PDA

View Full Version : Derby winners who posted new Beyer highs

Doc
05-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Because Barbaro posted a new Beyer high by 9 pts. in the Derby, I decided to check on the Derby winners in the last 15 years or so to see who else posted new Beyer highs and how they fared in the Preakness. This is what I discovered:

Preakness losers

Sea Hero - New career Beyer top in Derby of 108 (+14), 5th in Preakness
Go For Gin - New career Beyer top in Derby of 112 (+5), 2nd Preakness
Thunder Gulch - New career Beyer top in Derby of 108 (+7), 3rd in Preakness
Monarchos - New career Beyer top in Derby of 116 (+13), 6th in Preakness

Preakness winners

Silver Charm - New career Beyer top in Derby of 115 (+5)
Charismatic - Equaled Beyer top in Derby of 108
War Emblem - New career Beyer top in Derby of 114 (+2)

What this little exercise shows is that no horse who had bettered his career Beyer by more than 5 pts. won the Preakness.

Doc ;)

kenwoodallpromos
05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Can I guess that Monarcos nor Sea Hero were even money Preakness favorites? Which of those were undefeated? How many undeafeated Ky Derby winners lost the Preakness? hanks!

andicap
05-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Barbaro also broke new ground in coming off a 5-week layoff to win the Derby.

Remember before the race when everyone said, "no one comes off a 5 week layoff to win the Derby."

So maybe you have to throw the past away with this horse.

Of course the reason no horse had ever come off a 5-week layoff to win the Derby was because it was only recently they scheduled the major preps that far out. They were all 3 and 4 weeks away! It was a self-fulfilling prophacy kind of thing.

depalma13
05-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Can I guess that Monarcos nor Sea Hero were even money Preakness favorites? Which of those were undefeated? How many undeafeated Ky Derby winners lost the Preakness? hanks!

None. There have only been three undefeated Derby winners who have entered the Preakness, all have won.

ryesteve
05-19-2006, 11:50 PM
What this little exercise shows is that no horse who had bettered his career Beyer by more than 5 pts. won the Preakness.
In general I'd say it's probalby not a great idea to start betting against a negative "trend" based solely on an 0 for 2 record.

KingChas
05-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Doc , you loved this horse before the Derby.Now with the "Bandwagon Bus" speeding at 100 mph you want to jump off.That's suicide my friend!
:confused: :D

JPinMaryland
05-20-2006, 01:46 AM
"None. There have only been three undefeated Derby winners who have entered the Preakness, all have won."

Not true, Morvich lost in 1922 after winning 12 in a row. Pillory won and Morvich was 2nd. His career came apart after that, horse was quite unsound..

Regret, a great filly, won 10 in a row including the Ky derby in 1914 (first start of her soph yr) then won the Saranac hcp. but did not start again at 3.

Doc
05-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey KingChas, I know I loved him for the Derby, but I was staring at a pari-mutuel payoff of $10 or more, rather than around $3.00, as is the case today. I'm always trying to beat the chalk!

Doc