PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Monday (8/19)

rrbauer
08-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Del Mar Monday August 19, 2002
Speed and the rail continue to be good. Horses have been winning from behind so I’d say it’s been pretty fair.
Turf rails are down. That promotes the closers.

R1
Rehabilitated has a nice development line, good figs and has worked well since raced. Pick Of The Valley got pinballed at the start in his last and lost all chance. He’s worked well since raced also.

R2
Easy Grades burns money like a blow torch. And, he does not catch a creampuff field. ‘Grades has worked great since his last. Taste Of Paradise stretches out for Sadler and will need to be caught. He has worked great since his last race too. Interesting that Solis stays here and leaves Headley, one of his primary clients.

R3
Fall For Me was gelded prior to his last race. Looks like David has put a bunch of stamina drills in this guy to go with his speed; and, to add insult to injury, he double drops him. P Val for the ride. Breathless comes in for Ward after a couple years off. He showed some lick in his lone effort. Consult with Mr. Tote Board. I don’t know this trainer but Mr. Tufts has a firster, Its Always Busy, laid at 7/2. That 6f work at HOL on Aug 4 is pretty good.

R4
Honeyofascore drops, gets Lasix and moves in from the outside post that had her in the 4-path on the turn and upper stretch. That was all before Berrio lost his whip! Mr. Tufts candidates are Hot Topic and Ruby Mine. Both are OK and could beat me. Leigh Ann Howard is AWFUL with firsters so the nice works on Sheshotthesheriff over at San Luis need to be viewed with caution. Her horses are usually “short” first-time out.

R5
Lend Me A Dream gets the lead with Suspicious Girl tracking. If it were 6f I’d go with ‘Dream; but, at 6 ½ I think Lafitt can get ‘Girl up in the lane.

R6
Expressway fits best of the ones who have run. Braids and Beads has been consistent. If Peaceful Place runs back to her debut she will be tough too. None of the firsters look like world beaters.

R7
Another money burner. D’Wildcat could very easily be off the board in here so tread lightly. I plan to watch the race with my money in my pocket.

R8
Bush Triumph was erratic in the stretch in her last. Maybe she was just tired and will benefit. If she comes out with front wraps, I’d be heading for the parking lot to beat the traffic. If she’s clean legged then she will probably win because this field is really bad.

Good Luck and Go Baby Go!

rrbauer
08-19-2002, 08:54 PM
Del Mar Monday August 19, 2002
Damage!
R1
Rehabilitated has a nice development line, good figs and has worked well since raced. Pick Of The Valley got pinballed at the start in his last and lost all chance. He’s worked well since raced also. Result Rehab got parked out so P Val went on and carved out some healthy splits. Highly Suspect and ‘Valley came along wide out at the 3/8th pole to challenge. Those two ding-donged to the wire with ‘Valley getting the nod. Suave Meteorite got a perfect ground-saving trip and touched a very tired Rehab out of 3rd.

R2
Easy Grades burns money like a blow torch. And, he does not catch a creampuff field. ‘Grades has worked great since his last. Taste Of Paradise stretches out for Sadler and will need to be caught. He has worked great since his last race too. Interesting that Solis stays here and leaves Headley, one of his primary clients. Result Further flew to the lead with Spitfire Man and ‘Paradise chasing. ‘Grades came 3-wide on the far turn in a hand ride to eventually get up. Further was a game 2nd. ‘Paradise held sway for 3rd.

R3
Fall For Me was gelded prior to his last race. Looks like David has put a bunch of stamina drills in this guy to go with his speed; and, to add insult to injury, he double drops him. P Val for the ride. Breathless comes in for Ward after a couple years off. He showed some lick in his lone effort. Consult with Mr. Tote Board. I don’t know this trainer but Mr. Tufts has a firster, Its Always Busy, laid at 7/2. That 6f work at HOL on Aug 4 is pretty good. Result Breathless came out clean legged as did Fall For Me. Breathless was a vet scratch at the gate. ‘Busy popped the gate nicely and nearly cleared but for ‘Fall. They hooked up and ran as a team to the wire with ‘Fall getting the win by about a length. A Real King tracked inside and picked up 3rd. I hate to say this but it looked to me like ‘King was being held in the upper stretch and then allowed to stride out when the outcome was clear. ‘King has bankrolled about $30k as a Mdn and maybe picking up the 2nd- and 3rd-place pieces, amounts to some easy walking-around money!

R4
Honeyofascore drops, gets Lasix and moves in from the outside post that had her in the 4-path on the turn and upper stretch. That was all before Berrio lost his whip! Mr. Tufts candidates are Hot Topic and Ruby Mine. Both are OK and could beat me. Leigh Ann Howard is AWFUL with firsters so the nice works on Sheshotthesheriff over at San Luis need to be viewed with caution. Her horses are usually “short” first-time out. Result Money Honey! Money Honey! Helps when you get a clean break, can take back off fast splits and save ground, and get into the race from the 2-path, and don’t lose your whip! Ruby came along late to make it interesting, but Honey was clear at the wire. Pacesetter Hot Topic barely held 3rd. $9.20 for the win and $28 and change for the $2 exacta. I have both horses mentioned in the next one to complete P3’s.

R5
Lend Me A Dream gets the lead with Suspicious Girl tracking. If it were 6f I’d go with ‘Dream; but, at 6 ½ I think Lafitt can get ‘Girl up in the lane. Result Phew! ‘Dream popped, cleared and went to the rail. When I saw Krigger had that filly loose-reined on the backside, and 4 lengths in front, I thought for sure we would get nailed. But, she relaxed and really didn’t get late until the last 50 yds (never mind Trevor they weren’t going to catch her!). ‘Girl threatened off the turn, but got passed late and managed 4th. Hat’s off to trainer Ruben Cardenas. $14.20 on the win and $61.50 for the P3 which I had six times (eleven times with ‘Girl). Had extra P3’s due to the late scratch in the leadoff leg. Hell, I’ll take ‘em anyway I can get ‘em! (Did you see the lady in the winner’s circle with the bottle of champagne? My kind of girl!)

R6
Expressway fits best of the ones who have run. Braids and Beads has been consistent. If Peaceful Place runs back to her debut she will be tough too. None of the firsters look like world beaters. Result Chapeau? Ugh! ‘Braids was 2nd and Expressway 3rd. Told ya’ the firsters were chopped liver. (Got something right!) Lafitt gets number 1,000 at DMR. Sid and Jenny with big hugs in the winner’s circle. Where’s the lady with the champagne? Wednesday’s form out yet? HTW: Casting Call stretching out off this one.

R7
Another money burner. D’Wildcat could very easily be off the board in here so tread lightly. I plan to watch the race with my money in my pocket. Result Crap! No Tri! I had a barn-burner Tri worked out trying to beat the ‘cat….Shoot! The “G” force made sure the D’Wildcat didn’t get an early lead. But ‘cat got first run off the turn turning for home. ‘Alfred rallied out in the 4/5-paths with Zanapour scraping the outside fence. Zanapour easy winner. ‘Alfred touched the ‘cat out of 2nd late. I have zee doubles many times to zee GW horse in the 8th. (Had to take a stand!)

R8
Bush Triumph was erratic in the stretch in her last. Maybe she was just tired and will
benefit. If she comes out with front wraps, I’d be heading for the parking lot to beat the traffic. If she’s clean legged then she will probably win because this field is really bad. Result Comebacker #9 Slew To Siren took some money. It had some good works, but it’s had even better ones before and never ran to them. Cut to the chase. Bush was away slowly but P Val didn’t panic and just settled in and picked them off one at a time. Neat inside/outside move into the lane to get a clear run. ‘Siren (4-path trip) pressed every step and touched Passionate Caper out of 2nd. Improved race for that one. Oh! Bush came out in rear rundowns which are OK….$30 DD comes back $198. Up for zee day. Up for zee week!

See ya Wednesday.