PDA

View Full Version : Announcer's Call of DQ at Evangeline Downs

Jeff P
05-28-2006, 12:45 AM
For some reason tonight - don't ask me why - I promise it won't happen again anytime soon - I decided to the play the card at Evangeline Downs.

In R8 I made a bet on the #10 horse JOES PROSPECT. After being loaded into the gate he reared up and tossed ST JULIEN out the back of the gate. Great. They back him out. The rest of the field waits while the state vet takes a look at him. For some reason I can't help but think of last Saturday's Preakness. Some sixth sense about gate mishaps and bad outcomes screams at me to cancel my bet and just watch. After watching for a couple of seconds that's exactly what I decide to do. Unfortunately I ran out of time. ST JULIEN was back aboard JOES PROSPECT and back in the gate and they were off faster than I could punch the right keys.

During the running of the race JOES PROSPECT broke well and made the lead rather easily from his outside post. I let out a sigh of relief about not being able to cancel the bet. ST JULIEN is a guy who understands the game and knows how to get a horse to relax on the front end. And that's exactly what I watch him do. Going into the far turn the #7 horse moves alongside my horse. Instead of letting it out a notch ST JULIEN gives JOES PROSPECT a breather and takes back just a bit. I smile knowingly. ST JULIEN is a patient rider and will have something left turning for home.

But there's also something karma wise in racing that ties gate mishaps to bad outcomes.

#7 MADDIS SUN AVENUE cuts in front of my horse and takes his path. Of course my horse clips heels and falls. I see it. I'm sure anybody and everybody watching sees it. During the call of the race the track announcer makes no mention of it. He just keeps droning on in his monotone and tells us that #7 MADDIS SUN AVENUE is the new leader.

#7 MADDIS SUN AVENUE eventually finishes second. The stewards flash the Inquiry Sign. Several minutes later the announcer tells us "#7 MADDIS SUN AVENUE has been disqualified for interference and placed ninth."

Now, here's where it get's interesting and the two reasons I'm posting...

After the race replay they show video of the foul. And the announcer gives us the stewards ruling. He says - and I quote: "Entering the far turn, #7 MADDIS SUN AVENUE will cut in front of #10 JOES PROSPECT causing the rider to take up and lose valuable ground." I kid you not. The guy actually said this while video was playing that very clearly showed JOES PROSPECT clipping heels and falling.

Ok. That's the first one.

Now, here's the second one. I just looked at the chart. It echoes what the announcer said. It says "MADDIS SUN AVENUE was disqualified and placed ninth for causing interference..."

I see just one problem with this. A head count of the horses reveals that it's a field of 10.

Please. Somebody slap me - no wait - PUNCH ME - if I even think about playing an Evangeline card ever again.

I didn't realize the product was THAT bad. Now I know.

-jp

AwolAtPA
05-28-2006, 01:22 AM
I just checked the chart and I agree that 'last' was 9th

because, as you noted, ST JULIEN fell and was a DNF

so, for the DQ to be tenth would have been after the DNF.

apparently your logic was clouded by your frustration.

and, I agree, trouble at the gate and cancel the bet.

awol

AwolAtPA
05-28-2006, 01:35 AM
well my edit time expired.

JOES PROSPECT was the horse

ST JULIEN was the jockey

yep, been a bad day.

Jeff P
05-28-2006, 02:28 AM
That's right. They disqualified Maddis Sun Avenue from second and placed him IN FRONT OF the horse that he fouled.

-jp

cj
05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
For some reason tonight - don't ask me why - I promise it won't happen again anytime soon - I decided to the play the card at Evangeline Downs.

I know you are a sharp guy, so I am very glad to here you won't be playing EvD! :)

shanta
05-28-2006, 07:34 AM
I know you are a sharp guy, so I am very glad to here you won't be playing EvD! :)

Me too!
Richie :)

Zman179
05-28-2006, 09:15 AM
In regards to DQ's like that, the horse was placed last. Even though there were 10 horses in the race, and only 9 of them finished, he can only be placed behind the last horse to cross the line. A horse that has fallen cannot get up, wait for the jockey to remount, then come across the wire 10th so that the offending horse can be placed behind him. This is not simply unique to tracks like Evangeline.

