PDA

View Full Version : Late drop in odds on Hemmingway...

JPinMaryland
05-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Did anyone catch that one? He went down from what 50-1 to 25-1 just moments before the post. Another one for idle speculation I guess. We sure had a good time speculating on SNS's drop in derby odds, why not this? Hemmingway did clunk up for third which he had not business doing, but I think that was just a strange fluke given what happened.

JPinMaryland
05-21-2006, 01:16 AM
Boy there was another weird story about Hemmingway...That they were going to geld him if he didnt do well today. How weird is that? I mean what sort of behavior did he do to warrant that? ANd how does hitting the board, change that? Does hitting the board mean he wont act up again? That is really strange.

Its also strange from the stand pt of stud fees. I mean at this pt. in time how does winnning a race or hitting the board really change a horses chances at stud that much? These horses are already in hte top 0.1% of their crop shouldnt all of today's Preakness field get a chance at stud?

ANd after that their chances are decided by two things: pedigree (which is already set in stone) and how they do in their first several crops. So how does gelding hemmingway after a bad race today make any sense?

I thought about all that today as I filled out my exotics and decided this story was just further confirmation that this horse was in over his head. But now...I dunno. Perhaps the Zito factor should have made me pause. I did pause for about 1/2 a second....