PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Two Bucks To Win
05-24-2006, 06:19 PM
http://drf.com/news/article/74826.html

Baze avoids serious injuryBy CHUCK DYBDAL
SAN MATEO, Calif. - Leading rider Russell Baze took off his remaining mounts Wednesday but apparently escaped serious injuries when Spanish Eyes suffered a fatal breakdown in Wednesday's second race at Bay Meadows. Spanish Eyes was dueling for the lead with Viento Fuerte when he broke down on the turn of a five-furlong turf race. Baze suffered bumps and bruises but walked to the ambulance on the main track. He originally planned to ride his remaining mounts after sitting out the third race but then took off his remaining mounts. He was scheduled to have his left ankle and pelvis X-rayed.

Nothing to see here folks, move along, just (another) isolated incident.

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2006, 06:46 PM
If you're going to sit here and report every single breakdown, find someplace else. We know already. Horses are going to break down as long as we continue racing them. Thanks for the shocking reality check.

By the way, you missed the one that broke down on the Turf today at Belmont. Just thought you'd like to know.

Tom
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Hey Duece Bucks - what's your stance on cars? Thousand of people die in cars every year - should they be banned?
How about beeches - people drown or get eaten by sharks every year - should be outlaw swimming?

You said it right - ISLOLATED incident.
64 horses raced at Finger Lakes yesterday and none broke down.

headhawg
05-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Two Bucks,

Perhaps you've mistaken this board for the PETA forums. Enough already! :mad:

Two Bucks To Win
05-24-2006, 06:55 PM
Well if that's your attitude, that nothing is wrong and we as racing fans shouldn't care, then fine that's how you look at the world. Just don't go crying and whining the next time some poor horse suffers a horrible and painful breakdown in front of your eyes because "that's racing" and then you can come up with more asinine "solutions" like making races shorter or some other crapola.

Tom
05-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Sounds like Thunder Booley.

cj
05-24-2006, 07:49 PM
There is a 2yo filly, Making Haste, in the 8th that is coming up in a few minutes at Hollywood. She is making her 6th career start. Stute should be ashamed of himself.

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
Well if that's your attitude, that nothing is wrong and we as racing fans shouldn't care, then fine that's how you look at the world. Just don't go crying and whining the next time some poor horse suffers a horrible and painful breakdown in front of your eyes because "that's racing" and then you can come up with more asinine "solutions" like making races shorter or some other crapola.

Don't tell me what to do. Where do you get off? Who the hell are you?

toetoe
05-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Okay, I get it. Two-Buck Chuck is making a point that the Barbaro thing is overdone. I think it's a valid point. Kinda hard to put it just right, and easy to be misunderstood. :)

Joe L.
05-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Well if that's your attitude, that nothing is wrong and we as racing fans shouldn't care, then fine that's how you look at the world.

So now you know people's world views based on handicapping message board posts? You are a world class piece of work. :lol:

Joe L.
05-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Okay, I get it. Two-Buck Chuck is making a point that the Barbaro thing is overdone. I think it's a valid point. Kinda hard to put it just right, and easy to be misunderstood. :)
Toe
I don't think that is his point at all... check out some of his other posts under The American way $$$$$ thread :cool:

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2006, 10:09 PM
FYI- Spanish Eyes ran 3 races in April, and always ran fast in works and races.
There were 4 turf races today, including 2 routes- all ran at less than 12 seconds per furlong.
The race Spanish Eyes ran in was 5f turf, and all 4 finishers ran in less than 58 seconds (these with the rail at 25'); so you can make an argument that the turf course was faster than necessary today. I am going to email Bay Meadows to remind them of the times.
Spanish Eyes may have broken down regardless of the times, or may not have; may have stepped in a hole, I have not heard.
If there is a possibility of determining a poosible factor in the breakdown, let's find out!
You may PM or email when you hear of any breakdowns and I will look at the PP's. Maybe something based in fact can be productive.

