PDA

View Full Version : This Woman is OUT OF LINE!

xfile
05-23-2006, 09:34 AM
:rolleyes: The Only Heart In Horse Racing is The Heart In the Horse

Diary Entry by Linda Milazzo (http://www.opednews.com/author/author1408.html)

http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/diarypage.php?did=648

This woman is pretty rough on the sport.....and rough on the eyes :cool: :
http://www.opednews.com/author/author1408.html
This total BS from an outsider

blind squirrel
05-23-2006, 09:42 AM
i read that article.....she's a PETA freak....they come to louisville
every year to protest the DERBY.they also are opposed to "frying
chicken"....good luck stopping that in the south!

Big Bill
05-23-2006, 10:14 AM
She best not come to Florida where our state bird is fried chicken!

Big Bill

wanderius_thrax
05-23-2006, 10:26 AM
it's a perfectly valid point.

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 10:30 AM
it's a perfectly valid point.

what point?

lsbets
05-23-2006, 10:34 AM
what point?

It seemed like she only had two to make - that Barbaro didn't want to race and that those around Barbaro are parasites. The only thing I really took away is that she's a loon.

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 10:35 AM
yeah I pretty much read the same thing...thats why I was wondering what point this thorax person was talking about.

Anyone who thinks these horses don't want to run is nuts.

Valuist
05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
In honor of her I think I'll head to the nearest KFC/Taco Bell for lunch and have a BBQ Chicken sandwich and a beef combo burrito. :jump: Bon appetite, Ms. Mizzano.

lsbets
05-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Anyone who thinks these horses don't want to run is nuts.

I'm not sure if nuts is the right word, but I would say they have never been around thoroughbreds and don't know anything about them, and since thiw woman is a supposedly educated and intelligent person, she should realize she doesn't have the first clue what she is talking about.

JustRalph
05-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure if nuts is the right word, but I would say they have never been around thoroughbreds and don't know anything about them, and since this woman is a supposedly educated and intelligent person, she should realize she doesn't have the first clue what she is talking about.

What reality are you in today? In my experience, the more educated the more they cannot fathom their own foibles.

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2006, 11:45 AM
IMHO:

There are people in this world who see life differently than we do; theoretically through some sort of prism-like glasses which distort their view point.

There are also people in this world who are not only unreasonable themselves but also not open to reason from other sources.

It would appear that this woman is a card-carrying member of both groups.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I sent her an email, in my most reserved, reasonable, informative, helpful mode.

A test of Daves second group theory. will see if she responds, and how.

so.cal.fan
05-23-2006, 11:52 AM
"This Woman is OUT OF LINE"!

Most of the stuff on that website is out of line.

JustRalph
05-23-2006, 12:24 PM
she is a real dream here............

If only the people around Barbaro had his elegance, his majesty, and his heart. But they don't. They're parasites. They'll suck the blood out of any animal who can bring them fortune and fame. I despise horse racing.

"Milazzo, Linda
Linda Milazzo is a Los Angeles based writer, educator and activist. Her writing has appeared in a variety of newspapers, magazines and domestic and international journals. She's a member of CodePink Women For Peace and Progressive Democrats of America. Over the past three decades Linda has divided her time between the entertainment industry, community projects and education. A political and social activist since the Vietnam War, Linda attributes her revitalized-fully-engaged-intense-head-on-non-stop-political activism to the UNFORTUNATE EXISTENCE OF GEORGE W. BUSH and her disgust with greed-ridden American imperialism, environmental atrocities, egregious war, nuclear proliferation, lying leaders, and global tyranny."

Try these articles on for size:
Polygamy: Loading The Barrels To Ignite the Right (http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_linda_mi_060521_polygamy_3a_loading_th.htm)

TELEVISION'S DISMISSAL OF PROGRESSIVES DISTORTS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY (http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_linda_mi_060423_television_s_dismiss.htm)

Two Bucks To Win
05-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I see a lot of denial in this thread.

Drug addicts usually don't like being the subject of an intervention but sometimes the truth has to be pounded into them whether they like it or not.

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 01:00 PM
What reality are you in today? In my experience, the more educated the more they cannot fathom their own foibles.
why doesn't this surprise me?

toetoe
05-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Two words --- kidney sweat. :eek:

JustRalph
05-23-2006, 01:03 PM
why doesn't this surprise me?

