PDA

View Full Version : Need Another New Computer

Buzz
06-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Hi,

I have a techno question. It has been asked before but technology changes rapidly and so does the answer to this kind of question.

I am going to buy a computer from CPU Solutions. I am going to use the program solely to run Adobe CS2 and design some training aids.

For now I will not be using video footage and will focus on editing huge PDF files. 1Meg-6Meg. Also I will do a lot of file format conversions.

Along with this I will be doing a lot of word processing, again I will be working on large files 1Meg-3Meg.

I plan on running XP-Pro, Word 2003, Adobe CS2, Explorer, and Outlook.

The question is what hardware do you recommend?

I would like to use an AMD processor, possibly the Fx64 single core.

Dual cores have been coming down in price but I don’t see much need for one since none of the software I am going to use is written for a dual core.

I have been told that if I were going to do video editing a dual core would be a must.

Lastly….

My biggest concern is to avoid building a computer that has a “bottleneck” built into it because I chose the wrong hardware.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Buzz

headhawg
06-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Buzz,

If you don't want to be "bottlenecked" or outdated right away then buy the fastest dual core that you can afford. Future apps WILL take advantage of both cores, so you will be ready for them. In fact, quad-core processors are already in the works so this multi-core design is not a fad. You will do equally well with either an AMD or Intel. The current winner of the better dual-core design is AMD, but it looks like the new Intel design will be very, very good. There is some evidence that the current Intel dual-cores run apps faster (and games run faster with an AMD) so I think for your purposes either will be fine. I am not swaying you from AMD (I would choose them personally, but I still game a little) but Intel should not be an automatic throwout. (Although, "Core Duo" is an absolutely stupid name for their dual-cores.)

Get a good motherboard! I don't know what CPU solutions sells, but the board is the heart of your computer -- don't get some off brand. I prefer Asus. If there are certain features that you need (like a built-in LAN card) make sure the motherboard has them.

Get 2GB of the fastest DDR2 ram you can afford. (Name brand memory is better as well.)

Make sure that the disk controller is SATA II; the (theoretical) transfer rate is 300MB/sec which is double the SATA I rate.

Get a decent video card especially if you plan on upgrading to Windows Vista. The hardware requirements to run Vista will are pretty steep. Integrated video just won't cut it! It should have 256MB of onboard ram if you want to do this right. A nice mid-range card is based on the Nvidia 7600GT spec.

I'm sure I left something out, but this should give you a start. Good luck with your purchase.

HH

Bala
06-09-2006, 09:28 PM
For a measly $13,000.00 you can get this:

http://www.voodoopc.com/showroom.aspx?productID=1090

yak merchant
06-10-2006, 06:57 AM
Okay just bought components to build a server that is much like what you want. If you are going to use cpu solutions (by the way there prices aren't bad at all) I'd first decide between AMD versus Intel. I'm a big proponent of AMD, and I don't know your budget but I'd definitely spend the extra $200 on a dual core if you have the money. True you could get away with out it, but multi-tasking becomes so much easier with a dual-core. Starting a second app while the first one grinds on something is painless.

CPU.

I bought a dual core Opteron, but CPU solutions only offers Athlon X2 in the dual core. So I'd look at one of the packages that takes and X2, how fast is up to you.

Motherboard. If you get a AMD Dual Core you'll have to get a 939. CPU solutions offers mainly ASUS boards which is great. I'd go with one of the A8NSli boards if your budget allows as those boards are good, and will allow you to go to SLI if you ever want to.

RAM. Well if you go with AMD you don't need DDR2. Only the new AM2 stuff by AMD can use it (and even then it's not worth it as the way the AMD chips are currently architected they can't really take advantage of it). If you do decide on the new intel then definitely yes. If you go with AMD just get 2GB (two 1GB sticks) of PC3200. One GB is enough for most people, but the more you have the better especially with the large files you'll be working with.

Video Card.

I don't know much about video cards, as my servers are for data, and I'm sure most of the cards they are offering are adequate. No real recommendation here except like Headhawg said, make sure it will handle the Aero stuff in Vista.

Drives.

This is the only place I'm not real impressed with CPU solutions. It doesn't really look like they allow you to configure RAID even though most of the motherboards have it all built in, (or even tell you how they are configuring it) and most of the drives they offer are not SATA II on alot of the configuration, or won't allow you more than one on others.. I assume you'll need alot of drive space so you may need two drives. I don't game so I definitely don't need RAID 0. But I configure everything in RAID 1 so in case I lose a drive my data is safe (but I do spend twice as much money). This is why I probably wouldn't use CPU solutions and would build my own, but if you don't want data redundancy not that big a deal.

