PDA

View Full Version : It's Official! Heat vs Mavs who you got?

StartedAt18
06-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Me personally, I think the mavs will destroy the heat in 5 games. They will outscore the Heat in every game. Also.. when it comes down to the wire, it's going to be all about free throws and the mavs shoot over 80%. All you gotta to in put the Hack-A-Shaq in play, and the game is over.

JohnNUtah
06-04-2006, 12:10 AM
If you think the Mavs outscore them in every game, how can it possibly go 5???

JustRalph
06-04-2006, 12:17 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kingfin66
06-04-2006, 02:01 AM

A fair question!

Zaf
06-04-2006, 02:02 AM
I'm with Shaq :jump:

Z

kenwoodallpromos
06-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Shaq is on more than off nowadays, so hot Heat in 7!

Sailwolf
06-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Shaq is on more than off nowadays, so hot Heat in 7!

Any Laker fan will want Mavs in 4.:lol:

StartedAt18
06-04-2006, 05:18 AM

lol ok ok you got me there.. goodness. I'm saying though, the mavs will score over 100 every game, can the heat keep up? I don't think so. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a sweep.

sq764
06-04-2006, 09:44 AM
I only hope it goes in a sweep so that is the minimum number of NBA games left that anyone has to endure on tv for a few months.

I cannot decide which is more boring anymore - NBA, NHL or WNBA

Me personally, I think the mavs will destroy the heat in 5 games. They will outscore the Heat in every game. Also.. when it comes down to the wire, it's going to be all about free throws and the mavs shoot over 80%. All you gotta to in put the Hack-A-Shaq in play, and the game is over.

JohnNUtah
06-04-2006, 10:21 AM
The conference finals were both great series, look forward to this being a good one as well. Not sure at all who will win this, l Iike both of these teams.

chickenhead
06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Heat are the better half court team on both ends of the court. Heat in 6.

toetoe
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Mavericks. If Don Nelson were still coaching, I'd take the Heat, so to speak; but he wouldn't get them this far, anyway. :D

Snag
06-06-2006, 06:35 PM
The Heat, and I live in Texas.

Final game playoff experience. The Heat has it with the Pat and Shaq show. The little General is the Mavs only experienced person.

But, GO MAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!

dav4463
06-07-2006, 06:54 AM
I still think the Spurs are better than both of the teams ! Spurs just caught a lot of bad breaks in the seven game series with the Mavericks. They could have easily been going for a repeat championship. That being said, I kind of would like to see the Heat win, but I think the Mavs take it in six.

Hosshead
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Ever since Kobe thought he was too good to play with Shaq, I've been a Heat fan.
There's a lot of Heat fans here in L.A., especially with Pat Riley.
As Chick Hearn used to say, "Riley's Workin The Wrigley".

Valuist
06-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I'll take Dallas. They're more battle tested. Going thru Memphis, San Antonio and Phoenix is tougher than going thru Chicago, New Jersey and Detroit.

melman
06-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I watch no NBA regular season games but the playoffs do get my attention. The finals this year have been strange. Dallas the first two games and for 3 quarters of the 3rd game looked to be the much better team. Then the great young player DWade just took over the last quarter of game 3. Game 4 was all Heat as Wade just looked like another Jordan, Bird, Johnson, type of "take over the game" player. I played basketball and was pretty good at it but I sure do not understand how the officials come up with the rules in todays game. What is traveling or palming the ball?? Seems sometimes they call it most of the time they do not. And the differance between a foul a flagrant foul 1 and a flagrant foul 2 is a complete mystery to me. :confused: Dallas will be hurt in game 5 as Jerry Stackhouse was suspended from the game for a flagrant foul2 in the last game.

chickenhead
06-17-2006, 12:22 PM
The Mavs looked unbeatable after the first two games, their quickness was causing all sorts of problems for the Heat.

Their zone causes a lot of problems for the Heat also, who really lack outside shooting more than I thought. So long as the Heat can keep the Mavs from shooting a high percentage they will be ok as it keeps the mavs out of the zone, but if they let the Mavs get set too often they are in trouble.