Hurts to look in the mirror huh?

Let's just say there is a plateau some people reach...........

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Find your own "truth" in her response:

Sir... you may explain and explain away, but you cannot dispute that
no horse has ever asked to be raced. Horses run from their nature...
but never for money, to entice a crowd, in any weather... where the
slickness of the track and potential for disaster adds "to the
pleasure of the sport."

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Hurts to look in the mirror huh?

Let's just say there is a plateau some people reach...........
an educated plateau?

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I see a lot of denial in this thread.

Drug addicts usually don't like being the subject of an intervention but sometimes the truth has to be pounded into them whether they like it or not.

Please enlighten me. And I mean that in an honest and sincere way. I would like to know specifically which points this author has made which are valid to you, and which are not (if any).

Thanks.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
"Milazzo, Linda
Linda Milazzo is a Los Angeles based writer, educator and activist. Her writing has appeared in a variety of newspapers, magazines and domestic and international journals. She's a member of CodePink Women For Peace and Progressive Democrats of America. Over the past three decades Linda has divided her time between the entertainment industry, community projects and education. A political and social activist since the Vietnam War, Linda attributes her revitalized-fully-engaged-intense-head-on-non-stop-political activism to the UNFORTUNATE EXISTENCE OF GEORGE W. BUSH and her disgust with greed-ridden American imperialism, environmental atrocities, egregious war, nuclear proliferation, lying leaders, and global tyranny."

It's usually at this point where I scream "NO POLITICAL TALK IN THE HORSE RACING SECTION," but since this is essentially a little biography of the author in question (written by either her or her supporters), it is necessary to understand where she is coming from....

wanderius_thrax
05-23-2006, 02:39 PM
her point, or "position" i should say is that she sees a game designed by humans, for the entertainment of humans, where animals that probably would've had an otherwise non-life threating day are breaking legs or smashing their skulls on the ground, and it's not that far of a stretch to look at that and see... a problem and be sickened by it. would baseball football hockey or auto racing be allowed to exist if the fatality rate was as high for the athletes in question?

the sorrow over barbaro has a lot to do with human guilt, doesn't it? he almost died because of a human creation... horse racing.

and it's about freedom. do racehorses get to really run as they choose? no, there are jockeys and whips involved. would horses really run till they bleed out their nostrils without the human intervention?

why aren't racehorses routinely running themselves into the ground out at the farm? horses usually manage to make it through their lives just fine until race day...it is there that they die. they are fragile creatures that do break their legs on their own sometimes, but isn't the single most dangerous part of a racehorse's life the actual racing day? i would guess: yes. and let's say horses do want to run and run hard-hard hard-- if smarty jones wanted to run say a mile and a quarter every morning in a minute 57, would that be possibly tolerated of their multi million dollar breeding machine? HA! the ownership would FREEEEEAK at letting the horse enjoy himself like that. it's human desires trumping animal desires. that's another point. would barbaro have been allowed to run-run-run-run the day before the preakness? no.

she doesn't like this kind of human control over animals, and i don't think she should be ridiculed for it. she's an american, americans like the concept of freedom. she just wants to extend that concept to animals... the opinion should at least be respected without ridiculing her for being some nutcase.

(part of the contrary view is that these horses wouldn't have been born in the first place without the horse racing industry in place, and that the risk of racing is a small price to pay in exchange for being given life in the first place.... and that the horse's themselves don't know the dangers, so what they know won't hurt them...unless it really does hurt them.)

JustRalph
05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
an educated plateau?

yeah, before they lose all common sense...... :lol:

We can end this now. I don't have time for it. Have a good day.

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 02:45 PM
yeah, before they lose all common sense...... :lol:

We can end this now. I don't have time for it. Have a good day.
you make no sense...the "end this" line is getting a bit thread bare as well.

Two Bucks To Win
05-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Please enlighten me. And I mean that in an honest and sincere way. I would like to know specifically which points this author has made which are valid to you, and which are not (if any).

Thanks.

