PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Sunday (8/18)

rrbauer
08-18-2002, 04:54 PM
Del Mar Sunday August 18, 2002
Dirt played fair yesterday. Rails down on the turf (which helps the late runners).

R1
Lafitt jumps on Siberland (2-1) and that looks right to me. Of the firsters, Judge Swiss (9/2) can run a little.

R2
Brownstone draws the catbird seat with the chesire cat (Eddie D) in the irons. Ride And Shine improved for Kent D. last time and needs to stay out of the parking lot off the turn. Funny feeling about Corona Classic (1st Lasix).

R3
Mr. Tufts strikes again. Ex Federali and Rapidough. Give a look at Romanzo.

R4
If speed is holding you have to catch Chapman's horse, the #1. With Baffert taking the blinks off, I think that he means business with Composure today. When Matlow puts a "name" rider up (Eddie D.) on a firster, it's a runner. But, he's been a little salty lately. Cecil's firster is going to be caught in the middle of some hot action and could back out due to that.

R5
Unlimited Value needs to lead and he will. Champ’s Star may get some speed to run at.

R6
Hello Mr. Frankel. Fully Invested and ready for a bull market!

R7
Max Power lays over this bunch but might bounce. One price to consider. Vino Rossi in the O’Neill barn.

R8
Call 911. Disturbingthepeace loves the distance. Hot Market should get the lead and if allowed to sneak in a breather…..

R9
Yesterday we had 2YO trying 7f for the first time. Today we have a group of 3YO non-winners trying 1 1/8th on the lawn. Every one of these has Beyers in the 70’s or better, except Problem Solver, who is a Nureyev from Frankel’s barn with big Tomlinson numbers stretching out from a sprint debut. Unless you’re trying to finish out the P4 or P6 here’s your chance to beat some traffic! That’s what I’m doing. Pass!

Go Baby Go.

Derek2U
08-18-2002, 05:19 PM
I'm 90% certain that the race's winner is either #4 (Kirtle) or
#9 (Riskaverse). Leaning to #4.

rrbauer
08-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Del Mar Sunday August 18, 2002
Dirt played fair yesterday. Rails down on the turf (which helps the late runners).

R1
Lafitt jumps on Siberland (2-1) and that looks right to me. Of the firsters, Judge Swiss (9/2) can run a little. Result Siberland got parked 4-deep early but kept grinding and was taking the lead into the turn. Won by a bunch. Judge Swiss raced in behind the first flight checked out of traffic to the rail and never got into the action. ‘Judge was hand-ridden thru the lane. Crackup another firster ran between horses much of the trip for a nice 2nd and wasn’t punished late.

R2
Brownstone draws the catbird seat with the chesire cat (Eddie D) in the irons. Ride And Shine improved for Kent D. last time and needs to stay out of the parking lot off the turn. Funny feeling about Corona Classic (1st Lasix). Result Bettor Royalty got loose and almost pulled it off. ‘Shine got up at the wire to get the bob. Kent kept ‘Shine out of the parking lot. Only needed the 4-path today. Fav Brownstone got parked out on the backside and lost touch by the turn. ‘Corona got pinballed at the start and lost all chance. Con Quixote was a victim of the bumping, too. (That Cool Cat broke in and wiped out the two inside of him-then got ‘Corona a second time. ‘Cat DQ’d to last.)

R3
Mr. Tufts strikes again. Ex Federali and Rapidough. Give a look at Romanzo. Result They broke 3, 4, 5 and ran around to the wire. #3 Avanzado 1st Lasix 1st in the USA and 1st in the 3rd! I noticed that it had shown speed in Argentina, but didn’t think it was fast enough to beat the best of these. Wrong! #4 F J’s Pace. #5 ‘Federali tracked and ‘dough tracked but couldn’t do better than 3rd and 4th respectively.

R4
If speed is holding you have to catch Chapman's horse, the #1. With Baffert taking the blinks off, I think that he means business with Composure today. When Matlow puts a "name" rider up (Eddie D.) on a firster, it's a runner. But, he's been a little salty lately. Cecil's firster is going to be caught in the middle of some hot action and could back out due to that. Result ‘Sweep popped and kept going. Trainer is good with sprinters. (Caller One!) Composure took a couple runs but couldn’t get up but held Point Clear off late. Same deal. They just run around the track like a circus act. Annagreta broke slow and ran slower. My apologies on that one! $6.60 for the win. Exacta $20 for a deuce.

R5
Unlimited Value needs to lead and he will. Champ’s Star may get some speed to run at. Result Had to chuckle, when just before the race started, Mike Wellman (TVG/Fox telecast) says, “Well I think St. Remy will just outquick Unlimited Value and clear.” As my buddy, Derek2U, would say, “Heh Heh!” ‘Value took care of business, ran ‘em ragged and then did a little soft shoe to the wire. In his wake: Nothin’ but tongues hanging out! Champ’s Star on for 3rd. Improved, Sing Because, was 2nd (off the claim for Puhich). $11.80 for the win on ‘Value. (Where’s Jackie Gleason when we need him?)

R6
Hello Mr. Frankel. Fully Invested and ready for a bull market! Result I think that P Val didn’t see the #1, I’m The Business. Looked like he had the leader Sea Reel measured when whoosh -- ‘Business goes by. Then ‘Invested takes off and is closing like crazy and ran out of room. Nonetheless, ‘Business ran a big one. (Nakatani riding great since coming back. Saw him interviewed on the tube yesterday and he’s lost some of his attitude too!)

R7
Max Power lays over this bunch but might bounce. One price to consider. Vino Rossi in the O’Neill barn. Result Max got some early pressure from Another Star but was clear into the turn by about 5. 1st time gelding Milk Wood (7 YO) came along late to get the win with Pedroza showing off coming to the wire. (Pedroza should use some of that energy to learn how to ride the turf course so he could be a true journeyman jock!) ‘Rossi was 4th.

R8
Call 911. Disturbingthepeace loves the distance. Hot Market should get the lead and if allowed to sneak in a breather….. Result ’peace gets ‘Market by a short head after taking up the chase at the 3/8th pole, and getting the lead at the 1/8th pole, but ‘Market would not go away. Great race! Exacta came back $10 for a deuce. Short price? Sure. But, when they make the game easy, you gotta take a short price!

R9
Yesterday we had 2YO trying 7f for the first time. Today we have a group of 3YO non-winners trying 1 1/8th on the lawn. Every one of these has Beyers in the 70’s or better, except Problem Solver, who is a Nureyev from Frankel’s barn with big Tomlinson numbers stretching out from a sprint debut. Unless you’re trying to finish out the P4 or P6 here’s your chance to beat some traffic! That’s what I’m doing. Pass! Result To be determined!

See you tomorrow!