PDA

View Full Version : May I offer a voice of Reason : This is not the end of the world

BeatTheChalk
05-23-2006, 06:50 PM
The last horse who won the Kentucky Derby .. to get injured in the later
triple crown races...was Charismatic. I can't recall another horse that suffered the same fate. Perhaps I missed one along the way.
I think the record is damn good .. considering all of the problems and suffering of the horses along the way.
So.. let's move on. Latest reports for Barbaro are good !!

Ron
05-23-2006, 08:54 PM
Actually I think Giacomo suffered a bone chip in the Belmont Stakes last year.

JPinMaryland
05-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Smarty Jones was probably pretty worn down by his campaign as well....

Come to think of it in the last 10 years the toll on Ky Dby winners has been rough. Grindstone did not go down in a race but he suffered some sort of breakdown in training, IIRC. Silver Charm had a series of minor injuries that kept him out of racing until late in his 3 yr old year. Real Quiet had a series of problems that kept him out till his 4th year. Charismatic already noted. And Monarchos suffered a hairline fracture in training at Saratoga and only raced once more. And Afleet Alex, I guess he suffered that in training I guess.

I think it's a pretty significant toll, it's just that they all didnt go down in a race...

This year has produced a horrendous toll. I thought last year was disapointing when some of the best horses did not get to CD. Declans' Moon, Rockport Harbor and a few more I'm probably missing.

This year seemed to be a nice exception we had three horses with significant win streaks: Lawyer Ron, Brother Derek and Barbaro. ANother late comer who had thrown some good races: SNS and another freak w/ one monster race: Sinister Minister. It had all the makings of a great class of horses.

Now it is just over 2 weeks later and the field has been blown wide open with all the best ones and some others injured or out permanently: Sharp Humor, Lawyer Ron, Barbaro wont race anytime soon. Sin Min probably out for awhile. Bro. Derek needs a rest. SNS probably needs time off as well.

Very short time to lose so many...