PDA

View Full Version : Is Pujols a human?

sq764
06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
In my 20 years of watching baseball, I have seen, IMO, some great hitters.. I always thought Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs and Kirby Puckett were 3 of the most pure hitters I have ever seen in my lifetime..

BUT.. I watch Albert Pujols in awe, period.. This guy, barring injury, may end up being the greatest offensive force to ever play the game. I think we are seeing one of the best hitters of all time right now. I have never seen a guy who can hit almost any pitch anywhere at any time..

Granted, I have never see Teddy W play, or Mantle or Mays so I cannot compare him to them..

OTM Al
06-01-2006, 12:47 PM
He is a great player at the peak of his game to be sure. Just waiting for opponents to stop pitching to him. Surprised it hasn't happened yet

sq764
06-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Isn't it amazing that teams still intentionally walk Bonds and he can barely walk to first, but they insist on pitching to Pujols..

JustRalph
06-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Isn't it amazing that teams still intentionally walk Bonds and he can barely walk to first, but they insist on pitching to Pujols..

I bet that doesn't happen for long. This guy is on pace to get over 200 RBI's

chickenhead
06-01-2006, 03:05 PM

No doubt. There should be some sort of IQ requirement to be a ML manager (like above 50).

sq764
06-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Well that rules out our two managers - Manuel and Randolph

No doubt. There should be some sort of IQ requirement to be a ML manager (like above 50).

Valuist
06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Boggs and Gwynn might've been able to hit for a better average but have nowhere near Pujols' power. Same with Rod Carew, who I consider every bit as pure a hitter as Boggs and/or Gwynn. But if those guys tried to hit for power, how many BA points would they sacrifice?

Pujols might be the best RH hitter ever.

kingfin66
06-02-2006, 01:57 AM
There is a nice story about him in last weeks Sports Illustrated. Natural ability + hard work = One heckuva a great hitter. He is also playing excellent defense at 1B after playing several positions in his first fews years. To top it all off, he seems like a good guy off the field.

melman
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
For a big power hitter another amazing thing about Albert is how very very little he strikes out. Check those stats they are amazing for a man with that kind of power hitting ability. BTW he also steals bases and does not get thrown out.

sq764
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
And I heard him being interviewed the other night and get this, the guy speaks fluent ENGLISH!!!

As much as I love to hear Sammy Sosa exclaiming that "Life has been berry berry good to him", it's nice to hear of a foreign player take the time to get educated and learn the language..

So he's got another intangible in my book..

There is a nice story about him in last weeks Sports Illustrated. Natural ability + hard work = One heckuva a great hitter. He is also playing excellent defense at 1B after playing several positions in his first fews years. To top it all off, he seems like a good guy off the field.

StartedAt18
06-02-2006, 09:51 AM

If you walk Pujols with runners in scoring position, you got Scott Rolen & Jim Edmonds coming up next. Both those players can knock some serious runs in. Now Bonds? He's got nobody covering him. Jason Ellison? lol, Ray Durham?, Steve Finley? Those players don't even bat over .270. Moises Alou is on the DL but he bats 3rd in the lineup. I think it makes sense to walk Bonds. It's almost like walking the Catcher batting 8th and pitching to the Pitcher batting 9th, much easier out.

sq764
06-02-2006, 10:53 AM
If you walk Pujols with runners in scoring position, you got Scott Rolen & Jim Edmonds coming up next. Both those players can knock some serious runs in. Now Bonds? He's got nobody covering him. Jason Ellison? lol, Ray Durham?, Steve Finley? Those players don't even bat over .270. Moises Alou is on the DL but he bats 3rd in the lineup. I think it makes sense to walk Bonds. It's almost like walking the Catcher batting 8th and pitching to the Pitcher batting 9th, much easier out.

Well I don't think Edmonds is scaring anyone this year with his .241 average.. I'd still take my chances with him any day and twice on Sundays..

Alou getting hurt killed Bonds and possibly will be the main factor he never breaks Aaron's record.. (Although I have my own theories on why he never wanted to break it anyway..)

Valuist
06-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Sq-

How long is Rowand out? When the White Sox and Phillies made that trade, I couldn't believe the Sox would trade a guy who can field, run, hit, and hit w/a little power for an over the hill 35 YO power hitter. I guess Thome isn't over the hill yet.

StartedAt18
06-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Sq-

How long is Rowand out? When the White Sox and Phillies made that trade, I couldn't believe the Sox would trade a guy who can field, run, hit, and hit w/a little power for an over the hill 35 YO power hitter. I guess Thome isn't over the hill yet.

He's been back from the 15 day DL since May 27th

Thome is kicking ass 295AVG. 20HR 52RBI

sq764
06-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Sq-

Rowand was back as of last Sunday.. I think the trade was great for both teams.. Phils got a very good centerfielder who will literally run through walls.. AND they got to put Ryan Howard as a fulltime player and he's been fantastic this year.. Thome has been great for the Sox and I am glad to see it... He is one of the good guys in baseball..

All in all, I hated to see Thome go, but it had to happen and it's worked out great for both teams

sq764
06-02-2006, 11:33 AM
He's been back from the 15 day DL since May 27th

Thome is kicking ass 295AVG. 20HR 52RBI
Yeah, that hurts to have missed that, but when you see Ryan Howard at .296/18/47, it lessens the burden a bit..

StartedAt18
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Damn, he's on all my fantasy leagues lol. I hate to see him get injured. It looks like he's going to miss some significant time.

06/03/2006 9:12 PM ET
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060603&content_id=1485940&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl

sq764
06-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I agree.. So I guess the overall answer to my initial question is yes, he is human :-)

Damn, he's on all my fantasy leagues lol. I hate to see him get injured. It looks like he's going to miss some significant time.

06/03/2006 9:12 PM ET
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060603&content_id=1485940&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl