PDA

View Full Version : Steve Crist Exotic Betting

Houndog
05-26-2006, 04:26 PM
Did anyone read the advance book excerpt on his book in Saturday's racing form? I am not sure if he can add anything new that has not been covered by others (Mitchell and others). He has some interesting comments about how pace may affect horses that are used underneath in exotics more so than the win horse. He seems to be a proponent of the pick 4 as Mitchell was for the pick3.

Any opinions or comments are welcome.

bigmack
05-29-2006, 12:53 AM
Ahhh... I believe it's a pretty good read

andicap
05-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Crist is a reputable handicapper and as far as I know a sharp exotics bettor. He's certainly improved the DRF (People like to knock it but remember what it was like before he bought it and the only reason it improved before Crist got it was his Racing Times which as I recall everyone loved. Ah, how soon they forget.)

He's a nice guy too. I've interviewed him for stories and he's always frank, friendly and generous with his time. Do I agree with everything the DRF does? Of course not. But I believe deep down he's a horseplayer at heart.

I'll buy the book.

formula_2002
05-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Crist is a reputable handicapper and as far as I know a sharp exotics bettor. He's certainly improved the DRF (People like to knock it but remember what it was like before he bought it and the only reason it improved before Crist got it was his Racing Times which as I recall everyone loved. Ah, how soon they forget.)

He's a nice guy too. I've interviewed him for stories and he's always frank, friendly and generous with his time. Do I agree with everything the DRF does? Of course not. But I believe deep down he's a horseplayer at heart.

I'll buy the book.

If the excerpt is the best of the book, or even remotely represents the tone of the book, he obviously is catering to a very immature crowd.

ryesteve
05-29-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't know about that... I've seen enough people around here who seem to be in love with the ALL button, so having Crist say something like "wheels are bad" might not be the no-brainer that it appears to be. Aside from that, the stuff the excerpt hinted at, but didn't get into, such as optimal structuring of pick 4 bets, is something that I think would be news to a lot of people.

banacek
05-29-2006, 11:01 PM
The excerpt looks like the introduction or part of the first chapter. Certainly the basics must be there for the novice, but I would have appreciated a little bit of a sneak peek at the meat of the book (rather than telling me how much a 3x3x9 triactor wheel costs), especially if you want me to buy it!

highnote
05-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Crist is a reputable handicapper .....

But I believe deep down he's a horseplayer at heart.

I thought deep down he was a greyhound player at heart? :lol:

andicap
05-30-2006, 10:47 AM
I thought deep down he was a greyhound player at heart? :lol:

Actually I think he's really a poker player at heart --

My point was he's a degenerate like the rest of us. If he wasn't editor of the Form, but just another schmo like us, I'd bet he'd be in the grandstand staring at the monitors like everyone else. chain-smoking and trying to make a score on the 5th at Pimlico.

highnote
05-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Actually I think he's really a poker player at heart --

My point was he's a degenerate like the rest of us. If he wasn't editor of the Form, but just another schmo like us, I'd bet he'd be in the grandstand staring at the monitors like everyone else. chain-smoking and trying to make a score on the 5th at Pimlico.

I was joking. I read in "Betting On Myself" that he started out at the greyhound track.

banacek
05-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I'd bet he'd be in the grandstand staring at the monitors like everyone else. chain-smoking and trying to make a score on the 5th at Pimlico.

Geez Andi, I'm starting to think you've got a monitor on me.

the little guy
05-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I've read the entire book and I think it's a very valuable read.

OTM Al
05-30-2006, 04:45 PM
The excerpt looked pretty good to me too. No reason to talk it down either if some of it seems simplistic. Sometimes its good to go back to basics and really think about what one has been doing. I look forward to getting a copy

formula_2002
05-31-2006, 05:30 AM
I've read the entire book and I think it's a very valuable read.

How does he address probability?
How does he determine when things happened by chance?
How does he define statistical significance?
Does he present any arguments based on the huge data base available to him, or he just replaying some old ideas from the past dressed in new clothes?

Thanks
Joe M

the little guy
05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Are those trick questions?

formula_2002
05-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Are those trick questions?

