PDA

View Full Version : A nail in my tire

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2006, 09:20 PM
A true story...

Last weekend, after dinner, my wife noticed a nail in our left-front tire. It was 6:15pm and the only place open was Wal-Mart, which was just around the corner. They fixed the tire for $6.50 and off we went.

Tuesday morning I got a "low tire pressure light" and figured the Wal-Mart guy had messed up and I'd take it to Les Schwab, my tire dealer of choice. Sure enough, the plug they put in was leaking.

Upon further inspection, the Schwab guy says, "I don't know how to tell you this but the guy who patched this tire ground down into the cord (on the inside of the tire). The tire is ruined."

I'm thinking about how much it will be to replace the tire when the guy reminds me that my car is all-wheel drive; that I would have to replace all four tires!

So, Beth (my wife) calls Wal-Mart while I am still at the tire store and they agree to reimburse me for the cost of replacing the tires... all $1,100!

I am just blown away that the store - any store - has that much integrity. (And especially Wal-Mart.) I would have at least expected them to haggle over the 40% used tread or demand that I wait the 7 days for them to order the same tires.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
(A guy who regularly bad mouths Wal-Mart.)

JustRalph
05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Jesus Amiga! What the hell kind of car comes with Gold Tires?

Nice............story. Now wake up........ :lol:

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Chrysler Pacifica. Michelin MX4.

'Course I could have gotten them at Costco for $270 less if I was willing to drive a rental car for 10 days.

Dave

toetoe
05-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Costco is a whole other can of worms. They started my lug nuts not by hand, but with the air ratchet. Of course one was crossthreaded and I lost the stud the next time I took off the nut. At least Walmart know better than that.

JustRalph
05-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Dave, that thing doesn't know whether it wants to be a Mini Van or a Sedan.

I have a friend who has one..........lots of room..........

skate
05-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Dave;

my opinion, but...

first, i'd say, never go with a plug. they may have improved, but never... just my thought.

and, something doesn't smell right here, price for the repair says you got "the plug".
but the plug would not require anyone to remove tire, which would be the only way to grind (not needed) to the cord.

the plug should only need to be pushed into the tire from the outside. now a patch is from the inside.
like i say, i wont use a plug on my tires, because of the danger

Pace Cap'n
05-19-2006, 06:17 PM
The repair is often done with a plug AND a patch.

The grinding is necessary to get the plug flush on the inside of the tire, so the patch will get a good seal.

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2006, 07:28 PM
I think you guys missed the point.

The issue was that the tire was damaged into the cord.

Dave

CryingForTheHorses
05-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I think you guys missed the point.

The issue was that the tire was damaged into the cord.

Dave

Point being...Walmart did you good with paying for your replacement tires

skate
05-20-2006, 01:54 PM
oh,

i can see that the tire was damaged to the cord.
yes, real good to have the replacement at no cost.

i should not have commented and hurt some feelings , sorry.

$6.50 for the plug and patch, is a really good bargin. did great and thanks for the story. i should leave it at that.

i realize that my point about the plug was not missed. ? that point being, it is a good idea not to use a plug, at all times.
i don't see a need to remove the tire, unless you patch and if you patch, then you don't (unless rube goldberg) need a plug. but $6.50 is great and , yes sir, free is good also.

skate
05-20-2006, 02:07 PM
pace capn;

save your family, get a new tire girl.

Dave Schwartz
05-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Skate,

If you are talking about me, my feelings were not hurt and you have nothing to apologize for.

Dave

skate
05-20-2006, 09:10 PM
thank you Dave.

superfecta
05-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Being cynical,how in the world does one bad tire translate into four new ones?Every time you blow a tire you have to get a new set?Sounds fishy to me.Glad Wal Mart did more than was expected,but if I was them I would have asked you to let them replace all the tires if thats what needed to be done.As far as plugs and patches go,you do one or the other.Patches are supposed to be better but some swear that a plug is the only way to repair certain sports car tires.But it used to be the other way around a few years ago so who knows :D

Tom
05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Good point, Super-why all four tires?
Dave - did they rotate your license plates, too? :lol:

Murph
05-22-2006, 11:28 AM
I had to call the local Chrysler dealership about this and they confirm what the Schwab gentleman said to Dave. Tire maintenence on these all wheel drive vehicles is critical. Rotation, tread depth and tire balance must stay consistent or else damage to the AWD and suspension electrical components and sensors will likely result.

He also mentioned that their dealership is selling tires at a lower price than the competitors so as to help their customers a bit on this expensive repair.I think I'll keep the old beater going awhile longer before I get something like this.

Murph

hurrikane
05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
What I find incredible about this whole story is that Walmart is replacing all 4 tires for a 6.50 plug. I'm sure they could fight that all the way and win but didn't.

But I can see how some of you would feel the proper way to install a plug would be the important part of the story. :D

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Like you guys, I was astounded as well - not only at the need for 4 new tires but also because of Wal-Mart's reaction.

My first reaction was that Wal-Mart would say, "We'll give you nothing."

(BTW, did I mention I did not have the receipt?)

Then, when they were taking it seriously, I assume that they would offer to replace the tires if we got them directly from them with an adjustment for the 40% tire wear.

And, frankly, I would have gone for that but felt a little abused.

They actually offered to replace the tires and asked us if we could wait a week or more for them to come in. We said, "No."

All in all, I was thrilled with the result.

Dave

skate
05-23-2006, 01:13 PM
funny;

i can see the replacement of all the tires, no problemoo.

i could not care about how "they put in a plug" ( ), but only that a plug should not be used , ever.

everything else is past. but if you have a problem with your tire, it is not a good idea to use a plug. it's easier, but not safe.

a plug is a good way to lose your tire, car and life. it can easily cause a blowout. a patch is safer, put that tire on the rear.

thanks