Still hoping the Heat can get it done at home and go back to dallas needing only a split to win.

kenwoodallpromos
06-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I do not watch much either, but it looks likes to me Dallas is playing tackle football.

dav4463
06-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Why I hope Miami wins: Two words : Mark Cuban

I cannot stand the guy. He spent the last few years sending in tapes to the league complaining about the officiating. He goes into the team's huddle during games, he has been in trouble for going after officials on the court. He is a trash-talker and that is not the way an owner should act in my opinion.
His constant griping and crying helped to get the rules changed. Teams that won championships by playing tough, hard-nosed defense.....Spurs and Pistons...can no longer play the style of ball that they perfected to win championships because of Cuban and the NBA changing rules to protect offensive players.

I guess Cuban's philosophy was: if we can't beat San Antonio playing the way the rules are now, then I will use my billions of $$$$ and influence to change the rules to benefit teams like us who do not play tough defense. To his credit, it worked.

But is it really more entertaining basketball? I don't think so. Guys like Bruce Bowen who worked their butts off to play defense and stop big offensive superstars now have effectively been pretty much stopped. One small hand-check....and here comes the whistle.

It is no coincidence that Dirk Nowitski just broke Michael Jordan's record for free throws in a playoff run. He shot 24 in one game vs. Spurs and the team shot 50 ! He's been to the line four times to tie or win the game in this Maverick playoff run IN THE FINAL 10 SECONDS OF A GAME. Referees used to swallow the whistle in this situation unless the foul was obvious and had to be called. Fans, players, and referees prefer to see the game decided by the players, not the refs and free throws, especially in the last few seconds of a game.

Can anyone honestly tell me that Dirk Nowitski, with his style of game, should be shooting more free throws per game than Michael Jordan? Jordan was also protected, but he also knew how to draw fouls with his incredible offensive ability.

Cuban went on Letterman and bragged about all the fines he has had to pay. That sets a great example to the youth. It teaches them no respect for authority and that breaking the rules is OK if you have billions of $$$$.
He also bragged how Dallas is going to party when they win. If they lose, it would be funny to see him eat his words.

Phil Jackson may have been right when he said the referees were intimidated by Cuban and were afraid to make too many calls against Dallas especially at home, because they are afraid of the tapes Cuban will send in to the league office.

Also, Dallas's Jason Terry was suspended for punching Michael Finley in the privates. Last year, it was a Stackhouse flagrant foul that injured Joe Johnson of Phoenix and this year Stackhouse makes absolutely no play on the ball...comes in like a cornerback and levels Shaq while he is in a vulnerable position. He could have injured him really bad. The suspension was warranted. This team has a history.

chickenhead
06-18-2006, 10:32 AM
you must have noticed then (hard not to) when Miami was called for something like 10 straight offensive fouls in the last game? It was absolutely ridiculous!

I didn't think too much about the Cuban effect, but you are probably right.

Snag
06-18-2006, 10:49 AM
dav4463, do you really think Cuban told the league to change the rules and they just did it? Get real. There were other votes from a number of other owners that voted to change the rules too. Your logic doesn't work.

What did you mean about the team having a "history". You only mentioned two players. How many suspensions were there in the league this year? Seems to me you are rather short sited in the positions you are taking.

dav4463
06-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Cuban was very influential in getting the rules changed. He said so on Letterman. The league was definitely concerned about low ratings while the Pistons and Spurs used a defensive style that won championships, but produced what the public considered boring games. I myself, enjoy a hard-fought 85-82 type game, but the public prefers the higher scoring wide-open games. Ratings talk. Funny though, the ratings aren't any better this year than the last two years.

As for the Mavs history, Jason Terry was suspended for elbows or punches on four other occasions before he became a Maverick. Stackhouse has had a big flagrant foul now two years in a row. What does it take to get a reputation for cheap shots? Do it next year too ?

Cuban has been fined more than any owner in history. Are the Mav fans proud of that behavior?

Snag
06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Cuban has been fined more than any owner in history. Are the Mav fans proud of that behavior?

I have no way of knowing what the other fans are proud of or not. All I know is that Cuban has the balls and the money to back up what he feels is correct. I only wish my boss would have the same some times.

My feeling is that any time the league can over rule the offical on the floor, a 1 vs the league 2 is a big difference. Regardless of Cuban, if I were an offical on the floor in that game, I would have a hard time with the decision on Stackhouse. The officals can't say a word.

Do you really think that an owners action or comments effects the play on the court? Your comments..."Phil Jackson may have been right when he said the referees were intimidated by Cuban and were afraid to make too many calls against Dallas especially at home, because they are afraid of the tapes Cuban will send in to the league office." What shows the referees were intimidated? They made a 1 call which was correct. If they were intimidated don't you think they would have called a 2 on that play?