Nope.
It's just that so many of these fellows, glance over, or don't even address the most meaningful factor in a meaningful way.

Did it happen by chance or not ?
And if not, then how often does it have to happen, just to beat the vig.
That's just the start of what I'm talking about.
This is much more than a game of angles, pace figures, silver bullet figures, trainers, jockeys..
It's actual winners/expected winners.
It’s statistically significant or it’s not.

My questions lead to;"How does this book evaluate RESULTS?"

Joe M

speculus
05-31-2006, 09:12 AM
You can't tell a book by its cover, goes the old saying.

You surely shouldn't sit in judgment over a book before you read it.

ryesteve
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Nope.
It's just that so many of these fellows, glance over, or don't even address the most meaningful factor in a meaningful way.
But from what I can tell about the focus of the book, these issues aren't relevant. It's not a book about handicapping and picking winners, it's a book about efficient money management and exotic pool inefficiencies. I'm not sure what sorts of significance testing would be applicable to the book's concepts.

WJ47
06-03-2006, 03:08 AM
I can't wait for this book! It looks great, I really enjoyed his book "Betting on Myself". He has done alot for handicappers, the form is so much better now because of his efforts.

Indulto
06-03-2006, 05:10 AM
Steven Crist is consistently the most readable writer on the subject of horse racing. More than any other racing columnist/author/speaker, he enlightens his audiences on all the various aspects of horseracing. I look forward to his concentrating on wagering after reading the portions from “Betting With The Best” and “Betting on Myself” devoted to that topic.

I doubt that anyone will ever describe the passion, joy and frustration of horseplaying better than Andy Beyer did in “Picking Winners,” or how to think creatively about the game more effectively than Steve Davidowitz in “Betting Thoroughbreds.” They both made you feel as if you were right there with them at the time.

But Crist is in a league of his own. Year in and year out he provokes thinking among his readers without irritating them, and consequently distracting them from what he has to say. Although I disagree with his take on events from time to time, I usually feel he provides more than adequate justification for his position(s). He doesn’t just state opinions, he generally shares the reasoning behind it.

If a National Racing Commissioner’s office is ever established, I can’t imagine a better candidate. He comes off as a straight shooter, and has actual experience in racing operations, horseplaying, and media coverage of the industry at many levels. Name me one other individual in the game with more impressive credentials.

First_Place
06-03-2006, 04:17 PM
"My point was he's a degenerate like the rest of us. "

Degenerate, Andicap??? I beg your pardon...not if you approach horse racing as an alternative form of investment, especially via exotic betting.

FP

Cesario!
06-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Steven Crist is consistently the most readable writer on the subject of horse racing. More than any other racing columnist/author/speaker, he enlightens his audiences on all the various aspects of horseracing. I look forward to his concentrating on wagering after reading the portions from “Betting With The Best” and “Betting on Myself” devoted to that topic.

I doubt that anyone will ever describe the passion, joy and frustration of horseplaying better than Andy Beyer did in “Picking Winners,” or how to think creatively about the game more effectively than Steve Davidowitz in “Betting Thoroughbreds.” They both made you feel as if you were right there with them at the time.

But Crist is in a league of his own. Year in and year out he provokes thinking among his readers without irritating them, and consequently distracting them from what he has to say. Although I disagree with his take on events from time to time, I usually feel he provides more than adequate justification for his position(s). He doesn’t just state opinions, he generally shares the reasoning behind it.

If a National Racing Commissioner’s office is ever established, I can’t imagine a better candidate. He comes off as a straight shooter, and has actual experience in racing operations, horseplaying, and media coverage of the industry at many levels. Name me one other individual in the game with more impressive credentials.

I agree with the above (except I don't know if I'd put him above Beyer and Davidowitz). And I'd also add Mark Cramer to that list. Crist is a blessing to all intelligent horseplayers everywhere.

highnote
06-03-2006, 09:05 PM
I liked your blog.

andicap
06-03-2006, 09:22 PM
"My point was he's a degenerate like the rest of us. "

Degenerate, Andicap??? I beg your pardon...not if you approach horse racing as an alternative form of investment, especially via exotic betting.

FP

I meant the word only in the fondest sense possible.

