PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro Updates

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 08:16 PM
If anyone has any news as to his condition, or any updates on any of the pre-race talk that is going about (talk on TVG about unusual activity during pre-race warmup), feel free to post it here. It would be nice to have things centralized....

Latest word is this:

http://blogs.baltimoresun.com/sports_custom_roch/2006/05/a_sad_sad_endin.html

Here's a statement from Dr. Larry Bramlage, the attending veterinarian: "He's been X-rayed and he has fractures above and below the ankle. His career is over. This is it for him as a racehorse. We're trying to save him as a stallion. He didn't get to expend his energy, so he's still full of energy. You would like to settle the horse down and get him ready for surgery. There's some major hurdles here. He has to be stabilized. We're looking at a long surgery that will take hours."

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Some more quotes coming in:

"During the race, he took a bad step and I can't really tell you what happened," Prado said. "I heard a noise about 100 yards into the race and pulled him right up."
The colt was noticeably favoring his right rear leg.

"It's a serious fracture. This will require pretty major surgery," Bramlage said. "Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer. His career is over. This is very life-threatening.

"Under the best circumstances, we will try to save him as a stallion."

Matz and assistant trainer Peter Brette accompanied their horse.
"Barbaro's behaving like the true champion that he is and hopefully he'll get the best care possible and be all right," D.D. Matz, the trainer's wife said.

Bramlage said a human would have to spend six weeks in bed with a comparable fracture, "with a horse that's impossible."

Full text:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/14629852.htm

garyoz
05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/R/RAC_TC1_PREAKNESS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-05-20-20-25-30

The AP story as of 8:25 pm (EDT) Saturday. Nothing new, but puts the story together.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 08:41 PM
New details on the injury coming in, and it just sounds worse and worse:

According to Dr. Larry Bramlage, a prominent equine surgeon with the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Barbaro suffered a condylar fracture of the right hind leg. Below the ankle is a comminuted fracture (meaning it is in pieces) of the first phalax and there is a piece off the sesamoid.

Full text:

http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33655

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Q&A With Dr. Bramlage:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12891670/

Shamin2nd
05-20-2006, 09:45 PM
From the sound of things and sadly, this horse has very little chance of surviving...

Turfday
05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I have a very close friend who is one of the top podiatrists and foot surgeons in Southern California. He is an ardent racing fan and watched the whole incident.

In my conversation with him since the ill-fated tragedy, he came up with the same hypothesis as P.A.'s friend did, as posted by P.A. in another thread.

The magnets holding the starting gate doors closed are very strong. As Gary Stevens explained, it takes quite a bit of force from a horse to break through the gate.

Some sort of blunt force trauma has to take place for a horse to break through the gate... repeat, I said some.

This could be as simple as likening a human to banging our knee on a table...it hurts briefly than the pain lessens.

But how about an 1,100 pound horse doing same?

My foot surgeon buddy speculates that Barbaro may have been compensating for the pain caused to his front legs when he busted through the gate.

He also said the following, which I found interesting as well.

Did any of you notice this as well?

In some cases when a horse breaks through the gate, they unload the horses, delay the start, give the animal in question a thorough looking over by the vet, then either scratch the horse or re-load him with the field.

This was not the case with Barbaro. He was re-loaded fairly quickly and the race began.

My friend speculates that had they done so.... unloaded the field, and allowed Barbaro to get over the "sting" of breaking through the gate (by giving him some extra minutes, just as you would when you bang your knee), perhaps the outcome would have been different.

We have all "banged our knee" and felt that immediate pain, but a few minutes later it kind of goes away. Maybe if they would have unloaded the field, delayed the start, it might have made a difference.

Was the track vet at fault? Were they concerned about the ramifications of scratching him and the huge amount of money needing to be refunded? I hope neither is the case.

Conquer
05-20-2006, 10:07 PM
I for one feel terrible about what happened. I was stunned. I hope this horse doesnt have to be put down. Did you see the face on the wife and the concern of the trainer.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 10:08 PM
If possible, I'd like to keep this thread about any reports concerning Barbaro's health...the speculation can be kept to other threads...

JPinMaryland
05-20-2006, 10:33 PM
This also a quote from DRF,probably the same article as above, but not for certain:

>>(Dr. Larry) Bramlage said the injury was fluky, unrelated to breaking through the gate or from the excess energy Barbaro displayed prior to the race. Bramlage said the injury could not have happened earlier because the horse broke out of the starting gate for the race and his action was fine until Prado felt something go wrong. He compared this injury to a basketball player blowing out his knee.>>>

the_fat_man
05-20-2006, 10:38 PM
This also a quote from DRF,probably the same article as above, but not for certain:

>>(Dr. Larry) Bramlage said the injury was fluky, unrelated to breaking through the gate or from the excess energy Barbaro displayed prior to the race. Bramlage said the injury could not have happened earlier because the horse broke out of the starting gate for the race and his action was fine until Prado felt something go wrong. He compared this injury to a basketball player blowing out his knee.>>>

The voice of reason, at last:

If they horse has a problem as a result of breaking through the gate
then his action is flawed AND NOTICEABLE out of the gate

but he broke well, was running fine, and was nicely positioned until just before the turn when Prado pulled him up.

He just took a bad step. That's the way it usually happens.
Baseball pitchers pull their hamstrings trying to field bunts. Horses break down taking bad steps.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Some more news:

Barbaro was sedated and backed off the van from the track without putting any weight on the leg, reported another vet, Nick Meittinis. "After we X-rayed the leg and found what it consisted of, we put a very large padded bandage on him, and the entire time the bandage went on, he never moved a muscle."
Track veterinarian Dan Dreyfuss was the one who put the splint on, on the track.

"I saw an unstable right hind leg," Dreyfuss said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14630836.htm

dastar
05-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Bob,

I agree with you and your friend, however, you know as well as I do, along with millions of others:

What would they have said if Barbaro was scratched?

That is the really sad part of racing.

It may be hard to believe, but the on hand vets, would not have scratched him, unless he was literally walking on 3 feet.

Can only think positive thoughts that Barbaro will be saved!

dastar

RXB
05-21-2006, 12:39 AM
Modern techniques and equipment improve the probability of him surviving.

Apparently, the single most important moment is when the horse initially regains consciousness after the surgery, often bewildered and spooked. If he starts panicking and thrashing around, it's big trouble. Hopefully, he'll be calm and relatively motionless. As long as the leg remains stable after surgery, the prognosis for survival is decent.

finfan
05-21-2006, 12:39 AM
This is a letter to the editor to a KY newspaper. Can prosthetics be used to save horses with broken legs? Anyone know more about this?

Injured horses dying needlessly

Horse racing seems to be moving forward with Polytrack and new drug rules. Then comes another breakdown at Keeneland. Another horse needlessly destroyed, never to be seen or heard from again.

Why are racehorses being euthanized with a broken leg?

Near Versailles is a doctor of veterinary medicine recognized worldwide as a leading authority of laminitis and catastrophic injuries. To date, he has provided life for 45 horses with broken legs. Today they enjoy grazing, running and breeding, all with prosthetics.

Many thoroughbred breakdowns are perfect candidates for prostheses because of their physical conditioning. Horses injured far more seriously than those at the track have been saved. Twice this doctor has returned my family's performance horses to a useful life. We were told by numerous veterinarians that both would be lame forever. One is a professional barrel-racing horse in Texas. Her athletic career supposedly was over two years ago.

Traditional ways need to change. Horses risking their lives for our enjoyment deserve something better than a quick death.

This continues nationwide with total indifference toward the animal. Why are people upset with "horse slaughter?" They watch it live at the tracks.

Ruffian! What might have been.

John D. Rowe
Wilmore

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/sports/fans/14520997.htm

JPinMaryland
05-21-2006, 01:03 AM
To the people above: you are supposed to keep the posts specifically to updates to his condition. not speculation. (personally I feel that threads should just be allowed to go their own way, but I can see in the wake of a breaking story that we should respect PA's wishes).

Update: They are scheduling surgery for Sun. afternoon according to story on Bloodhorse and Tb Times...I would hope that is some positive news.

bigmack
05-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Dr. Larry Bramlage - the internationally renowned equine orthopedic surgeon in Lexington, and who frequently is on-site for racing’s major events to explain any serious injuries – said it could be two months before we know if Barbaro is out of harm’s way. For certain, he will never race again. The hope is to save his life. The best scenario is that he’ll some day be a stallion breeding mares.

Most horses who sustained such injuries would be euthanized on the track. But Barbaro will be given every chance to survive. Much of it depends on how he handles his recovery.