Sorry, but after the initial shock wore off, I've become very angry. Angry that everyone is speculating about why this happened but at the same time dancing around the real issue here. Drugs are rampant and no one with any sense can deny this. Steroids and other drugs cause permanent damage to the animals/humans who take them. Weakened bones and joints, osteoperosis, damaged tendons, genetic pollution, and problems that we don't even know about yet. And what makes me angry is that I've supported this with my betting and the emotional capital I've invested in the sport, just so I can be lied to and treated like a moron because the powers-that-be are more interested in perpetuating the status-quo than effecting any real change. My anger stems from knowing this will happen again, probably in the near future, because the conditions that allow this situation will continue. Maybe it won't happen on a national stage in front of the world, but it will happen and the sad part is that it could be avoided if the public demands it.

wanderius_thrax
05-23-2006, 03:01 PM
last year, my sister was telling me about how a trainer she knows came across this horse (through a claim i think) that seemed to be in total withdrawal/detox mode for like 2 months. completely unworkable, coming down off of something.

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
last year, my sister was telling me about how a trainer she knows came across this horse (through a claim i think) that seemed to be in total withdrawal/detox mode for like 2 months. completely unworkable, coming down off of something.
Have a friend at Caliborne who tells me many a "studdish" mare comes in to be bred and won't catch until she is away from racing for a year. Old steroids need to get out of the system??

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 03:27 PM
she doesn't like this kind of human control over animals, and i don't think she should be ridiculed for it. she's an american, americans like the concept of freedom. she just wants to extend that concept to animals... the opinion should at least be respected without ridiculing her for being some nutcase.

I fully support her right to not participate in horse racing, to not eat meat, to do whatever she pleases. I do not appreciate the attempts to control my actions -- to outlaw the consumption of meat, to outlaw horseracing. She does not want to extend freedoms to animals. What "freedom" could thoroughbreds possibly enjoy, without us? They would cease to exist. What kind of freedom is that?

falconridge
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
she is a real dream here............
"Linda Milazzo ... attributes her revitalized-fully-engaged-intense-head-on-non-stop-political activism to ... her disgust with greed-ridden American imperialism, environmental atrocities, egregious war ... " ...
TELEVISION'S DISMISSAL OF PROGRESSIVES DISTORTS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY (http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_linda_mi_060423_television_s_dismiss.htm)No t much of a writer is Ms. Milazzo (I assume she wrote--or at least signed off on--her own bio blurb). Whatever could she mean by "egregious war"? As every schoolboy knows, that adjective is derived from the Latin for "separated from the herd"--hence its having come to denote "flagrant" or "blatant." Is she not outraged by armed conflict that somehow escapes general notice?

I'm not at all sure I can approve of her use of the phrase "doggedly determined" in her April 23, 2006 rant on "progressives" (see above link; last line of paragraph #2, if you can stand to read that far)--not, mind you, for its being hackneyed, but because it evinces an odious insensitivity to canines. How dare she stereotype an entire species! My wife and I will attest that Happy and Katie, the two silky terriers that have the run of the Falconridge estate, are determined only to comply with the wishes of the lady and lord of the manor ("Sniff your hair, M'am? Lick your face, sir?"). Then again, she of the doggily dowdy haberdashery probably doesn't know what it's like to be licked.

Doggedly ovine, ursinely avian,

Falconridge

Lasix1
05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
We seem to want to talk about this issue as if Thoroughbreds could be separated from horse racing. When things like the Barbaro tragedy occur, we may feel guilty about running them--as Thrax suggests--or use it as an opportunity to ban it--as PETA does, but both sentiments are misplaced.

What PETA is really calling for is the elimination of Thoroughbreds. Were it not for racing, these beautiful animals would be nothing more than sad zoo specimens bereft of their natural inclination which is not just to run, but to race. Within a few minutes of being dropped on the ground by their mothers, they walk. Within a few days they run. And within a few weeks, if in a pasture with other foals they race.

Similarly, Thrax seems to think that human beings are the source of all the problems in racing. He says that left alone (again, they wouldn't even exist if people didn't care about their capacities for racing) they don't get hurt. But I'm here to tell you that they hurt themselves in pastures by stepping in holes or turning their ankles or doing any number of goofy things that anyone who has ever raised horses can tell you about. They all have a vet close by to whom they pay a lot of money for the sake of keeping them healthy. Why does anyone do it? Because it is in their interests to do so given the economic return the horse provides, the emotional satisfaction they derive from it, the thrill they provide to someone in the family, or whatever. My point is that these are domesticated animals and they wouldn't exist without the involvement of a wide variety of human motivations.

