PDA

View Full Version : NYRA... AKA Calder

Suff
08-20-2002, 03:58 PM
First race tommorrow MD75,000..... Purse 31 Grand..... Total Crapola..... I'm gonna run my horse out there and try and make 18 grand.. But if you wanna give me 75 thou for him..I'll take it. Thats why I don't bet Calder. They love those 80-100 Thousand claiming races with 20,000 dollar purses....Say all you want about what hurst racing... but this nonsense hurts the biz more than anything.. You just do not know from track to track what exactly the race condition was. You almost have to back out Year to date earnings... Divide by the wins , places and shows to determine what kinda race it was. If the Purse is 31 grand.. The claiming price should be 31 grand.. no more than 40 grand anyway.

Now you have mountaineer running CLM4000N1Y with 21,000 dollar purses because of the deal the horsemen made to allow slots... Delaware has inflated purses as well due to slots... But inflated purses are not as bad as inflated claiming prices... It really disapoints me to see the NYRA go with such a large variance in purse to price... and it is really really hard to cap these races when they get buried in Past Performances... and this is why "NEW BLOOD" just does not stick with the racing hobby... its to Fragmented.... Imagine if in Major League Baseball.. when you played in Colorado you got 4 outs an inning... but 3 outs in Boston,,, In New York you can play with 10 fielders but in Detroit you can play with only 8.... A 75,000 claimer should have a purse of 75,000.... or its not a 75,000 claiming race... its a 31,000 claiming race... a 100,000 claiming race at Calder should be equal to a 100,000 claiming race at Kneeland in both price and purse structure and the NYRA should be leading the way on this.. and the NTRA should really be working on this.

ranchwest
08-20-2002, 04:47 PM
I was basically with you until that baseball analogy. Conditions at ballparks are more diverse than horse class structures. Ah, we digress.

This is why I think computers are useful. You need to look at at least four or five different things nowadays to determine class accurately. Some of those things aren't even listed in most past performances.

Whitehos
08-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Yea, In Detroit we don't have 8 people that can play baseball.
All kidding aside there may be some correllation between the have and have nots in both baseball and horse racing?????
Whitehos

highnote
09-02-2002, 12:55 PM
I'm thankful this game isn't easy. If it was, the odds would plummet. If you can solve the puzzle, the bank vault is open and the money is yours for the taking.