“He can stand on three legs; he just can’t survive on three legs,” Bramlage said. “He needs four legs to survive and live out a happy life.”

Bramlage speculated that the initial fracture – presumably above the ankle - happened after only an eighth-mile, but that it took jockey Edgar Prado another 100-200 yards to pull Barbaro up, during which a second fracture below the fracture occurred.

Because its survival mechanism is flight, a horse that suffers a leg fracture usually tries to run, which often damages the limb's circulatory and soft-tissue support systems beyond repair. The only good news is that the bone did not break through the skin, what is known as a compound fracture.

The two main arteries in the lower limb are right over the sesamoids or ankles, and when those bones shatter the vessels can be severely damaged in a matter of strides.

Another complication is that horses have no muscle, a major source of blood supply, below the knees in front and hocks in back. The major components of that part of the limb -- tendons, skin, bone -- have the worst blood supply of the tissues.

The circulation disruption often is a greater problem than broken bones because blood supply is critical for healing. Without circulation to bring in white blood cells, antibiotics can't be delivered to the site of infection, and gangrene readily sets in.

Another problem is that horses cannot lie down for extended periods because their internal organs won't function well. A horse that can't bear its weight evenly on four legs after six weeks is unlikely to survive.

Injured horses frequently shift their weight onto the opposite limb, causing great risk of the hoof disease laminitis (or founder), where the side of the hoof can fall of. Often, the original fracture has begun healing when horses must be destroyed because of founder.

cj
05-21-2006, 01:34 AM

DJofSD
05-21-2006, 01:51 AM
Article from two years ago in Equus about prosthetic devices for horses. (http://www.nanric.com/equus_amputation/Page57.pdf)

2nd page here. (http://www.nanric.com/equus_amputation/Page58.pdf)

ceejay
05-21-2006, 10:48 AM
He is scheduled to undergo surgery to be performed by Dr. Dean Richardson Sunday afternoon. http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33655

cj
05-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Entry mate, where have I seen that link before?

:eek: 1a

ceejay
05-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Oops! Great minds think alike? :blush: :blush:

46zilzal
05-21-2006, 12:24 PM
er complication is that horses have no muscle, a major source of blood supply, below the knees in front and hocks in back
The two main arteries in the lower limb are right over the sesamoids or ankles, and when those bones shatter the vessels can be severely damaged in a matter of strides.

The major components of that part of the limb -- tendons, skin, bone -- have the worst blood supply of the tissues.

The circulation disruption often is a greater problem than broken bones because blood supply is critical for healing. Without circulation to bring in white blood cells, antibiotics can't be delivered to the site of infection, and gangrene readily sets in.

there are many bones in the human body that have this same problem i.e. many wrist bones, the talus (in the ankle) etc. Little blood supply once there is traumatic destruction of the surrounding soft tissue whihc effects the nutrient artery.

bigmack
05-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Drs. Dean Richardson and Barbara Dallap met briefly with the press shortly after noon Sunday at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., to discuss the surgery about to be performed on Roy and Gretchen Jackson's Barbaro, the classic-winning Dynaformer colt who suffered a life-threatening right hind leg injury and was pulled up shortly after the start of Saturday's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) at Pimlico.

Richardson, the head of surgery for New Bolton's large animal division, said X-rays showed a condylar fracture of the cannon bone, a comminuted (multiple) break in the first phalanx or long pastern, a fracture of the sesasmoid, and a dislocated fetlock. Though he described it as a "very, very serious injury," he said, "I've seen worse." Dallap, assistant professor of emergency medicine and critical care for New Bolton, will assist Richardson.

Richardson said the injuries were all internal, that there had been no breaking of the skin, which he described as "encouraging."

The quick actions of jockey Edgar Prado in pulling up Barbaro quickly and the care provided by attending veterinarians at Pimlico were cited as going "a long way" in saving the horse for the surgery.

The surgery could range from one to five hours.

