PDA

View Full Version : Help from Dog Owners with hardwood floors

sq764
05-19-2006, 10:05 AM
About 5 months ago we put in pergo flooring in our kitchen and living room, still had carpeting in the other 2 rooms. About 2 weeks ago I put the hardwood flooring in the other 2 rooms. Just yesterday, my 4 year old lab started acting really weird and would not leave the throw rug in the living room. Apparently he is now terrified to step foot onto the hardwood floors. This morning when I was leaving for work, he sat on the bottom step (which is carpeted) and would not come downstairs to go to the basement..

It's gotten so bad that last night I had to carry him from the carpet to the steps (and he's almost 90 lbs).. We cannot live like this :-)

Anyone else had this happen (and hopefully solved it)

Tom
05-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey sq...welcome back - missed you!

Try this - put him on a safe spot - a carpet on the hardwood floor. Play with him, roughouse him a bit, wrestle him-get his miond on playing. When he gets absorbed in the game, try to slighlty roll him off the rug, but keep up the attention - he might not realize he is off the rug. Might take a few tries to do this.

If all else fails, get a couple of runners so he can have a path.

Good luck

sq764
05-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the advice, worth a try.. Might be good exercise carrying his 90 lb ass all over the house though..

I finally get my son walking and now the dog reverts back to not walking.. I cannot win

chickenhead
05-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Put his food dish out on the hardwood. He'll be cured in no time.

sq764
05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
You're gonna laugh but he wouldn't eat yesterday cause his bowl is on the hardwood..

I fear that I will have a 62 lb emaciated dog on the carpet in 2 weeks

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2006, 12:28 PM
I doubt that this will help much but several years before Butkus (my now-deceased 218-lb lab mix) was put down, we were forced to divest ourselves of an unruly dog that we had rescued from the pound. We just could not get him to not destroy everything he came near.

Anyway, one day we take him from the back yard and out the side gate never to be seen again.

Butkus was traumatized about the back yard! He simply refused to go outside. I can only assume that the way his mind worked, he was saying to himself, "I am not going out there. That's where Jake was stolen from."

So, perhaps you might spend some time slowly introducing him to the floor. (I know that sounds nuts, but what else have you got?) Maybe lay on the floor near him and offer him treats just on the edge of the floor. Might take several days but little by little you work him out to the floor.

Then spend some time with him there so that being on the floor means time with you.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Ponyplayr
05-19-2006, 01:54 PM
It could be the fumes from the glue or the varnish. While you or I may not smell it they can. You may want to leave a few windows open or run a circulating fan to move some air through the house.

ljb
05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
You're gonna laugh but he wouldn't eat yesterday cause his bowl is on the hardwood..

I fear that I will have a 62 lb emaciated dog on the carpet in 2 weeks
Reminds me of the old story about the new dog owner who was talking to his farmer neighbor about feeding dogs.
Farmer said he feeds his dog collard greens.
Guy replies "Man, my dog wouldn't eat collard greens."
Farmer says. "Neither would mine, for the first three days."

sq764
05-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Well I didn't use any glue or varnish..

And the odd part is that we had the flooring in 2 other rooms for 6 months prior to this.. AND this was in for 2 weeks before he started acting like this.

CryingForTheHorses
05-19-2006, 07:40 PM
It could be the fumes from the glue or the varnish. While you or I may not smell it they can. You may want to leave a few windows open or run a circulating fan to move some air through the house.

I think the dog is afraid of his reflection,Adding to the slippery floor..Put him on a leash on the hardwood floor, Put a mirrior if you have a large one and walk him toward the mirror..Let him see himself and at the same time walk on the floor.He may also be afraid of his toenails clicking on the floor when he walks...Hope this helps

fergie
05-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Sorry SQ, but looks like your dog may be a wussy!! But Hey, Man! Have you been working out?

All in fun--good luck--How much does a dog psychologist charge?
Fergie

JustRalph
05-20-2006, 01:16 AM
check his feet too. Make sure nothing in between the pads etc. The hardwood won't give and if he has a burr or something inside a pad.......he is feeling it now...........more than ever............

sq764
05-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Well after all that hassle, he decides he wants to walk on the floors afterall.. Like nothing ever happened..

Animals are tough to figure sometimes I guess..

Dave Schwartz
05-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Looks like LJB was right.

sq764
05-25-2006, 11:17 AM
You're probably right.. Now if I can only figure out why my dog is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, all will be good

JustRalph
05-25-2006, 12:13 PM
You're probably right.. Now if I can only figure out why my dog is terrified of the vacuum cleaner, all will be good

for the same reason I don't stand near locomotives..............

Dave Schwartz
05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh, vaccuum cleaners are bad. LOL - Butkus avoided "jaws" (as we called it) his entire life. Never did get over it.

BTW, if you think that dogs are illogically fear-based, you should try horses. They are a real trip.

Anything that flutters or makes noise can spook them.

One house I lived in years ago came with a 60' x 100' corral in the back yard. In the backyard behind us was a big tree. One time a red plastic bag got caught on one of the branches about 25 feet up. It fluttered and snapped whenever the wind blew (which was often) and the horses were just nuts about it.

Periodically one of them would completely lose it and throw a tantrum of sorts - just bucking and kicking in frustration until she was exhausted. It was actually funny to watch but just not good for the horse.

And the dang thing would not get unlodged! It was up there for a couple of months before we finally had to climb up and remove it.

Once I watched a horse whisperer of sorts training a wild mustang at the state fair. He worked with this 5-yr old stallion who had never been touched - not even forcibly. After several hours (maybe 8 or 9) he could touch and saddle the horse.

On day two, he began training the horse to not be spooked by things. He took a stiff plastic bag that crackled when you touched it and attached it to the end of a broom handle. He then proceeded to touch the horse all over with it, first on one side and then the other.

Apparently, when a horse learns that something won't hurt him on one side, he still has to learn that it won't hurt him from the other side.

They are both smart and dumb at the same time.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PS: Apparently I got carried away. LOL - But it was a good story.
PPS: At least I enjoyed telling it.

sq764
05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
What's funny is we bought our son this little toy lawnmower and even at 18 months old he knows the dog is terrified of it, so he taunts him with it..

One day I came downstairs and he had our dog backed into a corner, I swear he already has a vindictive side to him.. (Must get that from his mother)

DanG
05-29-2006, 10:03 AM
My late Black lab had the same fear. The older she got the worse it was.

Your dog has fallen on this new floor and has struggled getting up.

Every time mine would go in a tiled room…i.e.….kitchen, bathroom she would slip and slide and if she fell she could not get up. This has traumatized your dog and there is no cure other than getting him / her traction.

Cutting their nails as short as possible does help. But your dog is pissed that you “ruined” a perfectly good surface by turning it into a skating rink!...:mad: lol

BTW: This is not an imagined phobia…This breed does not have the greatest of backs to begin with and as they gain weight it just enhances this condition.

Good luck…throw rugs for traction is the dog’s only chance to tell you the truth.