PDA

View Full Version : Suffolk Downs

KingChas
06-13-2006, 12:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-SUFFOLK-DOWNS-HORSERACING-SEASON-PASS_W0QQitemZ8825838971QQcategoryZ429QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

Inflation in Beantown? Errr... Mass? Can't beat this price! :D

Suff
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Jockeys' Guild continues to recover from scandal

<H5>WILL GRAVES

Associated Press 6-12-06

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - When Darrell Haire, the interim national director of the Jockeys' Guild, spoke to riders at Suffolk Downs just outside of Boston recently, he brought a single application for the Guild, hoping he could convince at least one of the riders to join.

But Haire wasn't even sure he'd get the chance to take the application out of his briefcase. The Guild's reputation has taken a beating since it fired former director Dr. Wayne Gertmenian in November after he left it with just $6,000 in the bank and over a million dollars in debt.

The fallout from Gertmenian's alleged mismanagement left the Guild shaken and Haire unsure if the union, which has over 1,200 active members, would survive.

But by the time Haire finished talking to the riders at Suffolk Downs, he didn't need one application. He needed five.:ThmbUp:

"You know, Suffolk Downs has its own problems, but to have the riders still step up and show they're proud Guild members and be supportive, it really meant the world to me," Haire said.

</H5>

Tom
06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Thinking of flying in for an afternoon at Suffolk - they are just past the airport on Route 1, no? I used to drive by, and remeber it was close, but not sure if it was 1 or not.
I have to ue us some FF miles, so that sounded like a good idea. I assume I can grab a cab over from the airport.

Humph
06-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Thinking of flying in for an afternoon at Suffolk - they are just past the airport on Route 1, no? I used to drive by, and remeber it was close, but not sure if it was 1 or not.
I have to ue us some FF miles, so that sounded like a good idea. I assume I can grab a cab over from the airport.

Take the bus that calls at all the airport terminals which goes to the airport T stop (subway). Take the train (blue line) outbound, and the Suffolk Downs stop is only a very short journey. The station is right next to the track.

Suff
06-14-2006, 08:07 AM

Shit man, if your going to come here, first off, let me know and I'll meet you for lunch at Suffolk.

Secondly, Humph's right. MBTA has free shuttle that'll drop you at Airport Station.....for $1.25 you go 4 stops to suffolk downs... when you get off the train, Suffolk has a little van that drops you right at the Clubhouse entrance. That's free to.

But you gotta go downtown if you come here. The big dig is nearly over, and the city looks great. The North End is rocking and rolling like never before.

There are so many things to see and do, and they are all within 2 or 3 miles of each other....

btw... A CAB from Airport to suffolk probably cost you $18.00 for the brief trip because they're murderer's......

Keep me posted on your plans and I'll see what I can do.

joeyspicks
06-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Took the train to Suffolk on Belmont Day...........it was closed....NO electricity !!! No kidding. About 100 people milling out front looking lost. No one in management had a clue if or when it would be on. I left and went to plainville simulcast and had a terrific day. Suffolk was dark all day.............just wonderful management! :lol:

Tom
06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Suff, Humph.
Trying to find an open day - not easy anymore!
Suff, I ate down on the harbor once - very nice.
I was always driving up to Salem, so I usually ate at the Hilltop in Saugus! Talk about a steak dinner!

fouroneone
06-14-2006, 10:51 AM
They moved the mass cap to September 30th?

Seems late, but i will def be making the trip up there for that.

Humph
06-14-2006, 11:06 AM
They moved the mass cap to September 30th?

Seems late, but i will def be making the trip up there for that.

They've moved the date back to make the race a prep for Breeders' Cup horses.