand dollars maiden claiming,a 10 year old mare finally won.Terrra Cynthus,making her 30th career start,came from far back to get up and pay $12.80 for the win.While the 30th start is certainly not a record,am unable to recall any horse breaking its maiden at the ripe old age of 10.Can any of you top this one?It happened just today,Friday.Vaguely recall two or three that got the job done at six or seven,but ten??

jballscalls
07-01-2006, 08:25 AM
this past winter at Portland we had a horse that broke her maiden in a field of 7. It was her 56th career start. She had a new bug rider, and raced with no whip. When she crossed the line in front, Mike O'brien (announcer) said "56th time was the charm" LOL it was hysterical. The odd part, horse went off at 9/2!!