PDA

View Full Version : Email this guy

andicap
08-21-2002, 08:37 AM
http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/cl-et-lowry21aug21.story?coll=cl%2Dtvent

Let him know "Let it Ride" is one of the best horse racing movies of all time, not "dreadful" as he calls it.

cj
08-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Done!

Who the hell does this guy think he is ripping the greatest movie of all time!!!

CJ

Lefty
08-23-2002, 08:46 PM
Sorry guys, it was pretty good but, as usual in these types of movies, the mathematics were all wrong. One scene has the guy making a win bet then filling out tax papers on the money. What?

superfecta
08-25-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Lefty
Sorry guys, it was pretty good but, as usual in these types of movies, the mathematics were all wrong. One scene has the guy making a win bet then filling out tax papers on the money. What? I thought if you cashed for more than 5k at one time(even on multiple tickets,not just one)the track was required to withhold 25% for the IRS.

rrbauer
08-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Payoff has to be 300-1 or greater AND total of $5k or more for withholding to be taken. If payoff is 300-1 or greater AND total is more than $600 but less than $5k then you have to sign, but no withholding is taken.

Bet $1 tickets as much as possible to stay under the radar!

Lefty
08-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Don't think that was case when movie was made and even if it was so easy not to do it on win bets. In vegas it takes 10,000 cashed to trigger the "papers" and smart gamblers know better.
I don't think I have ever seen a "gambling movie" where they didn't screw up the math even the ones made in Vegas. Gawd.
Moviemakers: I'm available as a consultant.

Richard
08-28-2002, 06:31 AM
Fellow Equine Enthusiasts,
I've never seen this movie.Does anyone know if it is available on VHS or DVD?

cj
08-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Richard,

It is available in both formats. It is not perfect from a horse racing perspective as some have pointed out, but the cast of racetrack "characters" make it hilarious in my opinion and many others I know as well.

CJ

andicap
08-28-2002, 09:03 AM
It's a movie. They are allowed dramatic license. No movie is entirely true to life. Ever see Hollywood biographies??
To criticize a film for failing to be entirely authentic is like criticizing a novel because it's not true -- as long as the film is not totally off the wall and misleading as to its central charactors. I mean I wouldn't like a racetrack film full of wildly improbably finishes and lots of horses at 80-1 winning.

And I think "Let it Ride' captures the spirit of the crazy gambler and some of the charactors at the track.

JimG
08-28-2002, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by andicap

And I think "Let it Ride' captures the spirit of the crazy gambler and some of the charactors at the track.

Without a doubt. That's what gives the movie its charm. Some of the lesser characters made this movie for me.

Jim