PDA

View Full Version : Careers in Horse Racing Journalism/TV

Cesario!
06-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Hi everybody.

I've decided to try to make the transition to working within the industry, preferably with any racing-related media outlet. I have a good amount of writing experience from previous work (I was previously a lawyer) and, as is probably evident from my postings, have a tremendous passion for this game. I also have some previous television and newspaper experience.

Anyhow, I'm looking for any suggestions from those of you involved in the sport on how to get involved, i.e. how you did it, etc. I'm pretty much willing to do anything, either for a track or a private organization, so long as it's related to the sport and its coverage.

Thanks!

Seth

46zilzal
06-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I have several friends in the media: one of them won a Sovereign (like an Eclipse in U.S.) award in Canada for his television show and newspaper writing. He was a rider all over N.A. and had to retire after a serious pelvis fracture. Another fellow is a commentator for HPI (Woodbine entertainment) and his background was as a standardbred breeder and, ready for this (?), a pharmaceutical saleman.

The field is full of nepotism so you have to have some "hook" to get you in. I am near retirement and am looking into the same thing. I suggest you send whatever writings you have to the major TBred publications, magazines and local newspapers. I've been published about 5 times (Blood Horse, Backstretch, Owner-Breeder) and am still trying to break in. It is nice to get a paycheck and have your name in print however.

highnote
06-03-2006, 12:22 AM
I would attend as many racing conferences as possible and start networking. Knowing the right people helps when it comes to getting a job.

Cesario!
06-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

Sweteyjohn: Are there any particular conferences which you would suggest attending?

rrpic6
06-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Arizona University has a large symposium on Horseracing in January or February. Las Vegas also has a large seminar in January that features many Horseracing journalists. You can also try to find various websites that are looking for Handicappers to write out daily recaps and picks.

Hosshead
06-03-2006, 07:16 AM
University of Arizona (U of A) - Tucson

highnote
06-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Arizona definately good -- maybe the biggest.

Also, University of KY just had their annual Equine Law Conference in Lexington right before the KY Derby. I attended that one and it was excellent. I'm surprised it didn't get much press.

Most of the conferences are listed in industry journals. Watch for listing in Bloodhorse.

U of Louisville has a conference every other year.

Once you find out about one, you can attend and then ask the attendees about upcoming ones.

rastajenk
06-04-2006, 05:46 AM
The Arizona symposium is always in December, first or second week.

jballscalls
06-04-2006, 07:23 AM
I'll tell you what i did when i got started. I went down to the track, found the media director, and applied for the job. I started as a turfwriter at emerald downs and it was an absolute blast. Obviously the pay leaves a bit to be desired, but we dont work in this industry to get rich. I would suggest calling tracks and publicators and get a resume ready.

Cesario!
06-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks everybody for your suggestions!

Seth