Ok, lets see if the teams make a difference in the series or the officals or the league.

dav4463
06-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Cuban's own words were that he wants a league where the LeBron James' and Dirk Nowitski's can drive to the basket without being handchecked on the perimeter or bumped on the way to the basket...a more wide-open game.

Tonight: looks like it came back to bite him in the butt! Dwayne Wade...bailed out on a touch foul by Dirk (hand on the back) to hit the game-winning free throws....

Cuban said Spurs were whiners when the Mavericks beat them and the Mavs shot 50 free throws and Dirk shot 24, including two big ones with 8 seconds left.

Tonight, Heat shoot 49 free throws, Wade shoots 25, and the Mavericks owner is whining on the post-game interviews about the calls.

Those stats are eerily similar aren't they? Just this time they went against the Mavericks. I guess now, they know how the Spurs felt.

dav4463
06-19-2006, 04:33 AM
After the game, Dirk Nowitski kicked the ball into the stands and tore up an exercise bike. Mark Cuban ran onto the floor......yawn, yawn, once again......started screaming at the referee, then went over to David Stern and yelled and complained some more..... A real classy guy, huh?

Hosshead
06-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Great comeback by the Heat to win the last 3 games.
They only need 1 more win.
But they might find it impossible to win even 1 game in Dallas this series.
If they do, then more power to 'em, they deserve it.
But I would be surprised if Dallas doesn't hold serve on their home court.

Zaf
06-19-2006, 07:35 AM
And don't forget there should be a very exciting game seven tonight. Oilers vs. Canes.

Z

chickenhead
06-19-2006, 09:56 AM
Don't see how a team can employ the hack-a-shaq, and then complain the other team shot too many free throws. Take out the Shaq inflated numbers and they're much closer to even.

I hate to hear the whistle blown with 1.9 sec. left, but it does happen...thats why you need to be ahead more than 1 point. The problem for the Mavericks is they cannot stop Dwayne Wade. You can't expect to give up 15 points to a guy in every 4th quarter and win games.

C'mon HEAT!

Valuist
06-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Dallas has covered 4 of the 5 games so far. They've lost one game by 1 and another by 2 pts. Even down 3-2, I feel they've been the superior team in the series.

The UNDER is 3-2 so far and could've been 4-1 as game 5 needed OT to get over the total.

kenwoodallpromos
06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Bunch of rule-straddling babies. That is why I would like to see Heat win.
The best going for this series is they play awhile without stopping every possession.
I stopped watching BBall in the regular eason because of the jerks playing and taking 15 minutes to play the last minute of games.

JustRalph
06-19-2006, 03:40 PM
If Dallas Loses..........Cuban explodes! :D :D :lol:

dav4463
06-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Dallas has covered 4 of the 5 games so far. They've lost one game by 1 and another by 2 pts. Even down 3-2, I feel they've been the superior team in the series.

The UNDER is 3-2 so far and could've been 4-1 as game 5 needed OT to get over the total.

I think the Spurs were the superior team, but they lost to the Mavericks. Sometimes the superior team just doesn't get the job done.

JohnNUtah
06-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I want the Heat to win this, but they have a tough road ahead of them. I think the Mav's should still be favored due to the way these 2 have played in Dallas.

I think Cuban is a hoot, I can't really take him seriously. I am surprised he and Dennis Rodman never fell in love.

:lol::lol:

kenwoodallpromos
06-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Heat are the better half court team on both ends of the court. Heat in 6.
Good call!

dav4463
06-21-2006, 01:19 AM
If Dallas Loses..........Cuban explodes! :D :D :lol:

HE'S EXPLODING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dav4463
06-21-2006, 03:40 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5709610?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8297

good article before game six......and the fans were still crying after elimination.

fergie
06-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Can result in loss of momentum. IMO there were many more fouls called on Mavs than on Heat (though I have not looked at stats) and maybe that is as it should be.
A missed call on an offensive foul (Charging) and instead calling it a defensive foul can easily result in a point swing of four. A few of these in a game can cause a loss of momentum, increase frustration, etc.
I feel that it is no secret that the NBA officials and NBA officiating has no love affair with the Mavs, and perhaps thos is well-earned by Cuban.
We already have sports such as boxing, karate, hockey, football, etc., that are supposed to be physical sports, I would love to see basketball cleaned up by officiating which would bring it back to a game of finesse. Wonder how "pistol Pete" would fare in today's game?
At any rate, congrats to the Heat, Dwayne Wade, and especially to Alonzo, (I feel that his blocked shots were critical to causing Dallas to lose confidence).
Fergie

JohnNUtah
06-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Wow, I am kinda surprised. I wanted the Heat to win, but never expected Dallas to turn out to be complete punks. Those guys have been exposed. They got no toughness.

