PDA

View Full Version : OUT OF RESPECT FOR BARBARO!

jetdriver
05-21-2006, 03:02 AM
I will not bet on the belmont race,I do not believe all the money hungry bastards here that don't or are uanable to realize what this truly means to the sport and I'm new to this board and can't believe some of the post's from some of the people here! And yes I lost $540 today and don't give a shit about the money my heart is broken so are my kids who saw what happened. My son DEREK said to me I wish we could go and visit BARBARO, my son DEREK is 10 years old!GOD BLESS BARBORO AND THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE HIM!!

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 03:09 AM
I will not bet on the belmont race,I do not believe all the money hungry bastards here that don't or are uanable to realize what this truly means to the sport and I'm new to this board and can't believe some of the post's from some of the people here!

Yes, you are new, so I will give you a pass on your broad-stroke application of the phrase "all the money hungry bastards here..."

And being that you are new, perhaps you haven't read the majority of notes on here that display a compassionate, caring tone towards what happened.

In every aspect of life you will find people who will shock you with their attitudes as compared to your own. This board is just a snapshot of the broader base of human nature. This board has been described during its seven years of existence as a sort of community, a neighborhood if you will. In any real-life neighborhood, you have your kooks and your crazies. No different here in this virtual neighborhood.

EQUIPACE
05-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Jetdriver

This race was very unfortunate in that your young children had to witness such tradgedy. Believe me, many of us here know exactly what your saying.
We've seen this before. In fact even worse cases. Its sad and mentally frustrating. If you think we are all MHB's as you put it, you are wrong! We have just as much compassion for these animals as we do for the human connections involved. We are more thankful that jockey Edgar Prado wasn't hurt. That would be even more tragic under the circumstances. I'm sure that anyone here would encourage you to not let this one bad experience of this incredibly satisfying sport persuade you to assume we are all MHB's. Believe it or not, we know what your feeling.

John
~żo

toetoe
05-21-2006, 04:58 AM
jet,

I'll make allowances for your grief, but your post is foolish. You can't tell the world how to feel or what it must realize. I mean, you CAN, but why would you want to?

Sincerely,

The Hardhearted Money-Hungry Loser

jetdriver
05-21-2006, 05:14 AM
dear Mr Admin, normally I don't give anyone tune ups this soon but you are due one. I stand by my comments 100% your observation that I lumped all or the majority of the communitty into the "mhb" catagory is not accurate nor is your observation that by me being new maybe I have not read enough threads to see that alot of people are saddened by todays events,but when I see in other threads on the board and guy's asking for beyer numbers and how they think other horses may fair in the belmont against the new horse to beat not even 12 hours after a tragedy involving what could have been one of the greatest horses in the history of horse racing undefeated going into the derby and numbers equal to and in some aspects even better than the any previous TCW and fighting for his life as we speak wondering and trying to calculate how to bet their $6 dollars in the Belmont maybe I should give you a pass as a moderator for not picking up on that trend which appears to be greater than the ones of concern for BARBARO! With that said I think I will say my prayers go to bed and hope for good news about the horse that In my opinion got cheated out of his glory and our hopes of a new TCW! Good nite to all the true compassionate fans of this sport!:sleeping:

Bruddah
05-21-2006, 05:48 AM
At least cool your Jets a little. There are some fine caring horse lovers on this board and other sites, as well. Obviously, you don't want a pass, so I won't give you one. You are acting emotional, irrational and sophmoric. Take two aspirin and see your psychiatrist in the morning. :ThmbUp:

Suff
05-21-2006, 09:51 AM
! Good nite to all the true compassionate fans of this sport!:sleeping:

I saw you asked about Bet structure costs in another post. Your not a horse player per se. More of a backside guy? Industry type? No matter.

This is a Horse gamblers board by and large. There are plenty of fans similiar to yourself. However, its mainly and intentionally set up for people who put US Dollars on Thoroughbreds.