Cesario!
06-04-2006, 01:13 AM
I liked your blog.

Thanks!

Tom
06-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Crist book on sale now!

Overlay
06-24-2006, 01:24 PM
I bought it yesterday. I'm not all the way through it, but it's been heavy on efficient bet structuring, and has not had the degree of insight that I (perhaps mistakenly) had hoped to find on strategies for pinning down the order of finish behind the winner, and for calculating probabilities for those positions, or for multiple horses in various combinations.

OTM Al
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm about 2/3s the way through it right now and I've really appreciated what I've read so far. It is very clearly and very well written, but we should expect that of someone who's regularly penned a quality column as he has. I think if you are looking for his insight on what horses to pick, you should not bother here as that is not what this book is about. What it is about is how to best stucture your exotic tickets to best take advantage of the exotics pools.

I think it will help me out in some facets of my intrarace exotics play. I knew some things I had been doing weren't the most productive way to do things, but wasn't really sure how to fix them. He's given some good tips on these types of bets that I will be glad to try out. My inter race wagering is much the way he describes it already, but there are some interesting insights on bettor behaviors and what horses are likely to be played too much in these tickets.

So as I said, if you want somebody to tell you what horse to pick, this book is not for you. If you want something that will get you to think about the percentages and the way to structure your picks, then this is an excellent book which I would highly recommend

garyoz
06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
This is a very useful book. If nothing else but to provide reinforcement of good betting strategies. For many I think that this will be new ground. Just look at how members of this board structure their bets for the Aqueduct inner-track pick-4 contest every year. You see very little variation from one equally weighted ticker. Many players are very lazy in terms of bet structuring. IMHO this is one of the better DRF publications.

The good news is many players will continue to play 3X3X3 pick-3's, and 2X2X2X2 (or similar) Pick-4's, particularly on big days or at the SPA and Del Mar.

the little guy
06-27-2006, 01:01 AM
I realize Steve is a good friend of mine, and I don't want to appear to be shilling too much, but I can honestly say that I have won a lot more money at the racetrack simply by learning from him how to bet " smarter ". I can guarantee you he practices what he preaches in the book and it is information that has been a great help to me over the past ten years. I am glad to see others are finding it informative and will pass that on.

By the way, I'm the idiot in the example about the 40-1 shot that ran third, and played exactas instead of triples. Apparantly I still have a lot more to learn.

kingfin66
06-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Steve was at Emerald Downs this weekend signing his book. Unfortunately I was too busy working and didn't get a chance to meet him. From all reports, he was extremely gracious with his time and spent the whole day + at our little track. One thing, and this has nothing to do with betting, somebody needs to tell him it is bad form to smoke during the national anthem.

And just to stay ON TOPIC; I plan on purchasing this book in the very near future as I too can stand to learn lots more about betting.

Zaf
06-27-2006, 11:08 PM
I enjoyed reading Betting on Myself and will purchase the new book. Steve has always been gracious with the fans, especially when I annoy him after the Siro's Seminars :lol:

Z

Cesario!
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
FYI, I posted my reaction to this book in my blog (link below). All in all, I enjoyed it (but, then again, I enjoy ANY book on the game/sport I love), if not being a good bit disappointed at its content for the advanced player.

Additionally, I have taken several nuggets from it and applied them to my thinking. I especially love the the concept of the second race for the place spot, and I enjoyed being reminded of just how many possible trifectas and superfectas that there are. It's too easy to feel like you "just missed something," when in fact, you weren't all that close. :)

Seth

bettheoverlay
07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Win betting bad
Exotic betting good

boxing contenders bad (sometimes its ok)
10cent tickets good

bet more on the combos you really like

watch out for the taxman

if you're not rich with deep pockets, like me, confine your wagering to big race days when all the dummies come out to play

I am a Samurai Warrior of the Pick 6!!!!!!

$25 please

Dave Schwartz
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
I recently read this book. Even though nobody is going to read it and say, "Eureka! I can finally quit my job!" it is still, IMHO, a must-read.

His explanation of exotics will help a lot of people understand how exotics really work. (But you probably think you already know that. <G>) I think more than a few people will see where they are going wrong and, perhaps, how to correct their approach.

