PDA

View Full Version : Hill Street Blues

melman
05-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Was my favorite of the old TV shows. They now have season 1 and 2 out on DVD. Anyone who was a fan of that great show this is your "heads up" And remember "let's be careful out there". LOL Also Victoria Hamel in the bathtub is a nice highlight. :jump:

andicap
05-27-2006, 08:58 AM
shut up you dirtball!

Gary Geigercounter
05-27-2006, 09:20 AM
... LOL Also Victoria Hamel in the bathtub is a nice highlight. :jump:

I thought that it was Veronica Hamel. There was an actress named Victoria Principal on Dallas around that same timeframe.

melman
05-27-2006, 09:54 AM
My mistake in typing of course you are correct Gary. And as for you Andicap you hair ball. :jump: Belker had an "unusal" diet also. LOL

Dave Schwartz
05-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Melman,

And later on, towards the end of the series, my favorite character of all:

Vic Hitler, the Narcoleptic Comic. Remember that? SImply hysterical.

Dave

melman
05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Dave I see you were a fan of the show also. Think Grace Gardner was an "interesting" part of the show. :jump: Were you ever in her apartment before she met the Sgt??? :lol: Strange dogs, leather sheets yes quite an interesting woman. :)

Dave Schwartz
05-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I don't remember Grace Gardner... was she the female cop who (I think) came from being a meter maid?

Okay, how about this episode...

Fay Furrillo had car trouble and a rookie cop stopped to help her. She asked him if he would "give her a jump" and he brings her in for solicitation.

They are standing in front of the desk sergeant and the conversation goes something like this:

Desk sergeant: "Good morning Mrs. Furillo."

Fay: "Good morning sergeant."

Desk sergeant: "Why are you here."

Rookie: "I picked her up for soliciting."

Desk sergeant: "What?"

Rookie continues to tell his story, which is all about him misunderstanding Fay's words (but he doesn't know that yet). Fay has a strange smile on her face, the desk sergeant has a look of impending doom and a short hispanic perp is standing next to the whole thing listening.

Little Perp: (to the rookie) "Oh, are you are standing in the big doggie's business."

melman
05-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Dave so many funny laugh out loud little "aside" stories on that show. Grace was the widow of a cop and she had "needs" a lot of needs. LOL Sgt Phil and her were quite close. She introduced the good Sgt to several nudist colonies. :jump: Belker's "co-star" for a few episodes was a chimp and would assit him in writing up reports. :lol: Get the DVD's Dave you and the Mrs will enjoy big time.

Tom
05-27-2006, 01:12 PM
One of the best series ever!
The origin of Sipowitz, from NYPD Blue - what was his name in HSB?

Dave Schwartz
05-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Tom,

I don't know that there was a Sipowitz-like character on the show. The story lines were constantly shifting. For awhile you'd get a look into the life of one or two officers (usually partners) then it would switch to another.

I actually came in after it had been on for a year or two.

Dave

banacek
05-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Boy, that bring back memories. I seem to remember Victoria Hamel calling Daniel J. "Pizzaman" and he would occasionally head home for "nooners". I forgot how much I liked that show.

I'll have to pick it up (and I was just remarking to my wife this morning that there was an ad in the paper for the entire 1st season of "Joey" now out on DVD. Do people really buy that stuff?!)

Steve 'StatMan'
05-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Tom,

I don't know that there was a Sipowitz-like character on the show. The story lines were constantly shifting. For awhile you'd get a look into the life of one or two officers (usually partners) then it would switch to another.

I actually came in after it had been on for a year or two.

Dave

Sgt. Buntz, also played by Dennis Franz. Similar character. Gave him his big T.V. break. Had a brief spinoff "Beverly Hills Buntz".

Tom
05-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Buntz! Thanks, Steve...that's him - in the later shows - I think he was the last character on screen in the last show - walking thorugh the burned out station house - preparing him for his spin off show.

andicap
05-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Vic Hitler ! Man, Dave, I was just about the mention him! :lol: How about J.D.'s "Saloondrmat?" He always had a scam going.

I think that show kind of jumped the shark after Conrad died although Buntz was a great charactor with Sid the Snitch. Most of the newer charactors just weren't as good as the originals and Conrad really kept the show together..
But the first two-three seasons was the best dramatic TV until the Sopranos.

Littke known fact: Hill (Michael Warren) was supposed to die after getting shot in the pilot, but his charactor proved so popular they kept him alive.

Dennis Franz was one of the few who had another hit show after HSB (which was never very popular in the Nielsens. NBC kept it on because they didn't have much else back then and then it kept winning Emmys. Those were the Golden Years of Grant Tinker and Brandon Tartikoff.)

I think Hamel and Travanti had a bunch of made for TV movies and Charles Haid (Renko) became a successful TV director. The guy who played Howard the Swat guy was a long-time charactor actor who has always worked. Betty Thomas, (Lucy Bates) became a director too and. Barbara Babcock -- Grace Gardner -- was also a steady charactor actor as was Chief Daniels (Jon Cypher)

But I never saw the other regulars much after that. (Belker, Hill, LaRue, his partner, Ray, the guy at the desk, Ed Marinaro, the Hispanic gang leader --I'm blanking, Martinez?).Barbara Bosson -- Faye -- was married to Steven Bochco so she got a part on Murder One but not much else. Rosenbloom(berg?sp?) I saw intermittently on TV.

Now there were guest stars who went on to stardom. Ally Sheedy comes to mind as does Linda Hamilton.

Dave Schwartz
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Steve & Andy,

Yes! Now I remember Buntz!

Saloondramat! Hysterical! Those guys were always trying to figure out some legal way to make money. That's why they bought Hitler's contract.

Funny thing... They say to vic Hitler - you've got to change your name. He says, "Why?" and they look at each other. "Well, you know... because of Adolph." "Adolph who?"

So Vic goes on stage and 15 seconds into the act he begins to snore. The audience thinks it is really funny. Except that it isn't part of the act. He has just fallen asleep. Audience ceases to laugh after a minute or so.

Dave

Sailwolf
05-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I like the show because almost noone was all good or bad. I did not like the show when the female (who????) became an item with the captain.

Also was there a cop who toward the end of the series sank into the depths of hell and despair after a couple of tough battles with life?:confused:

melman
05-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Andicap err grrrrr grrrrr you dog breath remember Belker typing up reports on bad guys when he got a phone call from his mother??? Mick was a real tough dude on the show but turned to mush when getting the calls from mom. Very funny stuff watching the smirks and laughs from the crimanals when Belker was getting those calls. Also Tom your avatar looks very much like Belker's "helper" on the show. LOL BTW the guy who played Lt Hunter was James B Sikking.

toetoe
05-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Great show.

DJT looks about 80 years old now.

Name the basketball star and the Heisman Trophy shouldawon that were on the show.

Name the actor from HSB that was in 'American Graffiti.'

Name the actress that was sleeping with the producer.

Dave Schwartz
05-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Name the basketball star and the Heisman Trophy shouldawon that were on the show.

Ed Marinaro was a football star... Boston College?

Name the actor from HSB that was in 'American Graffiti.'

Only cause I looked it up... Joe Spano

Name the actress that was sleeping with the producer.

Is that Barbara Bosson?

toetoe
05-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Yes, Dave. You win the Overlay Knowitall Award. :D Well, almost all. Mike Warren is the ex-UCLA hoopstah. I think EM went to Cornell. Dartmouth? No, Cornell. I think. :confused: