PDA

View Full Version : Day 4 from the Preakness

bigmack
05-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I can’t find the post anymore of the person that wrote so eloquently of the Preakness shortly after B’s breakdown but it was terrific. After assimilating the dialogue in the past few days I thought I’d throw in a ditty. I trust I’ll have to endure the wrath of those that feel there’s no place for sentimentality but hey, I’m a fool for that stuff…

A better part of the civilized world has seen the replay or observed live, Barbaro take that tragic bad step resulting in a potentially life threatening injury or with Gods help, a career ending injury. It was there for all to see.

There we were, an expectant audience poised for the second chapter of a potentially great triad with an undefeated character who in his previous outings exhibited real moxie and drive. Some watched for the thrill of the pageantry of the big event. Others, as many of us, to be witness to a slice of greatness as no one of us could easily dismiss this colt.

For those unfamiliar with the game they saw the records in fleeting glimpses of video delivered by reporters who had quickly boned up on racing history informing the public that the last Triple Crown was achieved in the same year as the Camp David Accord or when Pete Rose hit his 3000th major league hit. In essence - a long, long time ago…

All the while we remembered the back to back triumphs of the greats. Secretariat – Affirmed - Seattle Slew and the few giants that attained that marvelous feat. Some felt this was the evident year to crown another champion while others reviewed data revealing vulnerability of his effort in the face of this Herculean task.

Since then boxers have died from fatal blows, skiers have tumbled to their deaths, NASCAR drivers have met their death on the track Multitudes of deaths have transpired in various sporting endeavors while hundreds, thousands, millions watched.

From my recollection each tragedy warranted a pause - a moment of reflection.

This is our time of reflection. Those among us that revel in the love of the game and stand together in grief and reflection and those that approach the game merely as a series of numbers; speed figures/pace ratings and the like. Still others point a finger and accuse this glorious game of abuse and entanglement as they will when a tragedy strikes another sport and accuse those of not protecting the participants in a responsible fashion.

Should we examine the game and ask those parties involved to ensure the well being and safety of all parties: horse/athlete, jockey, handler, bug boy, and so on. To ensure the safety of all -how is that even remotely possible?

Asking questions of those involved in the handling and process of this game regarding procedures, meds, training, race distance, layoff time etc… sure why not. Discussion of such matters can’t hurt and may improve the game for the better, or may not.

So, here we sit. Involved in a game we love, being asked questions from friends and family of this tragedy, and in the end we know in our heart of hearts, to little surprise, that it’s a high level game – with high level animals running like the wind.

For what it’s worth, the next time you see a horse running, at any level, giving their best displaying the sheer love of the game and bearing down with an intent drive- feel the whisper in your heart and the spirit in your soul as you recognize that kindred spirit with them and you - To give it your all…

Long live this magnificent game……

bigmack
05-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Comprehensive Video of B
Qual is of question worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgf-ocQFbc&search=barbaro

Ron
05-24-2006, 11:48 PM
Is that first post your own words?

Ron
05-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks for answering my question. And I kinda like Ron-dawg or Ronin better than Ronnie.

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2006, 11:57 PM
That was very cool, quality be damned.....

If anyone still thinks Barbaro wasn't something special, and if anyone thinks Bernardini would have run away from a healthy Barbaro, they don't know racing.

Thanks so much for the link!

JustRalph
05-25-2006, 12:03 AM
That was the first time I saw the Turf races.........damn he looked great on the Turf !

KingChas
05-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks Mac,

Turf,Slop,Fast,Outside Post Duel,20 horse field....."enuff said"....... :cool:

bigmack
05-25-2006, 12:11 AM
That was very cool, quality be damned.....

If anyone still thinks Barbaro wasn't something special, and if anyone thinks Bernardini would have run away from a healthy Barbaro, they don't know racing.

Thanks so much for the link!
Exactly PA
His dig and drop down will to run was really evident in those races. I don't know half of what you do but from what I saw he could have been one of the all time greats.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't know half of what you do but from what I saw he could have been one of the all time greats.

Is someone paying you to say this stuff? :lol:

Seriously, I don't know half as much as you think I know....:eek:

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 12:25 AM
Exactly PA
His dig and drop down will to run was really evident in those races. I don't know half of what you do but from what I saw he could have been one of the all time greats.
Hoist the Flag's career mirrored this one and NO great superlatives were brought out other than what "could have been." POTENTIAL remains just that P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L.

pace analysis of the Preakness put him vulnerable unless he stepped up.

bigmack
05-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Hoist the Flag's career mirrored this one and NO great superlatives were brought out other than what "could have been." POTENTIAL remains just that P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L.