I buy just about every book that comes along. The $20-30 is not important. It is what I may learn from a book versus the time it takes me to read and digest it. Most books I read are a total loss but admittedly I often check out by the third chapter. This one I was glad I read.

Simply put, there aren't enough high quality books out there from a source such as Crist. Just order it.

Dave Schwartz

gotrocks13
07-29-2006, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=Dave Schwartz]I recently read this book. Even though nobody is going to read it and say, "Eureka! I can finally quit my job!" it is still, IMHO, a must-read.

His explanation of exotics will help a lot of people understand how exotics really work. (But you probably think you already know that. <G>) I think more than a few people will see where they are going wrong and, perhaps, how to correct their approach.

I buy just about every book that comes along. The $20-30 is not important. It is what I may learn from a book versus the time it takes me to read and digest it. Most books I read are a total loss but admittedly I often check out by the third chapter. This one I was glad I read.

Simply put, there aren't enough high quality books out there from a source such as Crist. Just order it.

Dave-What would be your top five handicapping books of all time? Group it into categories if that makes it easier. How about all time stinkers? There are obviously more of them then ones of value.

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Must Read Books and Manuscripts

1.Winning at the Races by Dr. William Quirin (hardback, 1979)
This book will help you understand Impact Value Tables, $Net and the basic handicapping factors that determine what wins a horse race. It is the information that everyone else already has.

2. Modern Pace Handicapping by Tom Brohamer (several printings)
This is the book that explains how pace handicapping is done. Even if you aren't a pace handicapper, you should read this book because everyone else already has.

3. Commonsense Betting by Dick Mitchell
All the mathematics of wagering are in this book. And it is correct.

4. The Four Quarters of Horse Wagering by Steve Fiero (paperback)
This book gives explains the how to make an odds line and even provides templates for doing so. A bit of a sleeper and a little difficult to find unless you live in the same area as the author. (As I do.)

5. Percentages and Probabilitites by Dr. Frederick Davis (manuscript, 1973)
This paper, published in 1973 by Millwood Publications, is a short, systematic version of impact value tables. It is nearly impossible to find.

6. Exotic Betting by Steven Crist
This book is an excellent explanation of how and why exotics work as they do.

Should Read Books and Manuscripts[b/]

[B]1. HorseMarket Investing by David Schwartz (manuscript, 1991)

My own humble addition to the mix. Even if you don't want to manage your bankroll from race-to-race (you should), it explains the basics of horse racing "money math." (Besides, my wife shops at Macy's.)

2. Pace Makes the Race by Tom Hambleton and Dick Schmidt
This was the best-selling book that really simplified pace handicapping. (It was written by a very surly fellow who really doesn't need the money.)

3. Quick Analysis for Busy Decision Makers by Robert Behn and James Vaupel
This '80s hardback explains how to convert word-based feelings into probability trees. Helps you to take a statement like "I really think that the four-horse is going to the front," and turn it into "Number four has a 40% chance of going to the front."

4. Awaken the Giant Within by Anthony Robbins
For most of us, winning at the races is about change and much of that change has to do with who we are. This book is the absolute text book for making changes stick in your life.

6. Understanding Pars - 2005 by David Schwartz
Why would you want to read about making pars? Because somebody is making them and the numbers are affecting you. Besides, it is available free online right here: http://www.horsestreet.com/products/pars/2005Pars/index.html.

7. Picking Winners by Andy Beyer (1975)
You should read this one because the Beyer number is such a big part of the game.

Just Because It's Fun
1. My $50,000 Year at the Races by Andy Beyer
My favorite horse racing book of all time. Not much in it that will improve your handicapping or bottom line but it is just such a pleasureable read.

If anyone has a hard time finding these books, contact me. My wife either has it in her Amazon bookstore or can tell you how to get it.

kitts
07-29-2006, 01:32 PM
I might as well jump in here. The book was OK. It did a good job of explaining exotics. It was a great help to me in that I was finally able to grasp the significance of me vs exact, trifecta, super. I should not bet them and will not forevermore. I do like serial bets and the books was a help there. It was not what I hoped for but as good or better than most.

cj
07-29-2006, 01:48 PM

1.Winning at the Races by Dr. William Quirin (hardback, 1979)
This book will help you understand Impact Value Tables, $Net and the basic handicapping factors that determine what wins a horse race. It is the information that everyone else already has.