Still, a good series and I am another who seldom watches the regular season.

cj
06-21-2006, 08:24 AM
We already have sports such as boxing, karate, hockey, football, etc., that are supposed to be physical sports, I would love to see basketball cleaned up by officiating which would bring it back to a game of finesse...

If turning it back into a finesse game makes it resemble anything like the World Cup, no thanks. You can barely go 10 seconds without someone falling on the ground after the slightest brush, or even less. Many times I would swear there must be snipers in the crowd picking off players randomly. Basketball is a physical sport. Strength is an important part of the game that should not be eliminated.

JohnNUtah
06-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I agree, CJ. Already too many flop artists in the NBA. Let em crash the boards, they let Michael J and others get away with the 6-step dance to the basket without calling travelling, time to make it more real. The refereeing in the NBA is really poor, of course baseball ain't a lot better with the hokey ball/strike calls and the phantom out plays at 1st base.

Let's just say the more physical team won this time in the NBA, no doubt about that. And Mark Cuban is now officially Shaq's biotch.

headhawg
06-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Already too many flop artists in the NBA. Let em crash the boards, they let Michael J and others get away with the 6-step dance to the basket without calling travelling, time to make it more real.You must be a Jazz fan and are still reeling from the beating your team took at the hands of the Bulls during their NBA championship runs(s). Stockton was one of the biggest whiners in NBA history. He and Malone got away with murder on the court, so I think it's a bit unfair to choose MJ as your lead "violator" of officiating oversights.

I agree that officiating needs to be improved in all sports. But let's be realistic -- these guys have to make split-second decisions without the benefit of replay. It's ez for the fans to say that they blew the call after we've seen six different replays. I do think that the three most inconsistent areas are: 1) pass interference in the NFL. One time they'll throw the flag if the DB lightly brushes the receiver after five yards. The next, the receiver will get mugged and there's no call. 2) Fouls in the NBA. Pretty much the same description as pass interference. 3) The strike zone in MLB. Drastically different between umps and sometimes within the same game which is worse yet.

The funny thing about the Heat winning. The Bulls had a really good chance of eliminating them in the 1st round. They just didn't have an answer for Dwayne Wade, and I don't think that Dallas did either which is why they lost -- not the officiating. You can have your Kobes and your LeBrons, but give me the Chicago kid any day. (BTW, Chicago had targeted Wade as their first pick in the 2003 draft but Miami got him. The Bulls made the mistake of not trading up. Ugh.)

Valuist
06-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Headhawg-

That's true about the Bulls missing Wade. And if you remember back in 79, the Bulls lost the coin flip to the Lakers as they got David Greenwood (the Lakers got some guy named Magic Johnson who could play a bit). This year, I don't think there's any one player who stands out so maybe it won't make a difference between 1st and 2nd.

I guess we can't complain too much. Remember Portland HAD to get Sam Bowie.....leaving the Bulls to take a guy named Jordan.

headhawg
06-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Valuist,

I had completely forgotten about 1979. Not too much discrepancy in talent there, huh? :)

With regard to the 2003 draft, I was just hoping that lightning would strike twice. You know, a great player falling into their lap -- again. I mean Heinrich's ok, but he's no Wade.

Valuist
06-21-2006, 10:39 AM
How about this one: the Bears drafted 5th in 1998 and there were 5 players who were considered "above" the others. Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf were figured to go 1-2 (think SD missed out there??) Randy Moss was considered to be one of the 5 elite. But the Bears were scared off, as were about 15 more teams, as Moss fell to 21st.

Hinrich is good, but yeah, he is no Wade and that 2003 draft had 3 can't miss prospects (James, Anthony and Wade) so once again they were on the outside in terms of getting the game-changer.

JohnNUtah
06-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Dont make assumptions, how could you read my being a jazz fan into that post. I only moved to Utah at the start of 2005. I agree Stockton was a HOF Crybaby. Would liked to see Malone win the big one tho.