Have you ever played Craps? You have seen a die go over the lip and onto the ground? Pick it up and keep playing. There are players here that view Horses like dice. They are gamblers. Beyond the basic human compassion for an injured animal, they play to win, play for profit, and more importantly, they try and leave thier emotions at the door.

You should'nt attempt to insult them. Not only because its inappropiatte and off the mark, but more importantly......... Your relativley new and it does'nt behoove your peaceful co-exsistence here to come in the door throwing haymakers.

DJofSD
05-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Wow - that must be the longest run on sentance ever.

I'm giving you a time out. You're the 2nd person in the last twelve hours I've put on the ignore list.

Tom
05-21-2006, 11:06 AM
Jetdriver.....you are obviously lacking in something.......PERIODS!
Most here use them and they usually work out fine. Beingnew, you might not have packed enough - travel is sometimes so hasty, eh?
Well, I hve a lot - buy them in quantitiy on the internet -never know when Imight need to stop a sentence. You are welcom eto a supply until you can get some of your own............................................... .........................
.................................................. .................................................. .
.................................................. .................................................. .

Hope this helps.
Oh, and about your "tune up" that we can be looking forward to, you might need a few of these as well

""""""

: : : : : :

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the board! Tune away. :rolleyes:

Joe L.
05-21-2006, 12:32 PM
I will not bet on the belmont race,I do not believe all the money hungry bastards here that don't or are uanable to realize what this truly means to the sport and I'm new to this board and can't believe some of the post's from some of the people here! And yes I lost $540 today and don't give a shit about the money my heart is broken so are my kids who saw what happened. My son DEREK said to me I wish we could go and visit BARBARO, my son DEREK is 10 years old!GOD BLESS BARBORO AND THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE HIM!!
Jet, the sad "reality" is that horses break down. This is not the first time it has happened, and it won't be the last. It is an unfortunate part of the "game"
I don't know what refraining from wagering on the Belmont will accomplish, but that is certainly your perogative. However, if others here do wager on the race, that doesn't make them "money hungry bastards" or uncaring. Life goes on Jet, racing continues. I am pulling for Barbaro, but I will also continue to play as well. If others do the same and that offends you in some way, well I guess the "problem" lies with you.

Murph
05-21-2006, 12:51 PM
(originally posted in thorostats forums)

http://forum.thorostats.com/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif (http://forum.thorostats.com/viewtopic.php?p=734#734)Posted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:57 am Post subject: Preakness 2006 Recap

What to say after seeing this performance? Bernadini deserves to be crowned a contender but they way he won was very unsatisfying. The Kentucky Derby is a very taxing race for all of the participants and this showed on the track for each of the top three contenders. The slow final time for the race bears this out.

Nothing was posted here (thorostats forum) before the race this week and I find this to be a bit telling. I knew I wasn't going to wager in light of the odds and the addition of new contenders and I had the feeling that was the mood of our group. Maybe it was something totally different. I just know I had a feeling telling me to stay off of this race.

Many of you, I am sure, are aware how dangerous our sport is for the participants from the horse to the connections to the bettor. We all risk much in our enjoyment of the game. None risk as much as the horses on the track. The spirit, drive and courage of racing horses will bring me back to the racetrack every time. They are exceptional competitors who give their all when they break from the gate. Indeed, every horse race is a potential death match because the fine equine atheletes give their all while doing what they love most - running fast and beating the others to the finish.

Unlike their human counterparts they don't consider anything but what they are taught by their handlers. They run from their heart and leave more on the track or field than a human athelete could bear. This is why I love to watch and it is why we can wager on the races. WE KNOW that the horse will run the best as he is able when given that chance. They don't consider compensation, reputation or public opinion, only that their job is to be the first to the finish line. Rare is the racehorse that will shy from the challenge, as these types don't get to stay at the track for long.

Please honor our thoroughbred heros by continuing to support horse racing every chance you get. Explain to your friends and family that what we saw yesterday is sadly a part of what the runners are taught to do. They give all of their physical abilities to the task at hand and it is only suprising that more do not suffer terrible injuries. Tell them to remember and honor the courage of Barbaro by attending or watching the Belmont Stakes in a few weeks, where hopefully the winner will prove what thoroughbred runners are truly made of. Spirit, courage and determination.

