PDA

View Full Version : Hurdles & Doubles

Suff
08-15-2002, 07:21 PM
When I was Kid.... everyone played two things everyday... A double.. and the street number... My DAD used to give me his numbers and double around 11:00 am... and I'd run up the street and get my Grandpas and Nana's... Then stop in the Drugstore and pick up my Aunts and then over to the fire Station to get my Uncles... Then I'd drop them off and use the extra change I made to get myself a lil treat... Fond memories...Back in those days the Street Number came from the Numbers in the ParaMutual pools at the racetrack... Usually the 7th or 8th race... something like the 3rd number in the win , place and show pools would be that nights street number... I always watched two things as a kid.. The doubles and the pools. The double is my favorite bet... I always play the double... I really dislike Saratoga starting off the days card with a steeplechase...

gillenr
08-16-2002, 09:26 AM
Just an aside to your "numbers" story. Way back when, the nite # was the last three digits of the Yonkers handle. Some people played single #s. Yonkers closed the $5 windows & the wise guys played all the even #s until the books got wise.

andicap
08-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't Saratoga offer a double on the 2nd and 3rd races when they have a hurdle race?

My mom used to play the numbers when she lived in the Bronx for a quarter.

Suff
08-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by gillenr
Just an aside to your "numbers" story. Way back when, the nite # was the last three digits of the Yonkers handle. Some people played single #s. Yonkers closed the $5 windows & the wise guys played all the even #s until the books got wise.

They used to mix it up here.. different races and/different pools every so often... to keep a step ahead of the hustlers.... They had a horse fixing scam here at suffolk downs back in the day.. bunch o wise guys went away... for a long time suffolk downs was the only track you could'nt bet in Las Vegas...

Suff
08-16-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Maybe I'm mistaken but doesn't Saratoga offer a double on the 2nd and 3rd races when they have a hurdle race?

My mom used to play the numbers when she lived in the Bronx for a quarter.

If your right.. thanks and my fault for not paying close enough attention...

The State Lottery did more to take the wise guys out of business than the Justice Dept..... The Daily number and track bets were thier Bread and butter...

andicap
08-17-2002, 12:41 AM
The illegal numbers were a better bet than the lottery. The state gives back 40-50% at the most, a real ripoff. The numbers were more generous I have read.

Dick Schmidt
08-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Hey, those jump races are fun! I hit one early in the Saratoga meet that paid over $70 and took a real ribbing over on the HSH board when I bragged about it because I hadn't realized it was a hurdles race. Since then I've made a point of betting them, and I'm so far ahead I'll never give it back. Sure, they fall down a lot, and run for ten minutes or so, but they are fun to watch.

Hint of the week. You ask a horse to run 2+ miles, jump a lot of fences and then zoom down the stretch. Think that late pace might be a good thing for the horse to have?

Dick

gillenr
08-17-2002, 04:19 PM
#s gave back 60%.

Suff
08-17-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by gillenr
#s gave back 60%.

"TAX FREE" add 25%

andicap
08-17-2002, 10:00 PM
If you win $100 on a Lotto ticket, does anyone really claim it on their taxes? Or do the stores where you collect your winnings report it to the IRS?

Suff
08-17-2002, 10:13 PM
100 bucks.. Nothing... cash and carry... In MA... everything over 400 bucks has to be cashed at Lottery HQ's with ID and taxes are taken out on the spot... You hit all 4 exact for a buck with bookies you get 4 grand...ish with state... 2900ish