PDA

View Full Version : Watching a Horserace

LutherCalvin
06-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Part of the fun for me in thoroughbred racing is observing the reactions of my fellow handicappers as they watch the horseraces. The stress emotions of anger, depression, and fear are clearly evident in their behavior. Most horseplayers become quite animated as the horses enter the stretch, cheering on their selections, leaning left or right in a superstitious attempt to reduce or lengthen the finish line, and calling out numbers as if magically evoking them into being. During the stretch run the cursing will begin as the losing gamblers express their wrath as the mighty thoroughbreds they bet on turn into nags. Someone walked into the off track parlor I was at when one of the races was finishing and heard language that would make a drunken sailor blush. "It's definitely not church here," the newcomer said. A veteran horseplayer said, "No, but theres a lot of prayin' going on."

kitts
06-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I especially enjoy the cheering and the high-five when the 3/5 horse beats the 9/5 horse for a 6.60 exacta!

And the sad event I witnessed when some apparent newcomers hit for a $5k exacta. I was happy for their score but sad to think about all the many, many near impossible exactas they will chase.

WJ47
06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
When I was younger and easily amused, I used to love to stand right by the finish line at Buffalo Raceway and hear the angry and profane comments shouted by the bettors! :) LOL, I heard words that I didn't even know existed! One horseplayer was really passionate in his criticism of horses and drivers and he'd make a big show of tearing up his losing tickets and throwing them in the air like confetti and doing a little dance. He was actually quite creative in his profanity, I thought it was hilarious.

The funny thing was that about 15 years later, Buffalo Raceway put in slots, so I went to check them out with some family members, and of course, ended up upstairs to wager on racing. And I see the same guy, his hair was gray now, and he's still screaming, swearing, dancing and tearing up tickets! :)

Overlay
06-09-2006, 08:24 PM
"...and calling out numbers as if magically evoking them into being."

That's the way my son always kids me about the people we see when we go to the local betting outlet to pick up a Form, cheering their horse on just by its number ("Come on with that two! Come on with that two!"), with likely no idea of its name or anything else about it. (I've vowed to make a racing fan out of him yet, though.)

Tom
06-10-2006, 12:22 AM
In the old days, when OTB oly had the audio calls, everyone would line up in front of the placard on the wall, with the horses names listed on it and stare at it!
I would stand in front of eveyone and face them, looking at each one, It actually made some of them visably nervous, and one guy even complained to the manager that I was a nut!:lol:

Nowadays, I can only do this in elevators.

skate
06-10-2006, 11:38 AM
kitts'

i was not aware that you and "rysteve" were going to the same track.

isn't he a scream?

good points

skate
06-10-2006, 11:48 AM
ok ok but, you gotta call the numbers.

gees, some of these names (i love em), imagine calling "come on"-
Rufustheroadrunner
littlebitofhope
gottahaveacat, the race would be over, before the cheer.

ok., "big red" would be fine, but some names wow.