We all could use more of each quality in our daily lives, let this running of the Preakness remind you of this and carry those ideals with you to the race track. My heart goes out to all of the Barbaro connections and horse lovers everywhere. Show your support for his fine effort and bravery by attending the races today.

Murph

jetdriver
05-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't believe everyone here is dirt bag, the only thing I was trying to convey was that I could not believe how some did not even seem to pause out of respect. You can't compare dice to an animal ! For my own respect to the sport I was just saying I will not bet on the Belmont. If others do thats how they feel . But the thing that bothered me most and my second post was aimed at the admin that flammed me on the board, the other guy's that posted don't have a dog in this fight! To each his own.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 01:42 PM
But the thing that bothered me most and my second post was aimed at the admin that flammed me on the board, the other guy's that posted don't have a dog in this fight!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I flammed you. Can you please point out in my post how I flammed you so that I don't do this again?

jetdriver
05-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Broad stroke, and failure to read the majority of posts ,reason being new! Flame would you say! And if I wrongfully offended anyone my apology.

Grifter
05-21-2006, 01:52 PM
The "admin that flammed" you on the board is the guy that keeps this board worthwhile. Those of us who appreciate his work all have a "dog in this fight." And you're the first one on my "ignore" list.

Like several others here, I'm old enough to have seen Ruffian break down in the match race with Foolish Pleasure. I remember where I was and who I was with and what I said when I saw it happen. I can say the same about the JFK assassination, the Columbia disaster and 9/11. Why Ruffian's breakdown ranks with those in my mind, I cannot explain. But it does.

I'm sorry that your son was distressed. But lashing out at the "money-hungry bastards" seems a strange way to express your grief.

-- Grifter

jetdriver
05-21-2006, 01:54 PM
I thought me and the admin were trying to get together on something can you guy's stand down for a moment so two men can communicate .And reach an undrstanding please!

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Broad stroke, and failure to read the majority of posts ,reason being new! Flame would you say!

No, I would not say that is a flame. I think it's my interpretation of your post, pointing out what I see as inaccuracies.

A flame is deliberately hostile and insulting. I don't think my reply was either hostile or insulting.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 03:29 PM
I would also counter that a clear majority of the posts on this board show much compassion for the horse.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28175

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28170

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28171

These are the top three most active....there are more....

toetoe
05-21-2006, 04:19 PM
hijacker,

The last person that missed so many periods was a secretary who had to leave town suddenly, kinda like you. At least it wasn't ALL IN CAPITALS.

dccprez
05-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Nor do I believe that many - if not most - of the people who post here are MHB's either. Just wanted to point that out.

In fact, I think that anyone who generalizes like that, when in fact they DON'T KNOW ANY OF US PERSONALLY, is way out in left field.

I generally don't take any postings like that seriously, but that one ground my gears. Who ARE you jet and what on Earth motivates you to make such a foolish, short sighted remark/accusation? I say my good man that it is very unfair.

I'll add to this by saying that I again hosted an informal, happy-go-lucky Preakness Day party and the mood went from joyous antitipcation to sullen in about 10 seconds. We hardly watched the rest of the race and the remainder of our festivities were subdued to say the least. So I guess you could say there was "compassion" for Barbaro - and Edgar - and Mike Matz and the Owners.

Maybe we aren't so bad after all...

That said, not wagering on the Belmont is a personal choice and your silent "protest" is surely well -meant and heartfelt. Kudos to you. But in the end whether someone wagers on the BelStks or doesn't has ZERO bearing on their level of compassion for Barbaro (and other horses that break down). The fact is neither the Trainer, owners or the Jockey of the ill-fated Barbaro could care less whether or not we wager (or don't). In fact I suspect that Edgar will certainly accept another mount for the race if it is offerred to him. Does that make Edgar a MHB or "compassionless" (is that a word??)? I think not. Hey, did anyone stop wagerin on football when Bo Jackson injured his hip - or better yet when Joe Theisman broke HIS leg? Not at all.