falconridge
05-25-2006, 12:13 AM
FYI- Spanish Eyes ran 3 races in April, and always ran fast in works and races. ...
Spanish Eyes may have broken down regardless of the times ... I didn't download today's Bay Meadows past performances; I'm relying on my ever-diminishing powers of recall to sketch Spanish Eyes' profile, so forgive me if I render a less than convincing likeness. Based on what I remember when I bet him at a boxcar (50+ to 1; he ran second and, of course, I didn't back him up :bang: ) a while back, this is a horse whose career was interrupted by several extended rustications--convalescences, no doubt, from everything from bucked shins and bowed tendons to more serious infirmities. The frequent, prolonged spells of inactivity marked this animal as one whose every step could well be his last. Hence I'm inclined to believe, as Kenwoodall speculates, that today was, unfortunately, just his to break down.:( The trainer had to be well aware of SE's problems (maybe the conditioner would have preferred to give SE some time rather than another race, but, like the rest of us, these guys and gals have to make all kinds of compromises just to keep body and soul together); I expect that's why he was on the turf in the first place. My guess is that the racing surface (I don't think the BM turf has been especially glib) had no bearing on Spanish Eyes' calamitous breakdown.

Good to hear that neither Russell Baze nor any of the other riders were seriously injured.

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Sounds like Thunder Booley.
that weirdo was here too? What a piece of work

DJofSD
05-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Okay, I get it. Two-Buck Chuck is making a point that the Barbaro thing is overdone. I think it's a valid point. Kinda hard to put it just right, and easy to be misunderstood.

The part of the Barbaro "thing" this is being over done is the daily 'he's doing "x" therefore he's on the road to recovery.'

As much as I would like to be wrong, the fact of the matter is he is no where near being "saved." Any number of things can still go very wrong. And the biggest challenge he'll face is still 6 to 8 weeks away. He can develop laminitis.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2006, 12:53 AM
As much as I would like to be wrong, the fact of the matter is he is no where near being "saved." Any number of things can still go very wrong. And the biggest challenge he'll face is still 6 to 8 weeks away. He can develop laminitis.

Very true. But I also believe that Dr. Richardson has been quick to point out on multiple occasions that this is only the very first step on the road to recovery.

KingChas
05-25-2006, 01:39 AM
Very true. But I also believe that Dr. Richardson has been quick to point out on multiple occasions that this is only the very first step on the road to recovery.

If Barbaro survives this can you imagine the doors it will open for the future.

JustRalph
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I hope he makes it back well enough to breed. After watching his turf races yesterday, he could have a real impact as a sire.......with the right mares who knows. Crossing my fingers.

toetoe
05-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Escape the urbs and all its spices;
Forget the Raggies' stern assizes.
Just rusticate,
You runagate,
This hippophile advises.

CryingForTheHorses
05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
The part of the Barbaro "thing" this is being over done is the daily 'he's doing "x" therefore he's on the road to recovery.'

The first 60 days for this guy are very important to see how things are healing. Yes so very much can go wrong and can happen very fast.Horse being spooked,moving the wrong way fast,digestive problems,circulation problems bowel problems, The things are endless that can go wrong. He is in no way for the REST of his life out of the woods.God has his plan for him and whatever ever happens we will deal with it.This guy is now living on "A Wing and A Prayer"..God Bless Barbaro..

depalma13
05-25-2006, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE= Nothing to see here folks, move along, just (another) isolated incident.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I thought it was only the stakes horses you watched breakdown every other day. I guess since you were called on your assinine comments, you have to go looking for every horse that dies out there.

toetoe
05-25-2006, 01:32 PM
I've watched his races again, and he seemed to have a HUGE overreaching stride with his hind legs. I don't claim that that contributed to his injury, although maybe IF he were to suffer an injury, it MIGHT be more likely to occur behind. Anyway, his stride was gorgeous, and a real advantage, I think. :jump: