PDA

View Full Version : SunRiver ---OUCH

the_fat_man
05-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I found it a bit incredible that more than a few people on this board actually liked Sunriver for the derby and thought the rules (earnings) did him in/wrong.
(Then again, there were a few in favor of Private Vow, the perfect trip without production punk, so, it's all relative. :bang: )

What a performance in the Peter Pan. Got home just in time to catch the race.

Could he have gotten a weaker field?

Could he have been under any more pressure to run down a tired horse?

Hit him again, Raphael :lol:

Embarrassing on 2 fronts: the quality of the field; the effort needed to win the race by SR.

Tom
05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Belmont had a clunker for a stake in that one - crap across the field.

cj
05-20-2006, 05:32 PM
If Barbaro can win the Preakness, he'll be the Great Next Hope in the Belmont.

Tom
05-20-2006, 05:37 PM
I hope he loses today - all we need at Belmont is another 4 horses takes field.

Valuist
05-22-2006, 12:45 PM
No the Peter Pan wasn't the strongest field. But midway through the race, I didn't give Sunriver much shot to win. There was such a total lack of speed that Lewis Michael was on the lead......the stretch running turf horse. And he did still get up to win despite being "against" the pace in the race. I'm sure he didn't get a big figure, but so what; Pletcher's objective is the race three weeks down the line. I'm not yet conceeding the Belmont to Bernardini. Sunriver has shown he can handle the Belmont track and I think he'll at least be a factor.

toetoe
05-23-2006, 01:16 PM
So now Strong (I-Coulda-Binna) Contendah is chopped livvah? :confused:

cj
05-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Sunriver Peter Pan Beyer is 100.

Ron
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
It looks like he won pretty easily to me. The race didn't take much out of him.

bellsbendboy
05-28-2006, 07:12 PM
I thought he ran a big race as well. Remember he was not a stakeswinner, had been off almost two months, and perhaps most importantly, was a one turn horse,in a two turn race. He is a full to Ashado and if,a big if indeed, he wins the Belmont he is worth a ton at stud. BBB