When I first got interested in horse racing, I used to stay home and watch the big events on television because, in my misguided view, it was not a day to celebrate greed, but rather to celebrate the majesty of the horse. But a wise friend reminded me that if there were no betting there would be no sport, and if there were no sport, there would be no thoroughbreds, so by staying home, I was actually hurting the very horses I purported to care about.

I'm all for ending those many practices that we do control--such as drugs--that push horses to the breaking point. But take away racing and you will be forced to imagine a world without thoroughbreds. PETA doesn't give a damn. But a lot of the rest of us do, and not just because we own them, breed them, train them, ride them, or bet on them. Some of us just love to see them do what they want to do-----run.

kenwoodallpromos
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
She is making blanket statements because someonr gave her web space, and because that is her single-angle point of view.
I have read Peta articles and they are pasted snips from various sources- I doubt they have anyone on the inside of racing; their all-or-nothing attitude is why they have little power over racing.

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Lasix1,

GOod post. Makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I have been seriously involved in horse racing since the late '70s but my love affair with the horse did not start until 1993 when I moved to the edge of town and was introduced to the wild horse.

I can still recall my fascination with a band (that is what the typically call them locally as opposed to "herd") of about 8 horses which I found grazing on my lawn one morning. I must have watched them for close to an hour before the moved on.

I was hooked.

I have owned a number of pleasure horses, including a couple of mustangs who qualify as a potentially worthless horse for just about anything beyond watching them run (which has merit, btw). I even helped train one of the mustangs beginning with the hand-taming process. It was tremendous in terms of understanding body language and horse temprement.

Personally, I could never own a TBred because the nature of the sport often forces one to make decisions for the horse based upon economic feasibility (i.e. racing a horse into shape in order to keep stall space, etc.). rather than the true health considerations of the horse.

When one looks at the economics of racing on the backstretch, one realizes quickly that the system is designed for owners to lose money. Potentially big money. It is a lot like sponsoring a Little League team where you are responsible for not only the uniforms but also the feeding and medical care of the players. The only thing the owner really gets out of it is whatever gratification is derived from his personal involvement in the sport.

My limited experience with throughbred owners (and only on the lower end of the price scale) is that they truly love not only their horses but the sport itself. My hat goes off to anyone who wades into that water.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Sorry, but after the initial shock wore off, I've become very angry. Angry that everyone is speculating about why this happened but at the same time dancing around the real issue here. Drugs are rampant and no one with any sense can deny this. Steroids and other drugs cause permanent damage to the animals/humans who take them. Weakened bones and joints, osteoperosis, damaged tendons, genetic pollution, and problems that we don't even know about yet. And what makes me angry is that I've supported this with my betting and the emotional capital I've invested in the sport, just so I can be lied to and treated like a moron because the powers-that-be are more interested in perpetuating the status-quo than effecting any real change. My anger stems from knowing this will happen again, probably in the near future, because the conditions that allow this situation will continue. Maybe it won't happen on a national stage in front of the world, but it will happen and the sad part is that it could be avoided if the public demands it.

Your points are duly noted, and have been much more so in the racing media the past couple of years. There has been a much brighter spotlight pointed at "cheating trainers" who use chemistry to gain an advantage on the racetrack.

I agree with you 100% that performance enhancing drugs such as steroids be completely eliminated from horse racing.

Here's a thought. Using performance enhancing drugs on a racehorse is a punishable offense if the user is caught, correct?

Now, isn't it also perceivable that someone using performance enhancing drugs on their racehorse is also tampering with the race.....or taken to it's logical conclusion, they are attempting to "fix" the race.

Why then, aren't trainers who are caught with horses testing positive for banned substances also brought up on criminal race fixing charges? I bet that would be a huge step towards eliminating illegal medications at race time. The fear of jail time is a mighty strong motivator for change.

Stevie Belmont
05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
C'mon. PETA is a joke. PETA is an extremist organization. These knuckle heads promote violence to further thier cause. These guys are bad news. Check this link out after 9/11. http://www.fb.org/views/focus/fo2001/fo1008.html

chickenhead
05-23-2006, 05:29 PM
After several emails, I will confirm that this woman now hates me.

She is in my estimation probably about as miserable a person to be around as is possible.

