PDA

View Full Version : "They give their lives for our pleasure"

BetHorses!
05-20-2006, 10:54 PM
I believe it was Ron McAnally who said this after Go for Wand broke her leg. Lets not forget this.

I really hope this Champion makes it. My heart and prayers go out to all who are involved with Barbaro on a daily basis. Just thinking of you during this very tough time.

Pace Cap'n
05-20-2006, 11:58 PM
A sad and tragic day for Barbaro's connections and all of racing.

The winning jockey was saddened when he heard of the breakdown. He could relate as he was the jock aboard the favored Exogenous in the 2001 Breeders Cup Distaff.On the trip from the paddock to the track,she reared and flipped, landed on her head and became entangled in some fencing and had to be destroyed on the spot.

And poor Edgar Prado. Remember Landseer in the 2002 Breeders Cup Mile? What a sad sight to see him attempting to run on with the right front leg dangling. Edgar refused a ride and walked down the course,from the turn to the paddock, very obviously distaught.

The animals and jockeys both give their all for us and it is a dark day indeed when either experience misfortune.

Bubbles
05-21-2006, 08:53 AM
Two sad, but true, examples of just how accurate Ron McAnally was when he said that. The Exogenous example doesn't get the attention it deserves. That was one heck of a racehorse. Then she breaks down, and a horse who we haven't heard from since, Unbridled Elaine, nails Spain at the wire.

As I've said earlier, all my thoughts and prayers are with Barbaro and his connections now.

JustRalph
05-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I thought Exogenous was the one who flipped coming from the paddock and fractured her skull? She didn't break down did she?

46zilzal
05-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I believe it was Ron McAnally who said this after Go for Wand broke her leg. Lets not forget this.

I have watched that tape many times and his reponse was genuine. The look on Mrs. Lunger's face was horrible as she just turned away.

Pace Cap'n
05-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I thought Exogenous was the one who flipped coming from the paddock and fractured her skull?

That is correct.

46zilzal
05-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Belmont's Breeder's Cup experience is so tainted with injury: Shaker Knit, Mr. Nickerson, Go For Wand, the jumping shadows in the sprint by Dayjur, this filly flipping etc.