In cases of a short field (say 5 purse places available to 6 horses,) the stewards do have the discretion to DQ the offending horse and declare him to be "unplaced," and then award the faller the 5th place purse. Since 9th place doesn't pay anymore than finishing in 10th, the EvD placing question actually becomes moot.

Tom
05-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Yerah, you sharp guys - stay out of Evd...it is bad juju! :eek:

Endless
Virtual
Dollars

:lol:

Jeff P
05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
In regards to DQ's like that, the horse was placed last. Even though there were 10 horses in the race, and only 9 of them finished, he can only be placed behind the last horse to cross the line. A horse that has fallen cannot get up, wait for the jockey to remount, then come across the wire 10th so that the offending horse can be placed behind him. This is not simply unique to tracks like Evangeline.

In cases of a short field (say 5 purse places available to 6 horses,) the stewards do have the discretion to DQ the offending horse and declare him to be "unplaced," and then award the faller the 5th place purse. Since 9th place doesn't pay anymore than finishing in 10th, the EvD placing question actually becomes moot. I agree, the difference between a 9th and 10th place finish makes it moot pont.

It's not that I don't think I can get an edge there. I'm pretty sure that I can. I guess I'm really making subjective judgements about what I saw last night and comparing it to what I'm used to seeing take place everywhere else. I've played all kinds of races at tracks everywhere - from AQU BEL to SAR to KEE (steeplechase too) DMR HOL SA GP CRC TAM HAW AP GG BM WO FG LAD LS CD ELP TP TUP EMD - to tiny 2 and 3 day county fair meets in Northern AZ - and yes, even HOU and MNR - and truth be told I've thoroughly enjoyed each for what it is. But what I saw last night - not just the announcer's description of the foul - I saw a lot of unfit horses and some sore ones too and lots of rides that I thought were ...um questionable - and the whole of it made something click inside that gave me enough pause to stop and question the quality of what I was watching. I never thought I would say this but I've finally found a track even I won't play.

-jp

Zman179
05-28-2006, 01:45 PM
I agree, the difference between a 9th and 10th place finish makes it moot pont.

It's not that I don't think I can get an edge there. I'm pretty sure that I can. I guess I'm really making subjective judgements about what I saw last night and comparing it to what I'm used to seeing take place everywhere else. I've played all kinds of races at tracks everywhere - from AQU BEL to SAR to KEE (steeplechase too) DMR HOL SA GP CRC TAM HAW AP GG BM WO FG LAD LS CD ELP TP TUP EMD - to tiny 2 and 3 day county fair meets in Northern AZ - and yes, even HOU and MNR - and truth be told I've thoroughly enjoyed each for what it is. But what I saw last night - not just the announcer's description of the foul - I saw a lot of unfit horses and some sore ones too and lots of rides that I thought were ...um questionable - and the whole of it made something click inside that gave me enough pause to stop and question the quality of what I was watching. I never thought I would say this but I've finally found a track even I won't play.

-jp

Over the years, there have been many arrests and suspensions at Evangeline and Delta Downs as a result of race fixing. Playing those two tracks is akin to betting on three-card monte with saddles. Believe me, EvD is not on top of my list of tracks to bet on.

bigmack
05-28-2006, 01:57 PM
I've cashed some monster tickets down there grabbing a handful. To try and handicap this wackfest is futile. Sniffing out a price hitting the top two on the board and having them on an ex ticket can yield large payouts.

schweitz
05-28-2006, 02:50 PM
I have been playing Evangeline for years---one of my most profitable tracks. It helps to have been playing it for a long time---you get a feel for some of the smaller trainers and what they are capable of ;) .
Will be attending this wednesday night---first visit since they moved the track up the road.

46zilzal
05-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Over the years, there have been many arrests and suspensions at Evangeline and Delta Downs as a result of race fixing. Playing those two tracks is akin to betting on three-card monte with saddles. Believe me, EvD is not on top of my list of tracks to bet on.
I was there in 1970 and bet a maiden race. The ONLY speed in the race broke on top, hugged the rail and won as the rider pleased. Objection went up and it was DQ'd to third on some PHAMTOM interference that never showed up on a single view of the contest. Wallet stayed closed the entire night long after that debacle but found a ten spot on the floor later that eased the pain.

JustRalph
05-29-2006, 01:33 AM
killed them for a week a year or so back. Can't pick a winner there since.........it is a weird place..............

mikeb
05-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Me too!
Richie :)

Me Three!!!!!:)