PDA

View Full Version : A Handicappers first priority

BELMONT 6-6-09
06-17-2006, 09:00 PM
The number one reason i wager money in a parimutuel horse race is to exploit a vulnerable favorite.Yes this process is very subjective in nature,however my experience of thirty some odd years in this game reveals when a race favorite is vulnerable...At this point i begin to load my weapon and look for a clear cut advantage situation that in itself can be a potential postive play.

This everyday handicapping process works for me as even in a losing situation (IMO) the bet was a good one where i had some percentage advantage riding along with the wager.

I cannot justify a wager on a race trying to beat a legitimate race favorite.This additionally eliminates the amount of races that i play on a daily basis,thus keeping my parimutuel play in a controlled (the majority), of the time which leads to profitable play in the long run.

I am unable to show a long term profit when wagering on favorites,it just does,nt work out for me. any opinions on this topic.

Thank you and nothing but success to all zappi

kenwoodallpromos
06-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Whenever you can beat a favorite you get decent odds, especially if the fav is less than 2-1!

Overlay
06-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I've found that value is potentially available at all points on the odds spectrum, and, to me, finding that value is the handicapper's true first priority. Of course, it always helps when the public is betting a favorite to a degree that you believe isn't justified, based on your estimation of the horse's winning chances. But I don't think it's necessary to have an automatic anti-favorite or anti-low odds bias when handicapping, especially considering that the bulk of winners come from horses in the lower odds ranges. If wagering value is present, the horse is worth a bet, even though it may be a legitimate favorite. It all depends on a comparison of your opinion of the horse's winning chances with the public's opinion.