Your compassion is compelling jet but try - TRY - and keep it in perspective.

jetdriver
05-22-2006, 01:02 PM
First off,I see now that some people just don't get it! The thing I was so angry about was the initial posts I saw right after the race seemed more interested in who to bet on now in the Belmont now that Barbaro was out. Right after the race I was so interested in what happened that I got right on this site because I could not believe what I had just seen and wanted to see what you guy's here had to say! And the initial posts were shocking and not just to me, other guy's even made comments to other guy's here about not having any class because of their ignorance about the breakdown of Barbaro(check the posts if anyone has doubt about what I'm saying). So I know that there are guy's here like me who understood what happened to that wonderfull animal! And I know that there are guy's here that could not give a shit about what happened and were just happy they won a little coin,at the expense of Barbaro's tragedy! To tell you the truth in my opinion after the horse brokedown from that point foreward it was a tainted race! It's like a championship football game when the #1 Q.B. all season get's their team to the superbowl and then get's hurt the fisrt play of the game. How fair then is the rest of the game! So we will never really know how great barbaro could have been. So in my opinion the race did not have the best in it, not only was the bar lowered it was dropped on the floor! So I made a personel choice that I did not want to bet on the Belmont race and that is what I posted. I was not judgeing or telling anyone not to bet on the Belmont. And as far as the adm comments to me I felt insulted. And the threads you posted do not reflect the initial trend of the posts right after the race in your attempt to discredit me! But that's ok because I realize when you question authority the powers that be have a tendency to lash out,and this is your site. If you won the race I'm happy for everyone who did . To those who posted followup insults to me kiss my ass! To those who posted with inteligent responses kudo's to you! And to those who decided to check my grammer and spelling you would make good secretaries you should maybe think about a career change!

Suff
05-22-2006, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=jetdriver]

We Care, But why do we care so much?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/22/sports/othersports/22ruffian.html?ex=1148443200&en=0e66fe5b438f8eb1&ei=5087%0A

No one wants to see a racehorse break down. The most hardened trainers and the most avid fans seem to agree on this much: A horse has to win, but nobody wants to see one die trying

. http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/22/sports/22barbo.190.jpg (javascript:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/05/22/sports/22cnd-barbaro.ready.html', '22cnd_barbaro_ready', 'width=720,height=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,r esizable=yes'))
Dr. Dean Richardson walking with Barbaro on Sunday following surgery.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/05/22/sports/22fruffian.1901.jpg Associated Press
Ruffian, an undefeated filly who was fatally injured during a race in 1975.

For complicated reasons involving the anatomy and the physiology of thoroughbreds, a serious injury sustained at high speed too often spells death for a horse.

That such a breakdown is traumatic for the owner, the trainer, the jockey, the groom and the exercise rider is understandable. Most of them work closely with the horse day after day. What seems to mystify people is why strangers feel the same way.

Since Barbaro's injury early in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, the reaction of strangers to his plight — an outpouring of concern and love — raises a question with no easy answer: Why do people care so much about the fate of an animal to which they have no personal connection?

JustRalph
05-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Jesus Christ! You are the one who waded in here with a nicely titled thread that called people a bastard in the first paragraph.

Listen, I felt like I was punched in the stomach when the horse was pulled up. I didn't celebrate a damn thing even though I had bet the winner. But you logging in right after it happen is one of the problems with your first post.

If you had been around here more than ten minutes you would know that Saturday afternoon is the slowest time on this board. Everybody is out and about enjoying their Saturday. On a big race day, many are out at the local simulcast hub etc.........the board doesn't pick up until later in the evening. And sometimes not until midnight. You didn't read a representative sampling of what people on this board were feeling at the time. You read a few random posts. The majority was still out on a nice Saturday afternoon.