Pace Cap'n
05-21-2006, 01:54 PM
The latest from the AP... (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060521/ap_on_sp_ot/rac_barbaro_surgery;_ylt=AufUZUOI5cZ68wCQVn.OWRQEt bAF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhZDJjOXUyBHNlYwNtdm5ld3M-)

Richardson, the chief of surgery for the center, said the damage was "very, very serious," and he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

"You do not see this severe injury frequently because the fact is most horses that suffer this typically are put down on the race track," Richardson said. "This is rare."

witchdoctor
05-21-2006, 02:52 PM
TB times update

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=63977&subsec=1

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Barbaro in third hour of leg surgery:

http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/sports/broadwire/052106cckrNatBarbaro.b8d1b2e.html

WINMANWIN
05-21-2006, 06:02 PM
Interesting read, If it was not BARBARO they would have euthanized any other horse. Hope they can save this horse. I assume ownership had insurance, but the breeding rights to this horse are probably mind boggling.
Hundred's of millions are on the line.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Barbaro Update: Surgery 'Nearing Completion' at 6 p.m. (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33665)
Barbaro, winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), remained in surgery at 6:00 p.m. Sunday to determine the extent of "life threatening injuries" after the colt broke three bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of Saturday's Preakness Stakes (gr. I). Blood-Horse (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33665)

marilyn
05-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I just read this on another site:

"Barbaro is now in the recovery pool (7:40 pm). He has a bone plate fusing his ankle and pastern and a caste has been placed over this. Dr. Richardson described the surgery as one of the toughest he has performed. He is awakening from anesthesea in the pool, and once he completely comes around, he will be transported via sling back to his stall later this evening (it usually takes an hour from when they are placed in the pool to when they are able to return to their stall.)"

It's still a waiting game, as you all have previously mentioned. Let's hope this young stallion can mentally handle the challenge of recovery, as well as the physical aspects.

arkansasman
05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
TVG says they will broadcast the Barbaro news conference LIVE when New Bolton has the news conference.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 08:57 PM
I just read this on another site:

Thank you very much for that update marilyn.

Secretariat
05-21-2006, 09:16 PM
At a minimum it seems that X-Rays should be taken of all horses before and after Triple Crown races to detect anything pre-race which might avoid any more of this.

DJofSD
05-21-2006, 09:18 PM
At a minimum it seems that X-Rays should be taken of all horses before and after Triple Crown races to detect anything pre-race which might avoid any more of this.

I've previously read that even bone density scans are not enough to be able to detect/predict when a horse is in danger of a catastrophic breakdown like this.

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Press Conference on NOW on TVG and ESPN News.

The short of it is that Barbaro is up and actually jogged back to his stall. He is standing on his own and eating.

He is absolutely NOT out of the woods by any means, but things are looking about as best as they can be at the moment.

Long pastern was broken in about 20 pieces.....surgeon says he sees absolutely no reason to suspect his injury was caused by anything other than a bad step....he even ruled out "space aliens" (his words, not mine).

PurplePower
05-21-2006, 10:00 PM
www.cnn.com has information from press conference --- good pulse in his feet and good pulse throughout the surgery are positive signs --- and fact he is eating -- Here is link to a video showing the pool system used at New Bolton. http://beansidhe.isc-net.upenn.edu:8080/ramgen/vet/nbc/recovery_pool.rm

BetHorses!
05-21-2006, 10:14 PM
:) Hopeful

I gotta tell you I feel so much better now. Just heard the quote he "practically jogged back to the stall" on my local news and it put a big smile on my face. Lets hope he continues on this path.

And a big thank you to Edgar Prado who gave this horse a chance to begin with. You are a hero.

Secretariat
05-21-2006, 10:19 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060522/ap_on_sp_ot/rac_barbaro_surgery

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. - Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro underwent day-long surgery Sunday to repair three broken bones in his right rear leg and afterward "practically jogged back to the stall," the colt's surgeon said.

At this moment "he is extremely comfortable in the leg," said Dr. Dean Richardson, who stressed before the marathon procedure that he's never worked on so many catastrophic injuries to one horse.

Barbaro sustained "life-threatening injuries" Saturday when he broke bones above and below his right rear ankle at the start of the Preakness Stakes. His surgery began early Sunday afternoon at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center for Large Animals.

"You do not see this severe injury frequently because the fact is most horses that suffer this typically are put down on the race track," Richardson said before the surgery began. "This is rare."

"It's about as bad as it could be," Richardson said of the injury. "The main thing going for the horse is a report that his skin was not broken at the time of injury. It's a testament to the care given to the team of doctors on the track and (jockey) Mr. Prado on the racetrack."

Richardson outlined Barbaro's medical problems: a broken cannon bone above the ankle, a broken sesamoid bone behind the ankle and a broken long pastern bone below the ankle. The fetlock joint — the ankle — was dislocated.

