When I first started following the races, BOTH the Sunset Hdcp and the
Jockey Club Gold Cup were both two miles on the dirt. Here was a
"graded" platform to allow an adequate assessment of stamina ON the
race track. When breeding options came around, the prospective
breeding choices had a forum of racing experiences to review in order
to get that balance between the two wings of Dr. Roman's Speed/Stamina
sire scale.

Over the past 20 years, just about all the DIRT stamina races have
been shortened. We are now wtihout a proving ground for stamina.

Speed and precosiousness go together, so it is a "quick" response from
a breeding. Stamina (look at cross country skiers in the Olympics waho
are mostly 30 or above) takes time to evolve and requires "patience."
The Ascot Gold Cup in England is 20 furlongs: no wonder they breed
stayers.

If stamina does not have a proiving ground, where is a breeder to go
to find it other than turf sires? As these animals get lighter and
lighter boned, we are going to spell the end of the breed unless
something is done to either provide the forum for stamina to be
proven on the track, or re-introduce Arabian blood back in the breed.

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
good post

dccprez
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Nice piece.

JPinMaryland
05-23-2006, 03:19 PM
maybe...but if all this were true how's come track records aren't falling every year like they do in track/field, swimming, marathons, etc.

Not sure what is going on here. Horses run less, they run shorter distances, they break down more often, and they arent getting faster. Somethign wrong with this equation..

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 03:23 PM
maybe...but if all this were true how's come track records aren't falling every year like they do in track/field, swimming, marathons, etc.

I think you missed the point. When you breed for a single characteristic, speed, it maxes out. Law of diminishing returns ring a bell??

kenwoodallpromos
05-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Stamina will be more considered when it is more profitable for breeders to do so.
If I am not mistaken, shorter stakes races pay less in most cases.
The incentive now is to keep the horses running year-round and producing entertainment and fill races.
Interesting you mention Arabians- In Ca, most Arabians do not race year-round.

JPinMaryland
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
I think you missed the point. When you breed for a single characteristic, speed, it maxes out. Law of diminishing returns ring a bell??

this may be true. but then why not the same thing in track and field? Is it a question of a closed gene pool in horse racing vs a gene pool in human events that continues to expand?

Also, on a slightly different note. They can breed stamina back into the herd presumably. BUt what about stoutness? The ability to run 20x a year. Can this be bred as well?

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Also, on a slightly different note. They can breed stamina back into the herd presumably. BUt what about stoutness? The ability to run 20x a year. Can this be bred as well?
yes. Arabian bloodstock. Where the breed originated. but they won't because of the $$$$$$'s lost.

dccprez
05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Setting aside the fact/concept/idea/proof that it is the dam that imparts stamina and soundness to the foal (let's just get that out of the way at least for the moment...)

Of the horses that were recently retired to stud (let's define "recently" as within the last 10 years PLUS AP Indy, Thunder Gulch and any other prominent stallions you can come up with between 90' and 95"), which of them might/should/could/you-would-think impart improved stamina and/or soundness back into the gene-pool, i.e.; breed for Distance/Later-maturing vs. Speed/precociousness.

I have some possible candidates (working from memory here while boddged down at the office);

Point Given, Monarchos, Aptitude, Lemon Drop Kid, Behrens, Victory Gallop, Unshaded...

Lots of others pop to mind...

RXB
05-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Even those sires are not true stayer sires. When I think of stamina-- and I suspect 46Z has the same concept-- we're thinking of sires whose progeny frequently prefer 12f or even longer. Tom Rolfe, Stage Door Johnny, where have you gone?

I think they'd have to import some blood from Europe, NZ/Aus, etc., to really start bringing true stamina back into North American racing.

It's sad to see how cheap and inferior our racing product has become in the past two decades.

46zilzal
05-24-2006, 01:15 AM
or a Run the Gauntlet

dccprez
05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Even those sires are not true stayer sires. When I think of stamina-- and I suspect 46Z has the same concept-- we're thinking of sires whose progeny frequently prefer 12f or even longer. Tom Rolfe, Stage Door Johnny, where have you gone?

