PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Stakes Snapshot

DerbyTrail
05-27-2006, 09:24 AM
SATURDAY KICKS OFF RACING'S SUMMER SEASON

Saturday marks the start of the traditional kickoff to summer's racing, and the big Memorial Day stakes. Though Belmont's Sheepshead Bay (Gr. II) and Arlington's Hanshin Cup (Gr. III) are the only graded races today, quality listed stakes at Monmouth, Delaware and Churchill also highlight the action...

BEL 8th: Sheepshead Bay (Gr. II), $150,000, 11f-IT, F&M 3+

1. #1 HONEY RIDER (2-1): Pletcher 5yo padding stats with plethora of stakes wins past 12+ months. Adjusts to any scenario and doesn't mind it soft. Imposing.

2. #3 LATICE (9-2): Sheppard miss stretches out in 2nd start since 5 month break. Relished heavy sod in France; just missed versus top one in '05 E.P. Taylor.

A. #7 SERENDIPITOUS (20-1): Inclined to include Bond bay by Pleasant Tap for value as she scored on yielding loam at 3 and has been respectable in BEL graded company previously.

B. #5 ASI SIEMPRE (3-1): Biancone grey has done little wrong in 4 U.S. tries, annexing Gr. III Valley View (yl) and placing behind Wend (Jenny Wiley-Gr. II) and Olaya (Garden City BC-Gr. I) since last fall. Removes goggles and keeps Leparoux.

MTH 10th: Frisk Me Now (L), $65,000, 1m-70y, 3+

1. #2 PARK AVENUE BALL (7-2): Ryerson stalwart for M/M Hesse rarely runs a bad one and is never off board at shore (5/3-1-1).

2. #4 YOUR BLUFFING (9-2): My man Trombetta sends Laurel Terror north after blah efforts at AQU/DEL. Gets new pilot in Fast Eddie who should suit this 6yo gelding.

A. #11 SUNSHINE STALKER (15-1): Inviting tab on capable Jenkins (19%) gelding who has run badly just once in 8 career tries. Post an obvious hurdle.

B. #8 AUGURI (10-1): Artax waters were too deep for Argentian from Showing Up connections, but that team scored at BEL, and 5yo may forget to stop here.

DEL 8th: Go For Wand (L), $100,000, 8.5f, 3yo fillies

1. #5 LADY OF CLARE (12-1): Taking shot with Gorham trainee that may just be a Pimlico lover or has really turned corner. One of three here that has beaten elder and she's demolished last pair of fields by combined 18 lengths steretching past 8f. 12-1? That's us!

2. #6 AMANDATUDE (5-1): Ritchey Aptitude bay is never out exacta in 6 DEL tries and has tactical foot. Shows incremental fig progress and topped similar event last.

A. #7 UNBRIDLED BELLE (6-1): Ramon cruised when last paired with this Pletcher trainee and hard to pass up generous tote on any Todd trotter.

B. #2 DIAMOND SPIRIT (9-5): Mr. Jerkens' Holy Bull fave looks eminently beatable to us despite pair of Gr,. II placements on display.

LONGSHOT: #8 ELLIOT'S EXCHANGE (15-1) will be lost on the board and is a reasonable include on deep exotic ticks...

CD 10th: Winning Colors (L), $100,000, 6f, F&M 3+

1. #1 EVER ELUSIVE (4-1): Willing to key Madison (Gr. III) show pony with addition of Bejarano.

2. #4 HOT STORM (5-2): Hard to fault Stewart's nice bay in midst of 5 race skien.

A. #2 ATLAS VALLEY (5-1): 21% Wilkes turns back Capote 4yo off OK 4th in Humana Distaff on Derby Day. Spotty record on view but has always kept good company.

B. #5 REUNITED (2-1): Off the board once career and 4/3-0-1 at trip, Howard-Farish feline has been working gangbusters and sprinters are always playable off layoffs.

AP 8th: Hanshin Cup H. (Gr. III), $100,000, 1m

1. #1 FIFTEEN ROUNDS (5-2): Fit to Fight gelding from our friend Christine Jenks has nabbed 7 of last 10 and is 8 of 11 in Chi-town burbs. Flying in the a.m. for graded debut.

2. #3 GOULDINGS GREEN (9-5): Admit Reinstedler red will be tough, but with top choice as lone speed, he may not get set up he wants.

3. #4 THREE HOUR NAP (5-1): Pleased to get 5-1 on 5/4-0-1 Arlington bay from savvy Robertson.

Enjoy the day!!
Steve

bettheoverlay
05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
10th @ CD is an interesting race even if it proves chalky. #4 Hot Storm's best Figs (Bris) have not come in her off the layoff races, and #5 Reunited has been away 6 months. Which leads me to look for value elsewhere.

#6 Flying Falcon is one of those freaky multi-length KEE winners who gets a huge fig but can she duplicate at CD? The #2 Atlas Valley has never raced at 6F in 16 starts. Your #1 Ever Elusive looks like the most probable winner to me as well.

But the #8 Ebony Breeze keeps jumping out at me as a potential upsetter. A nice turf race at 5 1/2 furlongs, 1/3 at CD, 7/18 at the distance, and some good figs last year as a 5yo. Whether she can reach those at 6yo is the question. Mott has been cold but I'll key her in tris, 1st 2nd and 3rd with the 1,2 4.

Bathless
05-27-2006, 12:30 PM
DEL R8 - GO FOR WAND Stakes

#8 ELIOTT'S EXCHANGE(15/1ML) appears capable of hanging with these figure-wise, takes the BLINKERS OFF, and goes 2-turns for the first time since last season. It's something of a hidden stretch-out for a barn pretty fair taking them a bit longer. Filly has lots of upside.

MTH R10 - FRISK ME NOW Stakes

#1 CONTANTE (10/1ML) - Argentine-bred kept good company in FLA. Stan Hough has won 9 of 18 Stakes (most of them overnights) over the last 2 seasons at MTH. The reward appears worth the risk. Maragh rides.

DerbyTrail
05-27-2006, 03:40 PM
DEL R8 - GO FOR WAND Stakes

#8 ELIOTT'S EXCHANGE(15/1ML) appears capable of hanging with these figure-wise, takes the BLINKERS OFF, and goes 2-turns for the first time since last season. It's something of a hidden stretch-out for a barn pretty fair taking them a bit longer. Filly has lots of upside.

MTH R10 - FRISK ME NOW Stakes

#1 CONTANTE (10/1ML) - Argentine-bred kept good company in FLA. Stan Hough has won 9 of 18 Stakes (most of them overnights) over the last 2 seasons at MTH. The reward appears worth the risk. Maragh rides.

Bath..

Had a hard time leaving "EL EX" out of the top tabs too! CONTANTE was perhaps my largest key play all winter in the race with Sir Greeley and then after that the GPBCH.. I am still not over the brutal Bridgmohan effort that day... Concerned he's over the top right now...

bigmack
05-27-2006, 05:53 PM
That was nice. Thanks for the work in doing that Steve.

Just so you know there are some puddin' heads that demand you make a selection as they're incapable of forming their own.

Keep up the great work. Thanks again.

Bathless
05-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Bath..
Had a hard time leaving "EL EX" out of the top tabs too!

Even with Contessa's scratch, I wanted 9/1. With 10 mins to post, EL EX was actually the 2nd betting choice at 3/1. She drifted up to 9/1, but I passed, having already had my head handed to me in 2 earlier races. Truth be told, she wasn't ready to hang with these -- not yet, anyway.

CONTANTE was perhaps my largest key play all winter in the race with Sir Greeley and then after that the GPBCH.. I am still not over the brutal Bridgmohan effort that day... Concerned he's over the top right now...

Hough might agree with you. He scratched him and I don't think it was because he feared PARK AVENUE BALL. Ed Broome sure didn't. Hough is deadly in the minor MTH Stakes, though. Mostly chalk, but last year, one of them paid $18-19.