PDA

View Full Version : House panel backs Internet gambling limits

highnote
05-26-2006, 11:54 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525/ap_on_hi_te/internet_gambling;_ylt=AhMXSMkwW1bic3ZJMr2y2hYh2.c A;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-

I can bet legally at Hedgestreet.com, a company regulated by a government agency called CFTC, that a given commodity, such as crude oil, will or will not reach a certain price by a certain day. I can bet less than a dollar or up to as much as I have in my account. I can lose my entire bet or even more than I bet. I place these bets over the internet.

Who is Goodlatte or any other politician to tell me I can't do the same on a horse? Is it more just to bet on the price of the Euro than a horse or a poker hand? Is betting on the Euro over the internet using Hedgestreet more legitimate than betting on the 5th race at Churchill Downs with Youbet?

Do anti-gambling advocates really think internet gambling will cease because of their unjust laws?

Did prohibition stop the consumption of alcohol?

One day we will look back on anti-gambling legislation like we do on prohibition and see what a mistake it was. Great Britain has liberalized internet gambling. Gambling winnings are not even taxed in Great Britian.

What other countries prohibit internet gambling? Probably Iran, N. Korea, and other "axis of evil" countries. Well at least we're in good company. :faint: :bang: :rolleyes: :confused:

If you feel your liberties are being stripped away then I encourage you to add to my argument below as to why internet anti-gambling laws proposed by Goodlatte, et. al. should be actively and aggressively opposed.

I will assemble the arguments and then send them to various lawmakers.

-----------------
This quote is from the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Definition of "Liberty":

a. The condition of being free from restriction or control.
b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing.

2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control.

3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.

-------------

From Patrick Henry's speech:

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

46zilzal
05-26-2006, 12:04 PM
From Patrick Henry's speech:

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
one of my history professor's swore that first hand accounts of this speech had the orator with a very high blood alcohol level

highnote
05-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks. I'll be sure to include that point in my letter to Goodlatte. :D

highnote
05-26-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't have the link for the DRF story by Matt Hagerty, but the headline said "House panel keeps racing's exemption".

So maybe I won't have to write Goodlatte afterall. :jump:

rrpic6
05-27-2006, 06:26 PM
With all the wiretapping and confiscating of e-mails and now this, looks like a good time to get a Government job. Those guys are getting pretty busy.