Spell it out so I can get your drift. I'm a bit hazy on the point you're making.

KingChas
05-25-2006, 12:49 AM

Actually my pace analysis of the Derby put him vunerable.I didn't see a problem with the Preakness.We will never know that answer.

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2006, 12:49 AM

When you win the Kentucky Derby by 6.5 lengths over 19 other horses that many consider the deepest field in years, while running the fastest final quarter mile (24 1/5!!!) since Secretariat despite running the first half mile in 46 4/5, AND you win stakes races on both turf and dirt, all the while keeping intact your perfect record, I THINK....

.....it went a little beyond P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L.

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 12:53 AM
HOIST THE FLAG (USA) b. H, 1968 DP = 2-5-24-6-15 (52) DI = 0.58 CD = -0.52 - 6 Starts, 5 Wins, 0 Places, 0 Show

very similar record isn't it? only one less start

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 12:54 AM
When you win the Kentucky Derby by 6.5 lengths over 19 other horses that many consider the deepest field in years, while running the fastest final quarter mile (24 1/5!!!) since Secretariat despite running the first half mile in 46 4/5, AND you win stakes races on both turf and dirt, all the while keeping intact your perfect record, I THINK....

.....it went a little beyond P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L.
no that is ONE race well ridden with a perfect trip

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
HOIST THE FLAG (USA) b. H, 1968 DP = 2-5-24-6-15 (52) DI = 0.58 CD = -0.52 - 6 Starts, 5 Wins, 0 Places, 0 Show

For one, I know Hoist The Flag didn't win the Derby. Other than that, I'm not all that familiar with his career. What did he win, of note?

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2006, 12:58 AM
And why are we off on a tangent again? Can't we keep one thread on topic around here?

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Gotham, Champagne broke down before the Derby

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:03 AM
And why are we off on a tangent again? Can't we keep one thread on topic around here?
the topic is Barbaro and comparisons to other situations isn't it?

RXB
05-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Actually, Hoist The Flag won the Bay Shore, not the Gotham. An awesome performance, as were some of his 2YO races. He broke down badly in training a couple of weeks later but was saved.

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:07 AM
I just discovered that error :Bay Shore and Cowdin

bigmack
05-25-2006, 01:08 AM

Wowie gotta go back pretty far to reach in the old grab bag of contenders to poo poo B.
video of Hoist the Flag for ya here
http://openweb.tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/1971-3/1971-03-31-CBS-19.html
pic 4 ya here

how many hands was this beast?

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:09 AM
For one, I know Hoist The Flag didn't win the Derby. Other than that, I'm not all that familiar with his career. What did he win, of note?
had strong potential as he was the odds on favorite for the Derby that year

RXB
05-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Won the Champagne but was DQ'd for his only "loss."

MNslappy
05-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Comprehensive Video of B
Qual is of question worth a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmgf-ocQFbc&search=barbaro

This is very well done, despite the quality. Thanks for posting it. :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Won the Champagne but was DQ'd for his only "loss."
voted two year old champion

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 01:22 AM
rules here now? no thanks
folks post here the way they want

Hank
05-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Hoist the flag won the Bay shore at 7 furlongs as a three year old NOT the KENTUCTY DERBY.And to suggest he would not have been up to the the pace demands of the preakness AFTER the race is well...........not sporting, nor valid,due to the fact that his responce to that pace will NEVER be known for sure,BUT he sure STEPPED UP to all previous challenges.I Know full well this one was NOT there yet, but boy he sure looked like he might be the real thing.OH well such is life

KingChas
05-25-2006, 01:24 AM
how many hands was this beast?

Really! ,Or was the jock that small? :D

46 ''no that is ONE race well ridden with a perfect trip"

Funniest comment of handicappers.No such trip exists.Old wives tale.
Maybe on a walkover-no too many intangibles. ;)

bigmack
05-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks Mac,

Turf,Slop,Fast,Outside Post Duel,20 horse field....."enuff said"....... :cool:
You said it King. Every offering they threw at him he went and did his stuff. It was pretty good stuff.

46zilzal
05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
good agreed. Didn't have a chance for great.

Tom
05-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Gotham, Champagne broke down before the Derby

I remeber him - he was looking like a good one. Shame what happened.