PDA

View Full Version : Pace and Alexa

Suff
06-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Fiddling with my new Alexa toolbar

Pace, you rnumbers are going up, significantly

What is Traffic Rank?
The traffic rank is based on three months of aggregated historical traffic data from millions of Alexa Toolbar users and is a combined measure of page views and users (reach). As a first step, Alexa computes the reach (http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/traffic_learn_more.html#reach) and number of page views (http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/traffic_learn_more.html#page_views) for all sites on the Web on a daily basis. The main Alexa traffic rank is based on the geometric mean of these two quantities averaged over time (so that the rank of a site reflects both the number of users who visit that site as well as the number of pages on the site viewed by those users). The three-month change is determined by comparing the site's current rank with its rank from three months ago. For example, on July 1, the three-month change would show the difference between the rank based on traffic during the first quarter of the year and the rank based on traffic during the second quarter.

What is Reach?
Reach measures the number of users. Reach is typically expressed as the percentage of all Internet users who visit a given site. So, for example, if a site like yahoo.com has a reach of 28%, this means that if you took random samples of one million Internet users, you would on average find that 280,000 of them visit yahoo.com. Alexa expresses reach as number of users per million. Alexa's one-week and three-month average reach are measures of daily reach, averaged over the specified time period. The reach rank is a ranking of all sites based solely on their reach. The three-month changes are determined by comparing a site's current reach and reach rank with its values from three month ago.

Suff
06-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Last month , your traffic was really hot. When compared to equibase's trackmaster ( a big Horse site) you fared very well. Your gains matched or exceeded thiers. It appears you were hitting the 10K level on a consistent basis around triple crown time.

Suff
06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
In terms of page views... you blew Trackmaster away in late may. Page views are big to advertizers and a baseline is 4.5 per visit for serious consideration for advertisers. You doubled consistently

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Very strange. Every time I had used Alexa to check my site's rank, I had been severely disappointed. Almost like my site was non-existent. I chalked this up to the fact that most of the people who came to my site didn't use the Alexa toolbar....

Are you getting these stats from the Alexa website?

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
In terms of page views... you blew Trackmaster away in late may. Page views are big to advertizers and a baseline is 4.5 per visit for serious consideration for advertisers. You doubled consistently

I think I'm going to email this thread to some of the advertisers who have given me the cold shoulder recently. Some of the biggest names out there I might add.....

The only people who seem to WANT to advertise here are off shore books, and I have resisted them to date.....BUT.....I'm starting to have a change of heart....

Unless of course the big boys step up......

Suff
06-04-2006, 06:46 PM
yes... various report generations from thier site

Suff
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
You absolutely hold your own vs Brisbet

michiken
06-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Umm, you do know that alexa is spyware (http://www.sculptedcd.com/node/8)?

Suff
06-04-2006, 08:01 PM

It is the tool of choice and the industry standard for AD BUYS from web marketing professionals.

Call a WWW advertiser and introduce your site. While your talking, they're alex'ing you.

All big ad buys go off alexa. It's the Nielsons of the Internet.

From my understanding.

JustRalph
06-04-2006, 08:59 PM

I agree with Mich on this one. I have been paid well to get rid of the bugs this thing can invite............

bigmack
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Suff - Run this little ditty
http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=cnet
Registry Mechanic

PaceAdvantage
06-05-2006, 12:50 AM
What's the difference between the Google toolbar and the Alexa toolbar? Do they consider the Google toolbar as spyware as well?

bigmack
06-05-2006, 12:53 AM
hope it helps
http://businesslogs.com/reviews/alexa_totally_unreliable.php

JustRalph
06-05-2006, 05:36 AM
What's the difference between the Google toolbar and the Alexa toolbar? Do they consider the Google toolbar as spyware as well?

When you install the google toolbar...........they ask if you want the "advanced features" say no............ if you say yes......it does report back some info. But I haven't looked into this for months......... I just always say no...........to "advanced features" who knows what the latest one does.

Suff
06-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Suff - Run this little ditty
http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=cnet
Registry Mechanic

:D :D
Elexa is the industry standard in web marketing.

I'm not sure who mistook this thread as something else?

Mack did you read the link you posted to me? That poster questioned the veracity of Alex'a data. A company he knew, or was affilated with was sold based on usage data supplied or viewed by Alexa.
I talk to web marketing professionals all day, I know what I speak.

A Nielson box on your TV is also "spyware". This tool is used widely. I was trained in it, I was instructed by my manager to have it. It's data and how it realates to projects I'm working on is vital to me. Alexa data is Topic #1, 2 or 3 in my morning meetings.

