PDA

View Full Version : See How They Run

anotherdave
08-22-2002, 10:17 PM
Has anyone here read "See How They Run" by Tom McCormick? It is offered by RPM and itsdata.com. Any comments would be appreciated.

AD

Dave Mark
09-03-2002, 11:17 PM
I read McCormicks book a few years ago.

I liked it.

He was a horse shoer years ago, today lives in Florida and he seems to know his stuff.

With entertaining articles, he writes from the heart, and tells you what he really knows and what he does, as far as how he plays.

Tested I think over 5,000 races, paper and pencil as at time he wrote the book he did not use or like computers.

Personally, if it was a computer program, would save much time. (Who knows, maybe he someday will).

To give the jist of his method, without going into to much detail.

Tom shows the importance of improving or declining horses, and he shows how to figure what the horse is likely to do today.

I give it 4 stars out of 5.
If it would not be so time consuming to do these figures, I would give it 41/2 stars.

Good read seriously.

anotherdave
09-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input, Dave. I appreciate it.

AD

llegend39
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Has anyone here read "See How They Run" by Tom McCormick? It is offered by RPM and itsdata.com. Any comments would be appreciated.

AD

Has anyone read this book and if so any opinion?
Im looking to purchase it thanks

thaskalos
02-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Of all the handicapping books I have read - and I think I have read all the "serious" works of the last 30 years - this book is the most unique. He supplies "feet per second" ratings at all distances, which he uses to rate several past performance lines from each individual horse. He then compares each horse, NOT against the other horses in the race, but against the horse itself. He also uses "form angles" which, along with the numerical ratings, reveal whether or not the horse is capable of a big effort today.
The only negative of the book is that the author is not a skilled enough writer to take a complicated subject like this and make it an interesting read. The book is a little confusing, and the many anecdotes and stories he tells unfortunately add to the confusion.

Tom
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't see on ITS, and does RPM have a website?
$65 on eBay....a bit steep.

GameTheory
02-18-2010, 11:15 PM
I don't see on ITS, and does RPM have a website?
$65 on eBay....a bit steep.That's cause this thread is from 2002...

Tom
02-19-2010, 07:43 AM
D'oh!

Thanks, GT :blush:

fast4522
02-19-2010, 09:56 PM
It sound like another good read.

llegend39
02-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Of all the handicapping books I have read - and I think I have read all the "serious" works of the last 30 years - this book is the most unique. He supplies "feet per second" ratings at all distances, which he uses to rate several past performance lines from each individual horse. He then compares each horse, NOT against the other horses in the race, but against the horse itself. He also uses "form angles" which, along with the numerical ratings, reveal whether or not the horse is capable of a big effort today.
The only negative of the book is that the author is not a skilled enough writer to take a complicated subject like this and make it an interesting read. The book is a little confusing, and the many anecdotes and stories he tells unfortunately add to the confusion.

Still looking if anyone would like to sell-and yes I KNOW its on Ebay for $65 and he can keep it for that price.

fast4522
02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Lets be very real here, I have met several people I have no question with who I have in fact sent stuff to including books. The cost at the post office is about $2.50 to mail a good size book at "book rate". You have to ask for book rate/media in order to not pay double. When you get it you should scan the book into PDF and not say much in the open about it. Finding stuff out of print can be done this way. Trust is always a issue but if you can provide references to people who you have mailed them back in the same week even though thy said take your time, it helps.