The fact that some people were already discussing the Belmont without Barbaro doesn't mean a damn thing. There are a bunch of long time horse players on this board who have lived through this kind of thing several times. This tragedy is nothing if you take the scope of coverage and the visual pain endured by those who watched "go for wand" break down. Try googling for the pictures that Sports Illustrated printed after "Wand" broke down. I guarantee you will never feel the same about the bastards at that magazine.

You jumped in here and ripped people a new one, with your heart on your sleeve. You weren't the only one. But I don't recall anybody else calling people "bastards" so you get the top honor for your post.

Consider this; if you were at a local race book and you witnessed this tragedy, and you stood up on the bar and screamed at everybody about being money hungry bastards because they were discussing what the hell this was going to do to the Belmont stakes, what do you think would have happen? There are some parallels. I doubt you would have done it in a race book.

I was just a teen when Ruffian broke down. I will never forget how upset my father was. He really took it hard. And I took this one pretty hard. But some of us play this game from coast to coast 3-5 days a week. Up until about two years ago I played 5 days a week sometimes 50 races a day. You see some break downs when you play that much. It is never easy and you feel for everyone involved, whether it is a 4k claimer at MTR or Barbaro.

There are people on this board who have been playing the races for 50 years. This is a diverse community without any real borders, street signs or even a map of the environment in which we occupy. It is all virtual and mostly anonymous. PA has members here that run the gamut from Congressmen/women (and their families, think about that the next time somebody posts about the latest gambling legislation) to several players who put more through the windows in a year than most small companies gross. There are professional racing writers, radio personalities and many very well known "so called" experts in the field. Writers for major racing publications are here all the time. Most are anonymous but a few join in and enlighten us to their side of the game on a regular basis. I for one really appreciate them. The point is, this is a great place to be a member and this incident is no reason for you to be playing asshole with the guy who makes this place possible. He pays the bills and he has about a million hours of cultivating this site over many years. He soft pedaled a very nice and decent resonse to you right out of the gate. You were in his house and you were rude. Think about it. Or go start your own horse racing board, you won't be the first to leave here and try that tact. Most go down in flames.

Now, step up and join in the other discussions and hang around a while. You might learn something, or you might be able to teach somebody something and you might end up enjoying yourself. No reason to leave, tell anybody to kiss your ass or jump up and respond to this post. Just hang around a while and get used to this community. It can be fun and thought provoking on many different levels. It is a virtual community. Enjoy it.

headhawg
05-22-2006, 02:05 PM
To those who posted followup insults to me kiss my ass!Now here's a surprise -- another new poster who can dish it out but can't take it. :rolleyes:

Don't let the virtual door hit you on the ass on the way out. Buh-bye now.

melman
05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Last week I posted about a harness driver being killed in a very bad racing accident at Harrington very little or no comment on any local TV outlet and none on a national scale. However for a horse being hurt badly tons of coverage by every network in sight. Not knocking the coverage but i think the answer is how well known a horse or for that matter a person is known to the general public. Tons of people in my area were very excited about Smarty Jones and most of them were non racing fans. I think people get to think they "know" the horse or a person from seeing them in the media.

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 03:35 PM
First off,I see now that some people just don't get it! The thing I was so angry about was the initial posts I saw right after the race seemed more interested in who to bet on now in the Belmont now that Barbaro was out.

That's a downright lie. I was on this board within minutes of the breakdown, and there were no such posts. There was one guy bragging about picking Bernardini, but other than that, there were no posts about who to bet on in the Belmont??!!!?? Even now, there aren't any posts about who to bet on in the Belmont.

Are you sure you were looking at the right message board?

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 03:37 PM
And the threads you posted do not reflect the initial trend of the posts right after the race in your attempt to discredit me!

Another fabrication.

Tom
05-22-2006, 03:42 PM
driver, tune thyself! :lol:

And no one can kiss it
while your head is still in it:rolleyes:

the little guy
05-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Why is anyone taking this " poster " seriously?

This is someone who is solely posting for a reaction.

Mine was laughter. I guess I should thank it.

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Good point TLG. Anyone can do a search for themselves and see what kinds of posts were being put up right after the horse broke down.

BUT, I find it hard to sit idly by and watch someone make something up like that.....a discussion of who to bet in the Belmont? People who couldn't give two shits whether or not Barbaro lived wouldn't even be posting about who to bet in the Belmont at that point....it's just so silly.....I gotta call that bluff though....

the little guy
05-22-2006, 04:00 PM
It's hard to avoid...no doubt.

Eventually, computers will come installed with a mechanism that releases a boxing glove to the face of inane posters. Or, even better, a torrent of pies.

Until then......

jetdriver
05-22-2006, 04:00 PM
You were putting out fires at 5:41 right after the race you knew what was going on, darkstar was posting and was called no class because he was bragging about bernadini and other gu'ys were saying how good he handicapped the race B.S. and you took his side saying he made a mistake! He said he did not know how bad the horse was hurt, B.S.! The tv coverage was on Barbaro so fast that we had to wait to see who even ran third how could he not no?TELL THE TRUTH PLEASE! Check the post from CJ,and kingchase under BERNADINI WINS!!!!!!!!! And somebody was asking for best buyer numbers from the race right away I:mad: just can't find the post!

jetdriver
05-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Let me be more acurate my mistake they were asking for buyer numbers the next day and you posted them! What for my point to gear up for the Belmont! And look at the post from CJ,BIGMACK,Kingchas under bernadini wins these guy's were pissed just like me!

Tom
05-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Why is anyone taking this " poster " seriously?

This is someone who is solely posting for a reaction.

Mine was laughter. I guess I should thank it.

They are fun to play ping pong with - until they "tune you up":jump:
First time poster "ran right here" to see what we were saying? Uh huh.

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Let me be more acurate my mistake they were asking for buyer numbers the next day and you posted them! What for my point to gear up for the Belmont! And look at the post from CJ,BIGMACK,Kingchas under bernadini wins these guy's were pissed just like me!

I never claimed all the posts were how you would have liked them to read. But you said people were debating the Belmont as soon as Barbaro broke down......way NOT true....

I said in my post that there was a guy bragging about his Bernardini pick, and another one or two posts that were obvious flame bait (which I promptly removed). Other than that, it was all about concern for Barbaro....and it still was into SUNDAY....even today.....

So stop making it out like this is some sort of callous board where nobody cares about a thing except that next bet. We have people on here now debating about the best way to improve safety for these horses, debating just how Barbaro got injured and what might have been done to prevent his breakdown....

We have people posting pictures and descriptions about what Barbaro is going through....

I'm very curious why you choose to focus on the NEGATIVE so much, when the NEGATIVE was such a TINY proportion of all the posts generated in the wake of the Barbaro breakdown.

jetdriver
05-22-2006, 06:20 PM
As a moderator you should be fair and unbias, I was very offended by your post to me! And could not understand why? When I made the comment about all the greedy bastards I was not meaning everyone on the board only to those it applies too! Like the guy's cheering about winning with Bernadini because of fallen Barbaro. And the other morons that were congradulating them for such a great pick ! I'm sorry to anyone who I offended including YOU! My remarks to those few others still stand and that's all I have to say about that.

Joe L.
05-22-2006, 07:00 PM
I can't be the only one who wishes this thread would shrivel up and die! :bang:

Richard
05-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Jetdriver,
I am compelled to take extreme exception to your post in which you allege that some of us made some "coin" as a result of Barbaro's tragedy(Which,by the way,I would'nt wish on any animal.Swift recovery and long life to him).You'll never know any more than I will as to whether or not Barbaro would've smoked the Preakness field had nothing happened to him.I posted my wager about two hours before the race.This wager was based solely on the idea that my horse had a reasonable chance,at a reasonable price,to beat the rest of the field all at their best,including Barbaro.You're allegation implies that some of us might be clairvoyant and could some how forecast this tragic event.You have my word of honor sir,such is not the case with me.