Trust me gents.

Tom
06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
So how is this different from the government "gathering" data on projects it is working on in terms of national security? It is on thier morning agenda every day too?

Sailwolf
06-06-2006, 06:47 AM
A little off topic, but....

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/06/one_year_ago_ha.html#posts?GT1=8211:mad:

StartedAt18
06-06-2006, 09:28 AM
It's sad that this company is the industry standard. They are so far off with my statistics. On my worst days they rank me in the top 10-20K and on my best days I'm ranked horrificly. My website gets about 1.7 million unique visitors per month and about 4 million pageviews per month. Yesterday I got 57,600 uniques and 126,000 pageviews, but I'm ranked 49,000 today. It's b.s. so I just don't look at it.

http://www.dapslyrics.com/index.php is my site btw...

Suff
06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
It's sad that this company is the industry standard. They are so far off with my statistics. On my worst days they rank me in the top 10-20K and on my best days I'm ranked horrificly. My website gets about 1.7 million unique visitors per month and about 4 million pageviews per month. Yesterday I got 57,600 uniques and 126,000 pageviews, but I'm ranked 49,000 today. It's b.s. so I just don't look at it.

http://www.dapslyrics.com/index.php is my site btw...

Your reading it wrong. The numbers are fairly close to what you suggest.

Your reach is roughly 80. Meaning for every million users that log onto the internet. 80 visit your site.

The 36,000 ish visitors is your three month rolling average. You started showing significant and steady gains in early march. You began seeing a GREATER THAN 50,000 uniques on a dialy basis in April. Although 40 or 50K visistors were frequent to your site, your dips were more consistent as well. Now your dips rarely go below 50K (3day avg). So the numbers are healthy and by looking at your site it appears you are not maximizing your advertising revenue.

You have a decent rank. Remember they start tracking sites that above 100,000 only. In the last three months you have passed over 8500 sites in ranking. Also, your reach per million is up almost 40% in the last 3 months.

The data clearly suggests you are getting 60-80K uniques a day.

Also, your page view rank is a reprsentative number of your site. Its a ranking of your TOTAL viewed pages when compared to ALL SITES being reviewed.

What are Page Views?
Page views measure the number of pages viewed by Alexa Toolbar users. Multiple page views of the same page made by the same user on the same day are counted only once. The page views per user numbers are the average numbers of unique pages viewed per user per day by the users visiting the site. The page view rank is a ranking of all sites based solely on the total number of page views (not page views per user). The three-month changes are determined by comparing a site's current page view numbers with those from three month ago.

Page views per million indicates what fraction of all the page views by toolbar users go to a particular site. For example, if yahoo.com has 70,000 page views per million, this means that 7% of all page views go to yahoo.com. If you summed the fractional page views over all sites, you would get 100% (this is not true of reach, since each user can of course visit more than one site).

All in all, considering you probably have no SEO program in place, and do not buy key words....Thier data is close enough.

Congratulations on our site. I think your sitting on untapped oil, but thats your business. Good luck.

StartedAt18
06-06-2006, 05:42 PM
All in all, considering you probably have no SEO program in place, and do not buy key words....Thier data is close enough.

Hmm.. since you put it that way... maybe I was reading it wrong. lol Forgive me mr. suff

SEO program? You're talking about Search Engine Optimization? My rankings on google and yahoo are awesome.
Google
Modern Rock Lyrics #3
Hip Hop Lyrics #2
R&B Lyrics #1
New Pop Lyrics #1
Hip Hop Song Lyrics #1
New Rock Lyrics #1
etc....

Congratulations on our site. I think your sitting on untapped oil, but thats your business. Good luck.

Thanks for the compliment. I look forward to doing much more with my website in the future. Sell Advertising, Mailing Lists, T-Shirts.. sell more albums, have a few employees etc.. It will all happen slowly but surely.

Suff
06-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Hmm.. since you put it that way... maybe I was reading it wrong. lol Forgive me mr. suff

SEO program? You're talking about Search Engine Optimization? My rankings on google and yahoo are awesome.

Indeed they are. I incorrectly assumed because you had no significant ads that you were'nt actively SEO'ing.

Those are terrific organic results. Those search strings don't generate to many sponsered results so they abslotutey raises your Click through rates.

I think you know that your demographic can be cross marketed easily to Clothing, jewerly, online games, DVD games ,even auto's (big Internet seller).

Suff
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
btw, You alphabetical links by artist were giving me problems. the links were randomly corrupted. With F, J, K and M being defaulted to page not found, Frequently.