PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Downs?

Milleruszk
06-19-2006, 12:33 PM
What happened to their TV coverage? I could not find Colonial races on either TVG or HRTV this weekend. I couldn't even pull up the video on my computer. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks. :eek:

JimG
06-19-2006, 01:12 PM
What happened to their TV coverage? I could not find Colonial races on either TVG or HRTV this weekend. I couldn't even pull up the video on my computer. Anyone know what is going on? Thanks. :eek:

Video was on Brisbet. As a VA resident, I had to bet through TVG. Youbet not carrying CNL at all as they do not have a deal yet with the VA racing commission. TVG carries it on TV on Monday and Tuesday, the light days. On the weekends it carries it's exclusive tracks first, then only carries other tracks when time permits. Since I do not get HRTV, I have no idea about that.

Jim

Si2see
06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah I believe tvg will show it tonight and tomorrow night but not on saturdays or sundays. I know one thing it was beautiful out there this weekend even though I couldnt hit a good race to save my life. Jason

Wickel
06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Count me as one of the gang who missed Colonial Downs on the horse racing networks this weekend. TVG put on a big promotion about the track last week and then showed zilch--at least on Saturday and Sunday. I think Colonial is one of the premier turf meets of the summer and one of the few tracks where you can bet maidens and claimers on the grass every day. Strangely, the Native American racebook north of Santa Fe is not carrying Colonial. I haven't heard about whether The Downs at Albuquerque is or not.
Someone told me it had something to do with a contract disupte or something. Any similar problems across the country?

Tom
06-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Showing Colonial would cut into Todd Shrupp's expert commentary?
Waddaya want, good turf racing or mindless drivel???

foregoforever
06-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Colonial is on XpressBet if you're so inclined. Colonial and Youbet aren't getting along very well these days because of an idiotic state law that requires Youbet to reach an agreement with Colonial in order to be licensed in VA. The foul stench of lawsuits is in the air.

Milleruszk
06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys. I just checked and I can get the Colonial Downs video from NJ Account Wagering. Because I am in the enlightened gambling state of NJ I can only have an online account with NJ Account Wagering.

Tom

JimG
06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Strangely, the Native American racebook north of Santa Fe is not carrying Colonial. I haven't heard about whether The Downs at Albuquerque is or not.
Someone told me it had something to do with a contract disupte or something. Any similar problems across the country?

Wickel,

Other than their current skirmish with YouBet, I have not heard of anything else. If I do, I will post back. Regarding online wagering, the only licenced outlets to take online bets at this time in VA are Xpressbet, TVG, and CNL Downs. Word is the commission does want to expand online wagering outlets. They were initially concerned CNL was going for a monopoly on that since they were the first licenced to take online bets in the state.

Jim

bigmack
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Colonial is on XpressBet if you're so inclined. Colonial and Youbet aren't getting along very well these days because of an idiotic state law that requires Youbet to reach an agreement with Colonial in order to be licensed in VA. The foul stench of lawsuits is in the air.
How did you get the book on this forego?
Great moniker by the way.

foregoforever
06-19-2006, 09:31 PM
I've tried to follow the Colonial - Youbet situation by reading the minutes of the VRC, along with some other documents, on the VA.gov website, and by piecing together bits and pieces from the limited newspaper coverage. It's a bit speculative, perhaps, but hey, this is the internet ... :)

The VRC has been anxious to get advance deposit account wagering providers licensed for years, based on studies that showed significant amounts of revenue being lost to off-shore outfits. The state passed a law allowing the VRC to license these companies, but provided that they needed to reach agreements with the horsemen associations and licensed tracks in VA for fees. Colonial is, of course, the only licensed track in VA.

The problem came when Colonial launched their own account wagering system, which is really provided by The Racing Channel. Colonial is just a "front" for it. Needless to say, Colonial had no problems negotiating a deal with themselves, and theirs was the first licensed ADAW outfit in VA.

They were the only ones for a very long time, as TVG, Youbet, XpressBet and AmericaTab all were unable to negotiate an acceptable deal with Colonial, who had little motivation for licensing competitors when they could reap the entire simulcast fee through their own service. There were several meetings in which reps from Youbet, TVG and XpressBet voiced their displeasure. The details weren't released, but clearly Colonial was asking for higher fees than the ADAW's were willing to pay.

The VRC was annoyed, and a state report pointed out the inherent conflict-of-interest in the situation. But rather than trying to change the law, the VRC elected to encourage Colonial by reminding them that their own ADAW license came up for annual renewal. That apparently had some results, as TVG and XpressBet have reached an agreement. AmericaTab is trying but is still having some issues. Youbet has been the most vocal. In one blurb I saw, their rep said that Colonial's terms essentially broke the model of all the agreements they have with other states.

In recent months, the VRC minutes haven't addressed the issue. Each month, there's some legalese about them going into closed session to discuss a matter relating to pending litigation.

Youbet actually takes accounts in VA. I've had one for several years. At one point, Youbet's position was that federal law permitted them to operate in any state that had legalized parimutuel wagering, which applies to VA. There was a blurb about a possible cease & desist order having been given to Youbet a while back. Between the VRC, Colonial and Youbet, it's hard to figure out who's interested in suing whom.

It's also hard to figure out who to root for. I have more fun playing Colonial than any other track. I love turf racing, and it offers some nice wagering prospects. There are more turf-loving horses around here than there are turf races, so you can often find horses with mediocre dirt form that have run well in their infrequent turf starts. And Colonial is a well-run operation. I always have fun there, the people are nice, the announcer is top-notch, the handicapper is a lot of fun. The VA Derby is a great race, too. I'll take Kitten's Joy and Artie Schiller coming down the stretch together over any race I've seen in years.

But I'm not too pleased with Colonial over this mess with Youbet. I don't really understand why Colonial deservies a sizable cut when I sit at home and wager on Saratoga through Youbet. Colonial only puts on a couple months of thoroughbred racing a year, after all. The money needs to go to the folks that are putting on the show.

If anyone has any insight into this mess, I'm all ears. I sent a FOIA request to the VRC the other night. I don't expect anything good out of it, but I'm tired of no progress on all this.

Sorry if this violates an "excessive length" clause in the by-laws ...