The breaks occurred as a result of an "athletic injury," said Corinne Sweeney, a veterinarian and the hospital's executive director.

Bubbles
05-21-2006, 10:19 PM
If Barbaro pulls through, it's a victory for all good things in the equine world. As they've been for over 24 hours, my thoughts are with the horse and the connections.

Tom
05-21-2006, 10:29 PM
This is very good to hear - not over yet, but as good ( or better) than we could expect.
I don't know ab ou tanyone else, but Prado should get the eclipse right now.
I, for one, am sending this guy a nice card and a warm thank you. Anyone know NYRA's address?

bigmack
05-21-2006, 10:32 PM
xray:
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060522/483/8ab95934c31944d783eaca26b2ba9f95;_ylt=AolbAWDodNMr DKbdgyZkYVel24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3bGk2OHYzBHNlYwN0bXA-

Article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060522/ap_on_sp_ot/rac_barbaro_surgery

Boy, Matz looks happy

Joe L.
05-21-2006, 10:38 PM
WOW, he truly is a super horse. I hope this means he is over the hump. :ThmbUp:

BeatTheChalk
05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
I did notice that there was some sort of a problem in the paddock ..but I guess
I didnt pay close attention.

bigmack
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM

PaceAdvantage
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
My God!

lsbets
05-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Its too early to say that everything is going to be fine with him, but so far he has shown to be an amazing animal. I can't get over that picture of him standing there eating!

kenwoodallpromos
05-21-2006, 11:26 PM
So far all great news!!

bigmack
05-21-2006, 11:30 PM
The look of an eagle -- May he heal like a champ.

PurplePower
05-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Don't like promoting another forum but wife is on Final Turn and a guy is posting updated pictures at this link -- some we already have here - this recent one is impressive.

http://finalturn.com/forum/index.php?topic=20040.0

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Thanks PP.....lots of good photos of Barbaro pre and post surgery to be found at Yahoo in this slide show:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/events/sp/052206barbaroinjured/im:/060522/ids_photos_sp/r2697608640.jpg;_ylt=Avo9D8VVCxTYE73FBsxOOGCMKsMA; _ylu=X3oDMTA5bGcyMWMzBHNlYwNzc25hdg--?sp=-1&lsp=6000

bigmack
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
If all goes well we need to thank these folk. Specifically, Dr. Dean Richardson.
Keep in mind it's still 50/50.

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/news/Barbaro.htm

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Barbaro doing well after surgery (http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1991396)
KENNETT SQUARE, Pennsylvania (Reuters) - Kentucky Derby champion Barbaro, who suffered a fractured leg in the Preakness Stakes, is doing well after major surgery but veterinarians are still cautious about whether he will survive.

PaceAdvantage
05-22-2006, 06:07 PM
They say Barbaro has shown "appropriate interest in nearby mares" on day one of his recovery....to that I say, "You can't keep a good man DOWN!" :lol:

But then again, I must ask the obvious: Is it prudent to place mares in the vicinity of a colt in his condition? Not that I'm one to question the good doctors at New Bolton, but I was surprised to read this....

Tom
05-22-2006, 06:14 PM
Well, it seems to be giving him the will to live!

Jeff P
05-22-2006, 08:22 PM
posted by PaceAdvantage - They say Barbaro has shown "appropriate interest in nearby mares" on day one of his recovery....to that I say, "You can't keep a good man DOWN!"

But then again, I must ask the obvious: Is it prudent to place mares in the vicinity of a colt in his condition? Not that I'm one to question the good doctors at New Bolton, but I was surprised to read this....

I think that's a very healthy sign. Seriously. I somehow doubt that the presence of mares in the vicinoty is a complete accident. Remember - horses are social animals. In a natural setting they form families within the structure of a herd.

I broke my own right ankle on the Sunday night before the first day of classes for my junior year of college. It was a freak accident and it happened during a pick up basketball game. Being surrounded by "fillies and mares" evrywhere I went... Naturally, I wanted to lose those crutches as soon as humanly possible. Have to think if the same thing were to happen to me today - the desire to recover quickly would still apply.

All things being equal - how much different can it be for a racehorse?

-jp

DJofSD
05-22-2006, 08:34 PM

If this hospital is like other clinics I've been to, there are any number of mares that are there for their own medical reasons along with mares with foals by their sides. Believe me, if there are mares there at all it is because they need to be -- it's not just another barn.