Lasix1
05-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Lasix1,

GOod post. Makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I have been seriously involved in horse racing since the late '70s but my love affair with the horse did not start until 1993 when I moved to the edge of town and was introduced to the wild horse.

I was hooked.

Personally, I could never own a TBred because the nature of the sport often forces one to make decisions for the horse based upon economic feasibility (i.e. racing a horse into shape in order to keep stall space, etc.). rather than the true health considerations of the horse.
Thanks for the kind words, Dave, and also for sharing your experiences with these magnificent animals. Like you, I could never own a racing thoroughbred for fear of the emotional toll it would take if something happened like what happened at Pimlico on Saturday. My hat is off (and my heart goes out) to the Jackson’s---not just for being in the game, but for the classy way in which they handled the entire matter. They made it clear from the outset that they were going to try to save Barbaro's life, not just for the sake of future breeding, but because of Barbaro himself.

These incidents should remind us of the enormous responsibility to end the use of illegal drugs in this game---as PA has said over-and-over again, and to do everything we can to see to it that an inherently risky sport is as safe as we can possibly make it.

JustRalph
05-23-2006, 05:40 PM

She is in my estimation probably about as miserable a person to be around as is possible.

Come on ! !! Post them~!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2006, 05:50 PM

Nah... I met an Aussie when I was in Japan that absolutely takes the cake.

Dave

JustRalph
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
you make no sense...the "end this" line is getting a bit thread bare as well.

hey, I don't feel like doing the Troll dance with you today. I am busy and running around. I take a break to read the news and log in here for a little recreation in the middle of the day. I just drove two hours home and am still answering the cell phone (not to mention the five calls that came in on the road) and trying to keep an overtaxed, understaffed business running. I am on vacation and headed to Houston this weekend.......If I find some down time we can dance then. But for now.............I am gonna sit back and watch some tube and relax.

JustRalph................out! :D

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 06:14 PM
hey, I don't feel like doing the Troll dance with you today. I am busy and running around. I take a break to read the news and log in here for a little recreation in the middle of the day. I just drove two hours home and am still answering the cell phone (not to mention the five calls that came in on the road) and trying to keep an overtaxed, understaffed business running. I am on vacation and headed to Houston this weekend.......If I find some down time we can dance then. But for now.............I am gonna sit back and watch some tube and relax.

that was a waste of typing energy

lsbets
05-23-2006, 06:44 PM

Perhaps you are merely misinterpreting her obvious love for animals. :lol: :lol:

Joe L.
05-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Excellent post Lasix1! BTW, you'll have to change your screen name if they outlaw drugs! :D

Tom
05-24-2006, 01:02 AM
I sent her an email, too. Told her I was interested in joining PETA,

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

Still waiting for a reply.:D

Dave Schwartz
05-24-2006, 01:40 AM
:lol:

Lasix1
05-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Excellent post Lasix1! BTW, you'll have to change your screen name if they outlaw drugs! :D
The second they make Lasix illegal, Joe, I will change my screen name! I think that some drugs, like Bute, ought to be legal (it's essentially aspirin for horses), and the jury is still out on Lasix. If it were me, I'd make as clear a distinction as is pharmacologically possible between performance-enabling drugs (like Bute and perhaps Lasix) and performance-enhancing drugs like cocaine and the various milkshake cocktails that some unscrupulous trainers are now using. Like PA, I'd ban them for life if it can be established that they knowingly gave a horse an illegal substance. There are, to be sure, grey areas such as misunderstandings about how long it takes a drug that is legal to use, but not to have in the horse's system on the day of the race to clear, but there can be no misunderstanding about milkshakes and cocaine and all the rest of the designer drugs that keep popping up. If racing is unwilling to stop this scourge on pure moral grounds, maybe they will do it on the criminal ground that such trainers are trying to steal money by, in effect, fixing races.

Thanks to both you and Dave for the kind words about my post. I've been very gratified about the outpouring of sentiment on the board concerning Barbaro. The few who still don't get it have been far outpaced by the many that did.

46zilzal
05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
one of the LONG established side effects of NSAID's and ASA is bleeding and lack of platelet cohesion to plug up the break in the vessel. One drug is creating the need for the other.

CryingForTheHorses
05-24-2006, 03:57 PM

Dont eat any chicken Ralph!!