Other than that, whatever options you want go for it. I'd definitely get XP pro and not XP home.

So after looking at it, I'd either pick

the Athlon 64 Performer System under the Business Systems section

or the 939 Shark under the Power users Section. Good luck.

Buzz
06-11-2006, 07:29 AM
Headhawg, Bala and Yak Merchant,

Thank-you for your input. With your combined information I am going to have a much better computer than I had planned on. All of you provided a great deal of food for thought. Thanks again.

HH,

“Being outdated right away” is not something that I had considered until you mentioned the hardware requirements for Vista. I am going to go with an AMD Dual Core 4800+.

Also thanks for nailing down the critical component categories to focus on. That has helped me organize this project and not get stuck on “infinite search.”

Bala,

I sensed that perhaps you were joking about the $13,500 computer. I checked out the web page and yes the price is ridiculous. However I researched the components that they are using and the performance should be amazing according to some of the specs that I found when I checked out the manufacturers’ specs.

Asus A8R-32 MVP Ati Crossfire Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core

Ati Radeon X1900XTX 512 SS Video board

Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Music Sound board

I checked the Web for comparison prices and the components are affordable! No joke J

Yak Merchant,

Thanks for taking the time to visit the CPU Solutions Site and reading through all the packages they offer and evaluating them. Their service is terrific however the products that they offer are targeted to a specific niche in the consumer market and that is tied to their business model.

I see now that I probably don’t fit their business model and probably will have the computer built locally with the specific components that I want. Thanks…you saved me one huge headache.

I appreciate everyones input and wish you guys continued success in your endeavors.

Buzz

PS Thanks PA

headhawg
06-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Glad I could help a little bit Buzz. One more thing regarding sound cards -- unless you need to be cutting edge, the previous generation Creative Audigy cards will be just fine and you will save some money.

Also something to be aware of: there are currently three expansion card slot types -- AGP, PCI, and the new PCI Express. They are all different, so make sure the card(s) you buy are correct for the slots that you have. Newer motherboards should have mostly PCI-E, but you may need regular PCI for "older" cards, like the Audigy that I mentioned above.

BTW, a dual-core 4800+?? I'm jealous! :)

Bala
06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
"......I sensed that perhaps you were joking about....."
Indeed I was! I have a tendency to use hyperbolic language in my posts simply because I am so busy I have no time for details.

Having said that I strongly recommend Scott Mueller's book http://tinyurl.com/zacca (http://tinyurl.com/zacca)it is now in its 17th edition - copyright date 2006. Previous edition has been my bible for over a decade.

To truly fine tune the performance of your system {old or new} I recommend Adrian Wong's book: http://tinyurl.com/h45gk

CapperLou
06-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Thanks for your thread at a good time for me also. I'm trying to "build" the right computer too, but I have to have someone put it together for me. The quality and service of Dell seem to have gone way down (they even stopped their user board recently and seem to only be interested in sales now with people selling here and then you are dumped over to India or nearby for service. The quality of the boxes etal also seems to get negative reviews. I had a nightmare with them a couple of mths after purchasing in 2002. Was down for three weeks--they just lied and lied over and over until I called Austin and demanded to speak to someone who could help me--then and only then did they come through.

You mention that you will get someone to build it for you. Who might I contact to do this? I'm in south Florida. I emailed headhawg who I know from the board and he helped me too. Going to buy that book mentioned above too.

All the best,

CapperLou

Buzz
06-12-2006, 07:51 AM
HH,
Thanks for the follow up tips.

Bala,
I will checkout the books you mentioned. Generally I shy away from computer books because they go out of date so quickly but if you found one that has held your interest for 10 years...I will give it a shot. <G>

Capper Lou,
Tough question. I am going to ask CPU Solutions if they will do it because I like their service. They built a business computer for me about 1 year ago and it has been totally trouble free. I do not know if they will do complete custom work though.

If I find another source I will let you know.

Buzz

DJofSD
06-16-2006, 02:09 AM
I would suggest using a WD raptor, 8MB buffer at 10,000 RPM for the C: drive and a SCSI drive (or drives in a RAID configuration) spinning at 15,000 RPM.

Every bit a speed you can add to the system will help.