I would add Quirin's other book as a must read, Thoroughbred Handicapping: State of the Art. I actually place it above Brohamer's work on pace. I think it is the first work to actually discuss construction pace figures.

Dave Schwartz
07-29-2006, 02:10 PM
CJ,

Can't disagree.

Dave

melman
07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Steve Fierro's book "The Four Quarters of Horse Investing" can be obtained at www.todaysracingdigest.com or simply by calling 1-888-896-0453. IMHO the best $35 you will ever spend. He offers other items also but I have not used them personally. The web site for that is racedayusa.com. I don't know Mr Fierro, have never met him and not on his payroll. :) However if your serious about betting get this it's cheap at the price.

46zilzal
07-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Steve Fierro's book "The Four Quarters of Horse Investing" can be obtained at www.todaysracingdigest.com or simply by calling 1-888-896-0453. IMHO the best $35 you will ever spend. He offers other items also but I have not used them personally. The web site for that is racedayusa.com. I don't know Mr Fierro, have never met him and not on his payroll. :) However if your serious about betting get this it's cheap at the price.
one of the few, otuside of Mitchell and Cramer, that actually addresses the MONEY side of the game.

blind squirrel
08-01-2006, 04:43 PM
i just finished reading EXOTIC BETTING.last OCTOBER i hit a pick
4 at KEENELAND for 6,000 on a $50 ticket.since that time i've been
playing pick 4's with wagers of $36 to $48.

i've had a few hits $300 to $600{but hey,i'll admit it i've burned a lot of $48 dollar tickets}.CRIST says something in the book
that i could definitely identify with:"the single biggest mistake that
most pick 4 players make may be in trying to hit it with the same
level of investment they put in to the pick 3."the $24 or $36 or
$48 that players invest in pick 3 part-wheels buys surprisingly less coverage in a pick 4."
which brings me to TVG.every day these "handicappers" put in a PICK
4 play.how often do these people hit a pick 4 on $48?ha!about as often
as FREDDY FONG wins a race!aren't they being disingenuous?

now believe me,i wouldn't play their picks but if you go a whole year
without hitting a pick 4,or one for $215 dollars{MATT AND TODD},shouldn't you make
the fans aware that to have a "fighters chance" in the pick 4 a player
should be playing at least a $72 play?

me hitting a $6000 pick 4 with a $50 ticket on a cool OCTOBER day?guess i had a horseshoe up my butt!

Indulto
08-01-2006, 06:23 PM

. . .

5. Percentages and Probabilitites by Dr. Frederick Davis (manuscript, 1973)
This paper, published in 1973 by Millwood Publications, is a short, systematic version of impact value tables. It is nearly impossible to find.

6. Exotic Betting by Steven Crist
This book is an excellent explanation of how and why exotics work as they do.
DS
Sure agree with you on these.

Talk about impact value, Davis' work provided me with the most important angle I was ever able to apply with any regular success: The relative advantages of the two inner post positions in turf races (may not be as strong currently). Hope I still have it somewhere.

Just finished Crist's book. It's another winner, even with tlg's appearance in the acknowlegment. :D

Surprised you didn't mention "Betting Thoroughbreds" by Steve Davidowitz, but it's reasonable that if you had already enjoyed consistent success as a player when you read it, it might not have had the impact on you that it did on me. I even profited from the revised edition. ;)

Dave Schwartz
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Indu,

Do you happen to have the "turf pages?" I have lost mine. If you do, could you possibly scan or copy and send them to me?

I would be greatly appreciative.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Overlay
08-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Talk about impact value, Davis' work provided me with the most important angle I was ever able to apply with any regular success: The relative advantages of the two inner post positions in turf races (may not be as strong currently). Hope I still have it somewhere.

I believe Quirin expanded on that in Winning at the Races with a finding that a significant impact-value advantage applied to each of the inside three post positions in two-turn routes on turf.

Indulto
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Indu,
Do you happen to have the "turf pages?" I have lost mine. If you do, could you possibly scan or copy and send them to me?

Regards,
Dave SchwartzDS,
If I still have it, it’s in a box from at least two moves ago in an attic far too hot to search. Even with my wife’s assistance it would be a long shot, but not as much of one as getting that assistance for a horse racing book. :D

Should it ever show up again in colder weather, I'd be happy to help another Davis fan renew his acquaintance.

Dave Schwartz
08-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Indu,

That is all I can ask.

Thank you.

Dave

highnote
08-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Awaken the Giant Within[/i] by Anthony Robbins
For most of us, winning at the races is about change and much of that change has to do with who we are. This book is the absolute text book for making changes stick in your life.

Agreed. I like his audiotape (or CD) series "Personal Power" even better. A lot of people think he is a snake oil salesman or a one of those Scientology guys. But he's nothing like that -- he just happens to hawk his wares on TV.

I think the man is brilliant.

Dave Schwartz
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
John,

You are correct. His 30-day program is a life changer. I have taken it three times myself.

I just cannot get myself to spend the $10k+ for one of his weekends. Perhaps when I reach the point where I don't need the money, I will be able to justify it. <G>

Dave

highnote
08-01-2006, 09:57 PM
My wife and I attended a one day sales seminar. It was really good. In fact, she used some of his ideas to help her land a great job. We are sure she got the job because of the ideas she learned at his seminar and then used during the interview.

Faster
08-01-2006, 10:31 PM
John,

You are correct. His 30-day program is a life changer. I have taken it three times myself.

Dave

So, if each 30 day program changed your life direction by 120 deg., than, of course, you ended up precisely where you started.
:confused:

highnote
08-01-2006, 10:55 PM
So, if each 30 day program changed your life direction by 120 deg., than, of course, you ended up precisely where you started.
:confused:

I'm so far ahead, I'm behind myself.

Faster
08-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm so far ahead, I'm behind myself.

That would require two more of such 30 day programs

Dave Schwartz
08-02-2006, 02:14 AM
LOL - Okay, okay. Go ahead, laugh it up.

I didn't say it "turned my life around." I said it "changed" my life.

Think of a flat tire... now picture it with the tire pumped up.

(This should give you some more ammunition to work with.)

rrbauer
08-02-2006, 09:16 AM
LOL - Okay, okay. Go ahead, laugh it up.

I didn't say it "turned my life around." I said it "changed" my life.

Think of a flat tire... now picture it with the tire pumped up.

(This should give you some more ammunition to work with.)

I can visualize the same picture simply from overeating...........

rrbauer
08-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I might as well jump in here. The book was OK. It did a good job of explaining exotics. It was a great help to me in that I was finally able to grasp the significance of me vs exact, trifecta, super. I should not bet them and will not forevermore. I do like serial bets and the books was a help there. It was not what I hoped for but as good or better than most.

Just out of curiousity....what did the book teach you about yourself and your own betting that keeping records and routinely analyzing your play has not taught you?

Faster
08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
I can visualize the same picture simply from overeating...........

But Dave did say that the 30 day programs did not make him "round", just 35 psi.
And you had to take it three times. (almost 12 psi per 30 day program)

One day session gets you a job only, I hear.

Faster
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Just out of curiousity....what did the book teach you about yourself and your own betting that keeping records and routinely analyzing your play has not taught you?

1. Sometimes it can beneficial to hear second opinion on a subject that can be very individualistic, such as betting strategy, exotics and vertical bets.

2. Although I am exacta bettor for example, and you may prefer pick 3, we must agree that a perfect bettor would bet “on the nose” only, and that we use exotics to compensate for lack of confidence.

formula_2002
08-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Curios as to Crist's comments regarding the 25% take-out on some exotics and on top of that the IRS "vig". Does he deal with that?

Thanks
Joe M

Faster
08-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Curios as to Crist's comments regarding the 25% take-out on some exotics and on top of that the IRS "vig". Does he deal with that?
Thanks
Joe M

In his (drf) column, I recall, he strongly recommended reduced take-out as a cure to the survival of the sport as we know it.
In a book on exotics, (I didn't read) what's he gonna say; "go and find a poker game instead"?

formula_2002
08-02-2006, 09:08 PM
In his (drf) column, I recall, he strongly recommended reduced take-out as a cure to the survival of the sport as we know it.
In a book on exotics, (I didn't read) what's he gonna say; "go and find a poker game instead"?

If that's where the money is to be made, why not..
Just tell it the way it is.. :cool:

cj
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM

Thanks
Joe M

He talks about it in great detail, both takeout and the IRS, as well as breakage to a lesser extent as of course it isn't important in exotic bets for the most part.

Spend the $15 and buy it.

formula_2002
08-02-2006, 09:32 PM
He talks about it in great detail, both takeout and the IRS, as well as breakage to a lesser extent as of course it isn't important in exotic bets for the most part.

Spend the $15 and buy it.

Ok, I can't resist any longer.. :(
But be warned, I'm sure I'll have something to write about.

blind squirrel
08-02-2006, 09:50 PM
Ok, I can't resist any longer.. :(
But be warned, I'm sure I'll have something to write about.

i finished the book last night.today i played my first multiple
ticket pick 4 at ELLIS PARK.....hit the pick 4 for 1113....i'd
experimented with multiple pick 3 play a few years ago,with
very little success.what i liked about EXOTIC BETTING is the
way CRIST explains the process in detail to maximize your
coverage....i would highly recomend this book{if you can already
find winners} :)

Faster
08-02-2006, 10:47 PM
what i liked about EXOTIC BETTING is the
way CRIST explains the process in detail to maximize your
coverage....i would highly recomend this book{if you can already
find winners} :)

I was thinking.:confused:.if I could find winners, the best way to "maximize my coverage" would be to make one(1) bet on one (1)winner. To win.

Sounds like a plan...if you can already find winners, that is. :)

formula_2002
08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
OK, THE BOOK HAS BEEN SHIPPED..Boy am I going to knock off betcris(t), they are going to be giving it away..
Get the boats ready boys, we are going to the islands and pick up all that cash!! :cool:

Thoroughbred Rebates1. A DAILY rebate of 8% will be paid on all internet exotic wagers. 3% on all Win, Place and Show wagers. 5% on exotic wagers and 2% on Win, Place and Show wagers placed through the call center. There are no minimum weekly volume requirements and there is no maximum on how much you can earn. WOW!!
But there may be one slight problem for me.
http://www.bris.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=trktkout&header=off

So if I play NYRA tracks, I can cut the 15% wps vig down to 12%, and cut the 17 1/2% exacta vig down to 9 1/2%..
Everbody, back on the boats ;) .

rrbauer
08-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Indu,

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

David,
I have the little Davis booklet somewhere....I think it's in a big envelope marked "old horse stuff" that also includes your dissertation on Betting and an original Joe Takich manuscript. When I find it (I WILL NEVER MOVE AGAIN!) I'll let you know....however, I'm curious that given your historical database, why you don't build your own IV info by track, distance, etc.? It would be more current and more specific...also, as I recall, Davis lumped some tracks together.

Just wondering....and, as an aside, does your database info for turf races include anything that addresses the rail setting?

Dave Schwartz
08-15-2006, 10:38 AM
RIchard,

Re: the Davis stuff... I have no interest in the tables themselves... just the layout of the product.

BTW, I found my Davis manuscript (with the turf page) but now seem to have lost the little booklet. (sigh.)

As for the turf-rail, we have no idicators at all in our database.

Dave

Indulto
08-15-2006, 01:31 PM
... Re: the Davis stuff... I have no interest in the tables themselves... just the layout of the product.

BTW, I found my Davis manuscript (with the turf page) but now seem to have lost the little booklet. (sigh.)DS,
What a relief! Just the thought of going up in that attic again was giving me nightstallions. :D

Tom
08-15-2006, 05:15 PM
I have the little black booklet in my hand as I type this.

Dan Montilion
08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I have the little black booklet in my hand as I type this.

Good Lord man don't you know you'll grow hair on your palm and go blind.

Tom
08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Not THAT little black booklet! :rolleyes: