PDA

View Full Version : Still no info on Specific rules .. when a horse breaks thru the gate ??

BeatTheChalk
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I am sure that somebody will post the info. Or .. maybe there are no rules
hmm ? There sure the hell should be.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Why would there be specific rules? Common sense prevails....

Horse Breaks Through Gate

Did he run off? -- If so, unload horses already in gate, wait for loose horse to be captured, scratch from wagering, then reload horses and start race
If he didn't run off, examine horse as he returns to gate, and if vet gives the ok, load back in and start race

PurplePower
05-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Texas rule 313:135 -- a. The stewards may scratch a horse from a race when , in the opinion of the commission ("track") veterinarian, the horse cannot give its best efforts to win the race due to a physical disability or other physical cause ........(bold, italics mine)
Sec 313:423 (e) If a jockey is injured during the parade or at the starting gate, the horse must return to the paddock and be resaddled with the replacement jockey's equipment. the horse must return to the starting gate carrying the replacement jockey.
(f) If a jockey is thrown on the way to the starting gate, the jockey must remount the horse at the point where the jockey was thrown. These are two rules that in a roundabout way address this issue. I did not find a specific rule regarding a horse breaking through the gate. My experience has been the same as mentioned by PA and others -- if the horse is caught quickly (I'd say 2/3 of the time the assistant starter at Sam Houston would hang on to the horse and jump out of the gate with it -- then just run it around to the back of the gate) our state veterinarian would give it a quick look over and the horse would be immediately reloaded without the others being unloaded.) I don't remember a single time that a horse breaking throught the gate broke down in the race. (And it happens with higher frequency than implied by the comments regarding how strong the magnets are that hold the gate shut. I'd say I saw runners break through the gate two or three times a week at SHRP - particularly during Quarter Horse racing.) I do know horses that broke through the gate that won - and I believe that breaking through the gate COULD compromise a horse's best effort -- and we now have hindsight to know, but a Triple Crown denied because of a state veterinarian's scratch and the horse seen "bouncing" back to the barn -- All his connections would have loved that knowing what we know now-- but again - that's just more speculation.

ARCI (Association of Racing Commissioners International) make model rules that are generally followed by all RC's. That is where any standard rule would be made.

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Good post PP. I was wondering about just how strong these magnets are that hold the gate closed. Gary Stevens seemed to imply that it took GREAT force to break open a gate, and I just keep wondering all day how accurate that statement is.....yes, maybe it would take great force for a human to try and break open the gate, but what about a 1200+ pound animal?

The gate is obviously DESIGNED to open if it is pressured hard enough....this is a SAFETY measure so the horse doesn't hurt itself if it lunges forward in an attempt to break out. Perhaps you could shed more light on just how much force would be necessary to open a closed gate....

Murph
05-22-2006, 05:44 AM
"When he went to the gate, he was feeling super and I felt like he was in the best condition for this race. He actually tried to buck me off a couple of times. He was feeling that good. He just touched the front of the doors of the gate and went right through it. During the race, he took a bad step and I can't really tell you what happened. I heard a noise about 100 yards into the race and pulled him right up." —jockey Edgar Prado on his ride aboard Barbaro

from "The Handicappers Edge - May 21, 2006

PurplePower
05-22-2006, 11:12 AM
Good post PP. I was wondering about just how strong these magnets are that hold the gate closed. Gary Stevens seemed to imply that it took GREAT force to break open a gate, and I just keep wondering all day how accurate that statement is.....yes, maybe it would take great force for a human to try and break open the gate, but what about a 1200+ pound animal?

The gate is obviously DESIGNED to open if it is pressured hard enough....this is a SAFETY measure so the horse doesn't hurt itself if it lunges forward in an attempt to break out. Perhaps you could shed more light on just how much force would be necessary to open a closed gate....The springs on the gate are also very powerful (thus the "snap" of the gates opening). If a horse gets its nose in the V just right and pushes forward, it only had to get that gate to open an inch and the springs do the rest. How much force does it take to break a concrete block? or a one inch piece of wood. I know it would break my hand in many places if I took a swing at either. But with proper technique an "artist" can break those hard objects without injury to his/her hand (or head or foot). If a horse hits that V just right the gate will break open without damage to the horse. We have all seen times when a gate broke open and yet the assistant starter held onto the horse and the horse did not leave the gate -- so "powerful forward thrust" was not necessary in those instances.

JPinMaryland
05-23-2006, 03:31 AM
INteresting reading here. Stuff I did not know.

Can anyone shed light on the ass't starter? Where he stands, and what he does. Also where was he in relation to Barbaro.

I say this because I am sure a lot of people dont know how he works. I sure dont and he did come up on the telecast. What they said on NBC was "the ass't starter sure did a good job in letting him run..." (Paraphrase.)

WHich I didnt undestand..help!