PDA

View Full Version : Preakness Video Links?

highnote
05-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Does anyone know of an internet video link to a replay of the Preakness?

Thanks in advance.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 11:10 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032113/

Scroll down a bit...it's on the right

bigmack
05-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Breaking through the gate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOM8HCVPTQ&search=preakness

The tragic breakdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkg_gTtYNms&search=preakness

Bruddah
05-21-2006, 06:03 AM
Watch when he breaks through the gate. Watching his right rear leg, it seems to be hurting him, at that time. Then, watch his right rear leg as he comes out of the gate the second time. That leg was hurt. It is only slightly noticeable and there are others more qualified than I am, but that leg was hurt, when he broke through the gates the first time. (JMHO)

Sly7449
05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Greetings,

Thanks for the Video.

Fast Foward it to the 3:40 time segment (which is the start). Notice that at the 4th step out the gate, the horse head dips low, around the 7 th or 8 th step, the horse's head is angled to the right. Indicates that it is favouring the right side due to discomfort (hurting). Then a few more steps and OUCH!

Now! back to the Gate Breaking.

Could you imagine the amount of pressure that hind leg took when it met resistance. Did the leg got hurt a little bit (hairline) and then really advanced to a double fracture after the start? Hmmm.

Ask me about pain. I fractured a bone above my ankle while playing Soccer (at 52) and as it occured while I was on the run, my only reaction was to take a dive onto the turf.

Hope that all will be well with time.

L8R

Sly

Suff
05-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Greetings,

Ask me about pain. I fractured a bone above my ankle while playing Soccer (at 52) and as it occured while I was on the run, my only reaction was to take a dive onto the turf.

Sly

From accounts I've read. When the fractures occur, it also detach's the nerves in that area. Barbaro does'nt know (or feel) the fracture right away. It's only when the Inflamation begins does he feel the discomfort. Had Prado not heard the break and continued to push him into position, Barbaro might have run well into the first turn before he stopped on his own.

If he survives, it may be only because of Prado's quick reaction.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Has anyone ever seen a horse break through the gate and break down in a race, other than Barbaro? Many times, a horse will break through the gate, and just run off by himself (full of run and healthy), necessitating a scratch.

And many times, they are caught early, and put right back in the gate and run the race without incident. I have personally never seen a horse break through the gate, get put back in, and break down (other than Barbaro of course).

Does anyone else out there remember seeing such a thing before?

This is why I have a hard time associating breaking through the gate with injury.

Pace Cap'n
05-21-2006, 01:42 PM
To answer your question, no, I haven't.

But I thought it odd at the time that, having broken through the gate, Barabao did not seem the least bit interested in running ANYWHERE.

lukeelisa
05-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Ive seen horses break through the gate and usually they have somone check the horse and ask the jock if he thinks the horse is ok they will even reload the whole field sometimes and give the horse time to walk around then if they notice the horse is not right they will scratch it

kenwoodallpromos
05-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Watch when he breaks through the gate. Watching his right rear leg, it seems to be hurting him, at that time. Then, watch his right rear leg as he comes out of the gate the second time. That leg was hurt. It is only slightly noticeable and there are others more qualified than I am, but that leg was hurt, when he broke through the gates the first time. (JMHO)
____
I'm sure you saw correctly, did the rear leg hit anything breaking through the gate? Being loaded? Prior to getting near the gate? I do not think the ass. starters pushed on hid rear legs going into the gate.

highnote
05-21-2006, 08:27 PM
My thought is that maybe he put so much pressure on the leg when he pushed off to start the race and then he put even more pressure on the leg as he met the resistance of the gate -- imagine standing against a brick wall and trying to take the first step of a 100 yard dash. So maybe he pushed really hard against the gate and that put too much stress on the bone?

I can't imagine any other reason a hind leg would break unless it was already fractured. I can't recall ever seeing a horse break it's hind leg. I saw one of Lukas' horses get a terrible gash on it's hind leg in a big race a few years back, but it was because another horse caught him with a shoe.

Anyone else ever see a horse break a rear leg?

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 08:44 PM
The hind end is the engine. It propels the horse forward, and the front legs catch the brunt of the weight as the horse hits the ground.

However, that's not to say the hind legs aren't fragile and capable of injury. They certainly are.

You see more hind end injuries in turf racing and dirt tracks that are deeper and more sandy.

I'm not looking to start a fight here, but I must ask this question. Barring any evidence to the contrary, why is it so difficult to accept the fact that Barbaro, in the midst of trying to establish position early, and mixing it up between a couple of horses out of the gate, planted his hind leg either the wrong way, or perhaps on an uneven part of the racing surface, and turned his ankle, which unfortunately led to the catastrophic injuries he suffered?

Why is this so incredibly difficult to accept for some?

highnote
05-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm not looking to start a fight here, but I must ask this question. Barring any evidence to the contrary, why is it so difficult to accept the fact that Barbaro, in the midst of trying to establish position early, and mixing it up between a couple of horses out of the gate, planted his hind leg either the wrong way, or perhaps on an uneven part of the racing surface, and turned his ankle, which unfortunately led to the catastrophic injuries he suffered?

Why is this so incredibly difficult to accept for some?

Sounds perfectly plausible to me.

My initial thought as I watched the race was that another horse stepped on his leg when they were in the pack.

I suppose there are many ways it could have happened. Which way is the most likely?

I think the value of considering all possibilities is to pinpoint the cause if possible so that it can be avoided in the future.

For example, if the track was uneven and he twisted his ankle and if in fact that was what caused his leg to break then is it possible that the track superintendent can be on the lookout for an uneven surface and correct it so that it is not a problem?

Or if the breaking through the gate contributed to the fracture then what can be done differently to prevent that same scenario.

It might be just plain dumb coincidence that he broke through the gate and he also broke his leg a few minutes later. They may be totally unrelated. There may be no cause and effect. But surely that is a good place to start looking for a cause.

Of course looking at the track is also a good place to start and then work backwards from the injury.

We'll never know if a fracture existed prior to the day of the race or hours before the race.

The fracture either occured at the moment of the breakdown or it started at some point in time near the loading of the horses in the gate.

The most important question is: Can anything be learned from this breakdown to prevent breakdowns in the future?

bigmack
05-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know where I could find a replay of the Florida Derby? If so, I'd be much obliged.

Suff
05-23-2006, 08:48 AM
The hind end is the engine. It propels the horse forward, and the front legs catch the brunt of the weight as the horse hits the ground.

?

Off the Topic of Video, however, assuming you are correct, and I believe you to be... How can anyone say that, that two "Takeoff's" from the gate within 90 seconds of one another did'nt put undue and over burden stress on his hind legs. I think it is rational to suggest that had he not broken through the gate twice that "perhaps" that bone might have sustained the stress of the BAD STEP?

There are many open ended questions, and I'm not looking for an argument. However I think its common sense to assume that the orginal false break played some part ( no matter how minute) in the accident.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Off the Topic of Video, however, assuming you are correct, and I believe you to be... How can anyone say that, that two "Takeoff's" from the gate within 90 seconds of one another did'nt put undue and over burden stress on his hind legs. I think it is rational to suggest that had he not broken through the gate twice that "perhaps" that bone might have sustained the stress of the BAD STEP?

There are many open ended questions, and I'm not looking for an argument. However I think its common sense to assume that the orginal false break played some part ( no matter how minute) in the accident.

You may be 100% correct, or you may not be. However, the preponderance of evidence suggests that horses break through the gate all the time, reload, and run without incident. Do you change the rules completely around because of one aberration that might not even be the cause of Barbaro's injuries?