I think they'd have to import some blood from Europe, NZ/Aus, etc., to really start bringing true stamina back into North American racing.

It's sad to see how cheap and inferior our racing product has become in the past two decades.

You're wholly correct RXZ.

I was, admittedly, "reaching" and/or "compromising" somewhat. To wit;
My basis was that there seem to be many, many more sires that stand out as 8-8.5-9 Furlong runners. I was trying to "nudge" this to the 10F "Classic" distance (in that I think that 12F, while much more desirable, may already be out of reach).

So based on that criteria (which I should have explained better in the first place), I was interested in others opinions of sires that have a good/better chance to impart 10F staying ability. In essence, trying to "Work with What We Got".

46zilzal
05-24-2006, 12:31 PM
So based on that criteria (which I should have explained better in the first place), I was interested in others opinions of sires that have a good/better chance to impart 10F staying ability. In essence, trying to "Work with What We Got".
you won't get stamina from sires of the short routes.....it is not there

the_fat_man
05-24-2006, 02:32 PM
this may be true. but then why not the same thing in track and field? Is it a question of a closed gene pool in horse racing vs a gene pool in human events that continues to expand?

Alot of interesting things happening here. Of course, I have a number of the participants in this thread on ignore, so I can't really follow completely (On the other hand, history has shown that it would be baseless gibberish.)

I think to really discuss/comprehend these issues one needs to actually get one's (FAT) ass over to the barns and see how they do things over there. Hang out around Tbreds for a bit. See how they live. See how they train up to a race. See how they recover after a race. (Reconcile the thoretical BOUNCE with the actual --whether the former exists or otherwise) See how fragile they really are. See if they're really so incredibly one dimensional.

Not every horse is built to make it to the races.
Many never even make it to the track for training.
Many break down from overtraining (not racing).
So, those horses today that are racing 2x a month might actually be
training the equivalent of 4 races a month. Some trainers can't get it through their heads that going fast in the morning is not really representative of anything else.

Track and Field: sprinters are muscular; long distance runners are gaunt.

Now, while some sprinters and routers are actually born that way, the majority are probably developed (as a result of training). Predisposition acknowledged.

Tbred sprinters are usually big and muscular. As a very nice exception to the rule, we can look at Bold Forbes. Slight, by sprinter standards, this one dimensional speedball was 'taught' to sustain his speed by Laz Barrera. Daily, long, slow gallops on the training track allowed Forbes to stretch out and win the Derby and BELMONT.

When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm with Watson and the behaviorists.

NURTURE over NATURE.

Of course, here, we basically take a point and stretch it to its most absurd extension. Never mind, we've never actually being around the subject we're discussing.

46zilzal
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
still true today: can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Forget John Henry when I say that however.

witchdoctor
05-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Here is a link to the thoughts of the pedigree consultant that I use regarding the Phalaris disease. It is a bit dated as it was written in 2000.

http://www.reines-de-course.com/bloodlines.htm

kenwoodallpromos
05-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Jockey Club and other stats I have seen seem point to the following:

All racing equine use the same drugs.
Equine breakdown rates are highest among- Tbreds, running over 4f, year round racers, on tracks having a harder base, cheaper races, with a big change in training or racing.
smaller % of 2 year olds and racing less and less often.
Less Tbreds retained by original breeder or owner, lower weights, more drugs used, higher purses and auction prices, more tracks, more Tbred racers in training, more starters, more races.
Less starts per horse, less time away from training per year.
Mopre horserascing media outlets to report on injuries.
Lower % of racing Tbreds going to slaughter.
_________
IMHO, all this adds up to an increasingly higher demand for Tbred racing stock.
Maybe not w eaker breed, but more low quality horses racing.
We still have FC racing, and Skipaway won a bunch in a row.
I think if there are more speed-favoring faders racing in high-profile races it may seem the breed is weakening.

dccprez
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
you won't get stamina from sires of the short routes.....it is not there

never-f'ing-mind.