PDA

View Full Version : superlatives overused

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Ever since I started to follow racing one of the things I always admired was that the HORSEMEN never built up their charges with repeatedly superlative adjectives. The multiple writers for the press are a different story.

I recall when Cougar II was winning on both dirt and grass (too bad it came up wet when he ran against Secretariat as he hated off going) Shoe referred to him as a "useful" horse.

When enough water goes under the bridge, one begins to recognize greatness in the thoroughbred is embodied in a prolonged campaign of a multi-faceted competitor with the toughness to stay around. Brilliance comes and goes (I personally thought that Easy Goer was the next coming, but had to recognize that this massive individual was NOT quick: his Achilles heel).

Over time, the great geldings are the ones that stick out: Exterminator, Kelso, John Henry, and FOREGO. The last of these three was around for a good long while running on spindly legs, carrying great weight and winning both long and short.

There are so many like Silent Screen, Mr. Frisky, Ogygian, Success Express, (two with short brilliant careers: Danzig and Mr. Prospector), Houston, Capote, Storm Cat, Tasso, Favorite Trick, Gilded Time, Arazi, etc. that promise so much but are never around long to prove much. Much akin to brilliant comets these flame out long before they have shown anything other than brilliance.

Add Barbaro to this list. Let the sportswriters get into the deification as they normally do to sell newspapers. We will never know.

alysheba88
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Agreed. Two months ago most didnt even know who Barbaro was. Now its like Seabiscuit got hurt.

dccprez
05-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Agreed. Two months ago most didnt even know who Barbaro was. Now its like Seabiscuit got hurt.

Not to sound insulting Aly, but so what?
It strikes me that more media exposure can only be good for the sport. It also may generate discussion about the ills of the game such as drugs, breeding stock, etc which in turn could expedite some "fixes".

So I say let em' talk all they want and put Barb on a pedestal! Those of us who've been playing for a long time surely know the difference.

alysheba88
05-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Hey personally doesnt bother me much. Just like it doesnt bother me when people call a rookie in some team sport amongst the all time greats. Just think its silly.

Only reason it concerns me is it detracts from the true greats. Let the horse accomplish some things first. From a betting perspective I love the hype

dccprez
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Hey personally doesnt bother me much. Just like it doesnt bother me when people call a rookie in some team sport amongst the all time greats. Just think its silly.

Only reason it concerns me is it detracts from the true greats. Let the horse accomplish some things first. From a betting perspective I love the hype

Actually...you're totally on the mark here.
It does in fact detract from the true greats.
I missed that. Damn! My bad.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2006, 05:46 PM
What superlatives have been overused, and where? I don't see anyone proclaiming that Barbaro was a superhorse, or even a great horse. He's a sentimental horse now more than ever, but I don't see anyone comparing him to Secretariat, even though he ran the fastest final quarter mile in the Derby since Big Red.

46 has gone in the opposite direction when in another thread, he proclaims Barbaro as merely a horse with potential. I feel he showed much more than that....

46zilzal
05-26-2006, 01:06 AM
I was under the inmpression that Rumbo ran the fastest final quarter in a Kentucky Derby since Secretariat.

46zilzal
05-26-2006, 01:29 AM
pace was 1:37 3/5 final 2:02 so Genuine Risk ran around 24. 3/5 and Rumbo closed MORE than 6 lengths on that quarter.

Recall that Laffit said something like "What does it take to win this? My colt ran the fastest final quarter and we still didn't get there."

46zilzal
05-26-2006, 01:40 AM
GENUINE RISK settled nicely as the field came away in good order and was reserved behind PLUGGED NICKLE and inside WITHHOLDING around the first turn and early backstretch. She was eased back slightly and moved to the outside smoothly approaching the half-mile pole, gradually raced to the leaders outside four rivals, and took command entering the stretch;so she was in the lead at the mile marker.

PaceAdvantage
05-26-2006, 03:11 AM
I was under the inmpression that Rumbo ran the fastest final quarter in a Kentucky Derby since Secretariat.

I guess I should qualify that by saying "among the group known as Kentucky Derby winners"

bigmack
05-26-2006, 12:33 PM
OK For the sake of getting you to gear down we'll all say that Barbaro was a bum. There, can we put your mind at ease now?

46zilzal
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
OK For the sake of getting you to gear down we'll all say that Barbaro was a bum. There, can we put your mind at ease now?
no, never said he was anything other than a potential unrealized..you speak for everyone now huh? interesting