PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Batteries

Lefty
08-18-2002, 09:39 PM
The battery in my Compaq 1255 laptop refuses to hold a charge long enough to complete a day at the racebook. When it was new(about 8 mo. ago it held the charge pretty much allday)I'm talking battery not laptop, but now it doesn't and I always put it to "sleep" between uses at the racebook. Anyway damn things cost about $200. Anyone know who makes a cheaper one?
Preferably less than a $100.

superfecta
08-20-2002, 01:12 PM
Have you left your laptop on till it goes completely dead?I have some cordless tools and the batteries develop "Memory" if you don't completely discharge them every once in awhile.My suggestion,run your laptop til it goes completely dead,recharge it and do it again then recharge it again.May be a pain but if it works it can save you money.

Lefty
08-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Superfecta, thanks for suggestion but I was doing it every mo. since I've had the new battery (somewhere btween 8 mos & yr) and now don't have to cause everytime I use it at racebook it completely discharges itself in a couple of hrs and this is with putting it to "sleep" between uses there.
I just found somekind of battery on the "web" that sounds external and I use it with my battery. (not really clear but that's what the description sounded like) it said it would extend my battery 3-6 hrs. With shipping it was $83.83 and I just ordered it.
Thanks again.

Dick Schmidt
08-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Lefty and other battery users,

My dentist used to fly to Paris regularly, and wanted to use his computer for the entire 11 hour flight. What he did was get a gel cell 12 volt battery and then plug his auto adapter into it. The batteries are used in snowmobiles, burglar alarms and many other installations and come in lots of sizes, many with "cigarette lighter" 12 volt plugs already installed. He had one that would power a computer for 15 hours and then recharge overnight.

Lots of luck getting such a thing on an airplane today, but I would guess you could sneak one into a racebook.

Dick

rrbauer
08-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Lefty,
check out these guys. I've bought batteries for several different laptops from them as well as other stuff.

http://www.insight.com/web/index.php

Lefty
08-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Dick, soundslike a great idea. Keep it in mind for the future.
RR/ thanks for the link but since i've already ordered this other "deal" i'll also keep in mind for future.

G7Group
08-27-2006, 02:15 AM
For compaq laptop batteries, you can check http://www.ebuybatteries.com/product/laptop_batteries/Compaq/.