As for the Bulls "having a good chance" of eliminating them. Put down your crack pipe.

And Michael got away with more travels and fouls than anyone in NBA history, be honest about that.

I agree the refs got it tough with split second calls and no chance for instant replay in most occasions.

Still, the Heat kicked the Mav's butt and that was sweet.

Prado Can Ride
06-21-2006, 12:51 PM
HE'S EXPLODING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I think I saw at the end of that game where Cuban was clapping for the Heat after the game and shook Riley's Hand!:eek:

I guess he's mad about that fine?

headhawg
06-21-2006, 12:53 PM
As for the Bulls "having a good chance" of eliminating them. Put down your crack pipe.Next time, why don't you actually watch the games. Or perhaps you did but all that smoke in front of your tv got in the way.

cj
06-21-2006, 03:57 PM
But the Bears were scared off, as were about 15 more teams, as Moss fell to 21st.

I think they made the right decision. This guys talent is more than offset by his attitude. I'd take about ten receivers playing right now over him without thinking twice.

dav4463
06-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Cuban only stood there clapping because he knew he was on TV and he wanted to be the center of attention once again. His behavior was horrible and it carried over to the fans who showed no class and booed as the Heat accepted the trophy. Fans leaving the game were shown on channel 8, and almost all of them came out saying that they were cheated by the referees instead of giving props to the Heat.

Bottom line, when you have a 2-0 lead in a best of seven, you should not have a championship parade route published in the paper and when you have a 2-1 lead, you should not go on David Letterman and brag about how your city is going to P.A.R.T.Y......... it comes back to bite you in the end!

Great Job.....MIAMI HEAT

Hopefully you will be back to face the Spurs next season. Win or lose, you will see some classy fans and a classy team. I promise Tim Duncan will not kick a ball and hit a fan in the head or trash your exercise bike. If you happen to win, the Spurs fans will not boo you either. The owner will stay in his seat and off the court too.

JohnNUtah
06-22-2006, 04:01 AM
I think the Spurs will be in the thick of it again next year. And I concur that they are a class organization led by the very classy Tim Duncan. Just a good team year in and year out.

JohnNUtah
06-22-2006, 04:14 AM
They beat the Bulls 4-2 for the series and won the last 2 games by double digits. What were you watching? Still crying over MJ retiring? Get a dose of reality.

chickenhead
06-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Good call!

Yeah, I fed that one to you all straightup.....no wiggle room required. You can just call me the swami from now on.

dav4463
06-23-2006, 12:36 AM
People in Dallas are still complaining that they were cheated and refuse to give Miami credit for winning the series. These are the same people who complain about the referees when their 10 yr old kid loses their game. It is easy to see how kids learn not to accept responsibility and always look to blame someone. They are acting like their parents and the Mavs owner.

lsbets
06-23-2006, 01:00 AM
David- did you hear Cuban on with Galloway yesterday? He was pretty pissed the Randy said the Mavs were gutless in the last gane, but I think Randy nailed it pretty well. It was pretty obvious that the Heat wanted the win a lot more than the Mavs did, and they went and got it.

chickenhead
06-23-2006, 01:16 AM
These are the same people who complain about the referees when their 10 yr old kid loses their game.

Exactly. I made the same analogy the other day in regards to Cuban, and the worst people are always those who have never played much basketball. They can't see the whole picture, only the calls that go against them; they overlook all the questionable calls in their favor.

dav4463
06-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I heard him. It was funny. Cuban has a hard time talking his way out of the mess he made this year in the finals. I wish Galloway would have asked him if he felt stupid about going on Letterman and bragging like he did. Cuban will never admit he does anything wrong. Did you get to hear Galloway reading the parade route from the paper? That was some comical radio. He said you can go down there if you want, the parade may or may not be going on...it is in the paper though.

dav4463
06-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Exactly. I made the same analogy the other day in regards to Cuban, and the worst people are always those who have never played much basketball. They can't see the whole picture, only the calls that go against them; they overlook all the questionable calls in their favor.

I am officiating some youth basketball this weekend. I will be working in this area (Dallas). I can't wait until I am approached by a parent after I "cheat" their little darlings. My comeback is going to be......STOP BEING A MARK CUBAN !...or you sound like a Maverick fan! I normally never acknowledge the fans, but I am sure going to be tempted this weekend.