Given the economic realities, having completely separate facilities based upon sex is a little too much.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2006, 02:56 AM
I hear ya'll....I was just worried that showing "appropriate interest" may lead to him getting crazy....trying to rear up or something loony like that....

We don't need him making any sudden unnecessary moves if you know what I mean....lol

Pixel-Junky
05-23-2006, 04:46 AM
I made this website tonite...its nothing at all fancy but gets the point across, I am trying to get as many people as possible to visit and sign the book for Barbaro. Id appreciate anyone who has a extra minute or two to check the site out and sign it...www.getwellbarbaro.com. (http://www.getwellbarbaro.com)

Thx for your time guys :)

BetHorses!
05-23-2006, 07:28 AM
I hear ya'll....I was just worried that showing "appropriate interest" may lead to him getting crazy....trying to rear up or something loony like that....

We don't need him making any sudden unnecessary moves if you know what I mean....lol

I thought the same thing and when he started jumping up and down even Matz was quoted as being worried.

The problem is this normal behavior is what can undo the repairs of the surgery. I believe what the Doctors say about it still being 50/50 and really hope he makes it.

Tom
05-23-2006, 09:35 AM
CNN reports a press conference going on at 9:30 this morning - Barbaro still doing gine, putting more weight on the leg. MAybe TVG will replay it sometime this morning.

PaceAdvantage
05-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Doctor: Barbaro 'Walking Very Well' (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/23/sportsline/main1645823.shtml)
(CBS/AP) There was more good news Tuesday on Barbaro's recovery from a catastrophic injury to his right hind leg. CBS NEWS (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/23/sportsline/main1645823.shtml)

46zilzal
05-23-2006, 01:25 PM
The toughest and most UN-PREDCIATBLE part of this whole thing is how the horse handled the significant change to his gait and that is good news.

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2006, 01:09 AM
TUESDAY: Barbaro 'Doing Very Well,' Fund Established (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33683)
"Barbaro is doing very well. He's actually better today than he was even yesterday, and he was pretty good yesterday," Dr. Dean Richardson reported in a Tuesday morning news briefing at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center, where the classic winner was resting two days after surgery to repair multiple fractures in his right hind leg. Blood-Horse (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33683)

PaceAdvantage
05-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Jacksons Value Horse's Health Over Money (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33700)
Barbaro was seen napping in his stall Wednesday morning, another indication the seriously injured colt was making steady progress on his long road to recovery from life-threatening leg injuries. Blood-Horse (http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33700)

witchdoctor
05-30-2006, 04:05 PM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33786

Matz said he was informed by Pimlico officials that a frame-by-frame study of the incident shows Barbaro being struck by Brother Derek just before the accident.

46zilzal
05-30-2006, 04:18 PM
it looked like there was contact.

PaceAdvantage
05-30-2006, 04:39 PM
http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33786

Matz said he was informed by Pimlico officials that a frame-by-frame study of the incident shows Barbaro being struck by Brother Derek just before the accident.

Why did it take them this long to discover this? I didn't even have to look at a single replay to determine this was the probable cause, and I was stating so publicly on May 21:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=279112&postcount=9

I haven't watched the replay of the Preakness because quite honestly, I have no desire to at the moment. From what I can remember watching the race live, wasn't Barbaro getting into some traffic trouble right before he injured himself? Perhaps he clipped heels, got shoved, did some shoving himself......I do remember him bouncing around in a pocket of horses right before he got hurt.

bigmack
05-30-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/30/sportsline/main1669292.shtml

BetHorses!
05-30-2006, 08:53 PM
I just watched and could not see it. I will say again that Prado is a hero. It was such a bad break.

bigmack
05-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Good 2 see EP and B.

BetHorses!
05-30-2006, 11:59 PM
PRICELESS :ThmbUp:

bigmack
05-31-2006, 09:17 PM
http://www.nbc10.com/sports/9299846/detail.html
click on video link to McCarthy's Sweet Experience

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2006, 11:55 PM
I know Barbaro has been said to like the fillies, but he sure didn't like that particular filly, Jade McCarthy....the whole time she was petting him and went in for that kiss, he was PISSED!!! :lol:

bigmack
06-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Ears back with a blond of that caliber? Must have been the mic.

bigmack
06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Fairly good photo gall of B @ right
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.horses01jun01,0,7539282.story?coll=bal-sports-horse